Root canal > Choosing another cable/internet provider

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 03:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Root canal > Choosing another cable/internet provider

Moving to a new house and am tired of AT&T's crap. I hate Comcast, I refuse to get satellite. I had Time Warner for about 5 years with zero problems, I wish I could have them back.

This fracking sucks.

So say we all...
Old 02-24-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we moved, AT&T was the only company that caused me problems. After two weeks of them not showing up (three separate appointments), I dropped them as my phone carrier and went with Comcast. After a few months of getting screwed by Comcast's rates, I switched to Uverse and standard phone service from AT&T and am MUCH happier now.

Moral of the story: If you're an existing AT&T customer, they treat you like crap. If they think they can win your business, they'll bend over backwards for you.

Now that it's all said and done, I love Uverse.

-Mike
Old 02-24-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

I tried to switch from Comcast to AT&T U-Verse, and I went right back to Comcast after 24 hours. U-Verse and their whole "fiber optic" advertizing is B.S. They still use the copper phone wires up to the house. The length of my run was such that I could only have one HD stream at any given moment, and that includes playback. With Comcast, I have four (actually six if you count the ability to play back an HD stream while recording two others). I have two large HDTVs and two DVRs. AT&T said they could give me two streams, but at reduced quality. Screw that. I have a 73" DLP and the initial single-stream quality was already lower than Comcast.

As much as I gripe about Comcast and their pricing, there is no better alternative for my needs until Verizon gets their fiber (and that's fiber all the way to the house) in my area.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:56 AM
8 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Verizon Fiber rocks!
Old 02-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Curveball TECH

Just be glad you have a choice. I've been stuck with TVMAX for 2 years
Old 02-24-2009, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

i've got ATT DSL and i've never had any problems. my modem went south last thursday and they shipped me a new one, just came in monday. I can't get U-verse in my area, but my parents had it and hated it - their box kept crapping out they'd have to reboot it like 15 times a day.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cut off Charter the day Verizon FiOS became available in my area and haven't looked back since.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mike-
My problem with AT&T is, as stated before, multiple reboots a day, horrible customer service (except for the friend of Crager's that showed up and fixed an on-going issue), the limited use of the STB's as compared to what I had with TimeWarner, the constant billing issues, etc...When Verizon gets FTTH you damn right I'm going with them. Until then it's still getting reamed up the *** by AT&T or Comcrap. I've had 2 root canal procedures that were a walk in the park compared to this **** I've gone through with Comcast and AT&T.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TRANSdAMn 2k
Just be glad you have a choice. I've been stuck with TVMAX for 2 years
I feel for you but it's not much of a choice if your options are **** or crap.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

I use Earthlink.
I get billed through Comcast, but have actually nothing to do with them..
if I am having internet issues I contact earthlink support.
They are very helpful.
I dont know what it is, but my inlaws had comcast and always had problems..
I am using Comcasts cable, but my provider is earthlink, and I never have drop problems, or cable problems..
been with them for 7 years, and I am happy with them.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, my ONLY option is Suddenlink... and they rape me monthly.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Curveball TECH

Sadly the US is just way behind other comparable nations.

"The USA trails other industrialized nations in high-speed Internet access and may never catch up unless quick action is taken by public-policymakers, a report commissioned by the Communications Workers of America warns.

The median U.S. download speed now is 1.97 megabits per second — a fraction of the 61 megabits per second enjoyed by consumers in Japan, says the report released Monday. Other speedy countries include South Korea (median 45 megabits), France (17 megabits) and Canada (7 megabits).

"We have pathetic speeds compared to the rest of the world," CWA President Larry Cohen says. "People don't pay attention to the fact that the country that started the commercial Internet is falling woefully behind."

Rest of the article
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/te...t-speeds_N.htm

Check out this speed test I ran after Ike as soon as my aunt's cable was turned back on (comcast)

When I hit it rich one day there will be nothing less than OC-3 lines running to my castle.