CHL Permit

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blubox
Downside is that when you register for a CHL that becomes public records. Which means I can look up every single CHL carrier just by doing some searches ont he net or going to look through records. http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/2829 read the bottom of this article.

I'm aware of other downsides but don't want to start a huge argument as I'm sure others will disagree.

Another
not in Texas bud. This is from the FAQ portion of the CHL law book so no one gets confused with the legal jargon in GC 411.192

Q: Can others find out if I am licensed to carry a concealed handgun?
A: Information about persons who are licensed to carry a concealed
handgun is confidential and may not be disclosed to an individual.
However, upon proper request by a criminal justice agency, DPS must
disclose to the agency whether or not a named individual is licensed to
carry a concealed handgun. Disclosable information includes the
license holder's name, date of birth, gender, and zip code. DPS must
notify the license holder about the request and provide himlher the
name of the agency making the request.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sleepersilverado
not in Texas bud. This is from the FAQ portion of the CHL law book so no one gets confused with the legal jargon in GC 411.192

Q: Can others find out if I am licensed to carry a concealed handgun?
A: Information about persons who are licensed to carry a concealed
handgun is confidential and may not be disclosed to an individual.
However, upon proper request by a criminal justice agency, DPS must
disclose to the agency whether or not a named individual is licensed to
carry a concealed handgun. Disclosable information includes the
license holder's name, date of birth, gender, and zip code. DPS must
notify the license holder about the request and provide himlher the
name of the agency making the request.
Right, I understand that, the question was what are downsides to CHL carry. That's one of them. ^^^ This above is Texas, other states offer the information to the public.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by obseSSed
correct. IF you are pulled over with a traceable amount of alcohol, regardless of if you are CARRYING or not, if you have a CHL, they can pull your license and you will never be able to get another.
Yeah, I was looking through the NRA when they said cannot be intoxicated in possesion of a fire arm. So you guys are right, I looked for intoxication and it brought up the driving law I'm pretty sure, so I agree I was wrong there.

However, if you do not have your gun, you cannot get in trouble if you are under the legal limit. Just because you have a CHL doesn't mean y ou can never have a beer again, it's only if you have the gun on you. or in the vehicle.

Furthermore, as a non CHL carrier, you do not have to tell an officer if you have a gun in the vehicle. They would like you to but there is no law that says you have to do so. Without probable cause they cannot search. However if they arrest you they are aloud to do an "inventory" which is a bullshit term for search your car, to make sure you get all your property back from the impound..

I was going to say the last paragragh was true for CHL carriers too but I'm not 100% anymore so I will leave that for the next guy to say.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:50 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

There is just waaay to much wrong stuff in this thread, just go here:

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_Forum/index.php

~ Craig
Old 03-05-2009, 02:19 PM
11Second Club

Yes, there's a great deal of misinformation on here. You do not renew every 10 years, it's every 4 years. The law says that it's illegal to be in posession of a firearm (not a CHL) with a blood alcohol content of 0.08% or higher OR to be deemed intoxicated by an officer of the law. It's a stupid way to word it, but the gist of it is that if an officer thinks you're intoxicated, you're screwed. No field sobriety test, no breathalizer. You're screwed.

There aren't many downsides to having a CHL, really. You can buy a gun without the seller having to call the state to get the okay. You are a lot more likely to get out of simple traffic tickets (regardless of what some people might tell you). Oh, and you can defend your family, friends, self, and even strangers from unwarranted deadly threats.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gauge
Yes, there's a great deal of misinformation on here. You do not renew every 10 years, it's every 4 years. The law says that it's illegal to be in posession of a firearm (not a CHL) with a blood alcohol content of 0.08% or higher OR to be deemed intoxicated by an officer of the law. It's a stupid way to word it, but the gist of it is that if an officer thinks you're intoxicated, you're screwed. No field sobriety test, no breathalizer. You're screwed.

There aren't many downsides to having a CHL, really. You can buy a gun without the seller having to call the state to get the okay. You are a lot more likely to get out of simple traffic tickets (regardless of what some people might tell you). Oh, and you can defend your family, friends, self, and even strangers from unwarranted deadly threats.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

There aren't many downsides to having a CHL, really. You can buy a gun without the seller having to call the state to get the okay. .
the selelr does not have to call teh state for anyone. CHL or not.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Im all about defending my family! Right now my 3 dogs and tire buddy are what i rely on but i wouldnt mind a smith&wesson. My father is one of the baddest ***** i know and even he says 3 things"im old and its easier to shoot you" 'Dead men dont testify" and my fav "what are they going to do ask the dead guy what happened?"
Old 03-05-2009, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

I recommend contacting a CHL instructor or the Texas DPS to address your questions. A lot of people hear rumors and accept them as truth or misunderstand certain information and then in turn spread those rumors. There is probably more false information about this topic than most.

Originally Posted by derrickman05
Im Looking in to getting mine. what is the downside of having one? how often do the guys that have a CHL travel strapped? Do you have to renew your CHL?
There is no "down side" as long as you are a responsible firearms owner and obey the laws.

You can travel with your firearm in your vehicle anywhere in the state or a state with reciprocity. But you can not carry a firearm onto a plane or into the secure area of an airport, and flying with a firearm checked in your baggage can be a hassle, depending on what airline you're using and the experience of the people handling your process. Most of the people I know who have a CHL and fly, just leave it at home.

Yes, you have to renew it and requalify.

Originally Posted by derrickman05
Ive heard that if you get pulled over and have even a trace of alcohol on your breath than its a felony if you have a CHL.
That is 100% false. If you are not intoxicated there is no offense.

Originally Posted by A-Dub
You are incorrect. The hand gun codes do not define intoxicated in the same fashion as motor vehicle codes. If you register any traceable amount of alcohol, it is considered intoxicated.
Incorrect.

Originally Posted by obseSSed
correct. IF you are pulled over with a traceable amount of alcohol, regardless of if you are CARRYING or not, if you have a CHL, they can pull your license and you will never be able to get another.
Incorrect.

Yes, there's a great deal of misinformation on here. You do not renew every 10 years, it's every 4 years.
This was changed in the 2007 legislative session.

"HB 1839 Training requirements for renewals
• Provides that a renewal applicant need not complete the otherwise required course in handgun proficiency, nor obtain the otherwise required proficiency certificate, more than once in any 10-year period."

The law says that it's illegal to be in posession of a firearm (not a CHL) with a blood alcohol content of 0.08% or higher OR to be deemed intoxicated by an officer of the law. It's a stupid way to word it, but the gist of it is that if an officer thinks you're intoxicated, you're screwed. No field sobriety test, no breathalizer. You're screwed.
Also incorrect. Intoxication is the loss of mental or physical faculties based on many criteria, the same as proving intoxication for a DWI arrest. An officer merely "thinking" you're intoxicated means nothing if you're either below 0.08 and the elements of the offense aren't met.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got mine when I turned 21.

Gotta re-new this month.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by aggiez28
the selelr does not have to call teh state for anyone. CHL or not.
Technically you dont call the state for anyone, you call the FBI NICS operation center which is in Virgina. It was created from the Brady group or whatever.

However, if you are implying that you dont have to do a background check then you are wrong. There are loopholes, but if you buy a weapon from a licensed FFL retail store. They must either call for a background check or write down your CHL number.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1nterceptor
This was changed in the 2007 legislative session.

"HB 1839 Training requirements for renewals
• Provides that a renewal applicant need not complete the otherwise required course in handgun proficiency, nor obtain the otherwise required proficiency certificate, more than once in any 10-year period."
Please reread the changes.

The renewal period is 4 years after first issue, then 5 years after.

The 10-year period refers to completing proficiency testing, not renewal of the license itself.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/for...16.pdf#page=71 (has all the 2007 legislative changes added)
"Q: How long is a license valid?
A: An initial CHL expires on the license holder's first birthday
following the four-year anniversary of the issuance of the license. In
other words, an intial license is valid for four (4) years, and in many
cases, for some additional months. All renewed licenses are valid for
five (5) years."
Old 03-07-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for all the misinformation about intoxication while carrying:

Texas Government Code Chapter 411, Subchapter H, Section 171 (CHL code)
6) "Intoxicated" has the meaning assigned by Section 49.01,
Penal Code.

Texas Penal Code Section 49.01
(2) "Intoxicated" means:

(A) not having the normal use of mental or physical faculties by reason of the introduction of alcohol, a controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of two or more of those substances, or any other substance into the body; or

(B) having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more.

So, no. You do not need to have a concentration of 0.08 to be in violation. That is up to the officer to prove that you did not have normal use of mental faculty. But, if you have a BAC of 0.08, it is not necessary to prove deminished capacity.