Oil Rig Jobs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rusty2198
I'm a nde (ndt) technician and its getting scary slow out there the last 2 years kicked *** but this year is scary dead. I'm a level 2 UT (flawdetection) level 2 pt, mt, rt, tired of writing I'm level 2 across the board.
Hopefully oil and gas prices will get back up there so we can get back to work
Its slowed down but there are still jobs to be filled. I you have a clean background you can get into aerospace. I contracted for many years in aerospace before landing the instructing job I currently had (I have a daughter now and don't want to be away for months at a time). Yes, everything has slowed down but you can still find jobs in the NDT/NDE/NDI field
Old 03-06-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
most aren't hiring in the O&G field due the obvious price per barrell.

I graduated with a strong petroleum specific degree and couldn't land an oil job... Now I work for an environmental consulting company as a geologist/geotechnical engineer
Consulting is where its at. You don't even need a degree to get on with some consultants. If you have a high school degree you can get on as a tech that will do groundwater/soil sampling and monitoring. At my company they make about 18-20/hr which is not that great compared to some of these oilfield jobs but its better than being bankrupt.

The geotech stuff is pretty slow over here because there is no new construction. But since a lot of what we deal with is clean up of old sites, most of the work is regulator driven which is not affected by oil prices. In fact, with most cities needing the money, regulators are pushing for more sites to clean up because they can get money from permitting. Alternatively, you could get on with a contractor who actually does the cleaning of the sites, they operate excavators, loaders, dozers and all that type of stuff.

FYI I am also a geologist.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Launching!

O&G is slowing way down. The MWD company i have been working for had most of their contracts renegotiated around the first of the year. we lost a bunch of work and lots of us got layed off. the guys who stayed have been with the company for years and were all the lead day hands. most of our work from the houston office was in the Barnett shale.
*if anyone does have leads in O&G jobs i have most if not all certs for work offshore (H2S, safe gulf, HUET) 2 years of experience in mudlogging and MWD/LWD. Willing to work as a roustabout or crew/rigging boat if it gets me off unemployment and out of my new part time job delivering pizzas. its all about networking these days.
email me at bhill81@gmail.com
Old 03-06-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

yea im a wellsite consultant and somebody turned on the vac cleaner and sucked up all the rigs in south texas...we had 12 running in just december and now have 3 running fixing to be only one when these other 2 are done...i actually have 9 staked wells infront of me and 1 built location ready to move on that has been canceled...nobama's no help either...it's gonna get worst before it gets better ( the way they are conducting business in washington)so good luck with your job hunt
Old 03-06-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
Consulting is where its at. You don't even need a degree to get on with some consultants. If you have a high school degree you can get on as a tech that will do groundwater/soil sampling and monitoring. At my company they make about 18-20/hr which is not that great compared to some of these oilfield jobs but its better than being bankrupt.

The geotech stuff is pretty slow over here because there is no new construction. But since a lot of what we deal with is clean up of old sites, most of the work is regulator driven which is not affected by oil prices. In fact, with most cities needing the money, regulators are pushing for more sites to clean up because they can get money from permitting. Alternatively, you could get on with a contractor who actually does the cleaning of the sites, they operate excavators, loaders, dozers and all that type of stuff.

FYI I am also a geologist.

yeah, we are a small company that is doing well and on the up and up... we actually landed two state contracts that are in the multi million dollar scale... got work for a good while LOL.

thank you dry cleaners.

edit: hell i didn't see your location till i looked back... i bet it is cutting it close living in cali for 18/20 dollars an hour...

I make a little more than that but living in texas is cheap cheap cheap. :o
Old 03-06-2009, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

Companys out here like Cimerex still have about 80 wells still need to be drilled. Right now it did slow in the drilling and fracturing, But Chesapeake, Sandridge are still ok. Most work moved east. And up to Wyoming/Colorado. Rowan drilling has some of the Largest on land rigs out here. Our well are about 14-17,000 feet. Deepest out here is about 22,000(exxon/moble.)
Old 03-06-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, we are a small company that is doing well and on the up and up... we actually landed two state contracts that are in the multi million dollar scale... got work for a good while LOL.

thank you dry cleaners.

edit: hell i didn't see your location till i looked back... i bet it is cutting it close living in cali for 18/20 dollars an hour...

I make a little more than that but living in texas is cheap cheap cheap. :o
Yeah, thats what our techs make. I make more than that so its not too bad.

While we are on the subject, thank you: dry cleaners, old airports, rusting pipe, and old time oilfield workers.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

I graduated with a strong petroleum specific degree and couldn't land an oil job... Now I work for an environmental consulting company as a geologist/geotechnical engineer
Just curious, what was your degree?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm a mechanic for Halliburton in Kilgore. We just went from slammed to dead. We were running 5 frac crews catching 20-30 jobs a week and we might have 2 next week. The Hainsville (sp?) shale is not playing out like expected. It is costing a lot of money right now and with the prices low it just isn't worth it. Maybe once they learn how to frac it things will get better but I doubt it.

Halliburton froze all raises for 2009 already. We just had a yard wide drug test in an attempt to weed out some people. Rules are getting tight. Things aren't looking good.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6
I'm a mechanic for Halliburton in Kilgore. We just went from slammed to dead. We were running 5 frac crews catching 20-30 jobs a week and we might have 2 next week. The Hainsville (sp?) shale is not playing out like expected. It is costing a lot of money right now and with the prices low it just isn't worth it. Maybe once they learn how to frac it things will get better but I doubt it.

Halliburton froze all raises for 2009 already. We just had a yard wide drug test in an attempt to weed out some people. Rules are getting tight. Things aren't looking good.
Yea, I noticed the last time I went through Kilgore a week or so ago I saw all of the yards were FULL of equipment again. Im usually down there once or twice every couple of weeks.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

If things get much worse we will have to rent or buy a lot to park all our stuff on. We don't have space on our yard for all our equipment.

Edit: coil tubing is dead here... They are not allowed on the yard unless they are coming or going to a job.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedBaron
Just to let you know, I think I do the same work as the guy you were asking, I have a degree in soil science. We have three other guys in my department, one is a geology major, the other earth science, and the last guy natural resources management.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Bring your big boy shoes.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:11 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6
If things get much worse we will have to rent or buy a lot to park all our stuff on. We don't have space on our yard for all our equipment.

Edit: coil tubing is dead here... They are not allowed on the yard unless they are coming or going to a job.
Really? We had one of your 95s out here. Were still busy in Coiled Tubing so far. But we have smaller units. Our 15ks usually stay busy and we are getting a new 95k soon.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Teching In

It is getting bad here in South Texas, but some companies are still staying constant. Petrohawk is still blowing and going with their horizontal wells and multi stage frac jobs <---(these guys have some awsome wells down here). Conoco is going to drill 2 pilot horizontal wells completed with a cemented liner. They are supposed to have a 4-6000 foot lateral with a multistage system. Chesapeake has all but shut down here in South Texas (from what I have seen). El Paso and Pioneer are both pretty much shut down until the prices come back up. EOG is still drilling down here we did 4 of their last wells and they all came in strong<---- (These guys have some awsome wells). Anadarko is still running strong for the most part. TXCO is forced to keep drilling around the Pawnee area.

Its times like these that test the core of most companies and in the end the strong will remain and the week will falter.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RedBaron
Geosystems Engineering / Hydrogeology
Old 03-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Wow, got quite a few replies, and I've looked in on all the companies mentioned and haven't found much, but that's life and pretty much expected. Any other options you guys can think of? Overseas, maritime, dock work, barge building, field service tech trainee, anything? I can't really go to school at the moment as the fiance is heading back into school.

Yes, I'm hard up, and with only a little bit of machining experience, (95% Automotive, 5% manual lathe and mill) it's tough. Of course, I also know I'm not the only person in the US that's hard up for work, and many people with more experience need jobs. This economy is teh suxor. So when is the Messiabama gonna make the world perfect again?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been on the rigs in S Texas (La Hoya, Zapata, Sullivan City, Rio Grande City, McCook) for almost a year and a half, with steady work. Startin to slow a little, but its still consistant drillin from one well to the next.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Teching In

im probably relocating from new mexico here real soon. i work for one of the worlds largest independantly owned drilling contractors. november we had 19 drilling rigs out in the san juan basin (one of the bigger natural gas fields out there) in november and its now down to 3 rigs, all connoco. its slowed enough my company is now sending three rigs to pennsylania and 3 to australia. if you want a for sure job, look into going to australia. they have a gaurenteed 10,000 wells to dig. my dad and brother are both directional drillers and my dads highly contemplating moving to australia, and so is my other brother who is basically the head of patterson uti's osha dept. ive talked to a few people and i should be getting on with neighbors or h&p down there.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont come up north way. I live in Colorado and work for Nabors and we have layed off damn near 600 people and stacked 22 rigs and are only keeping 2 rigs working. Since last month I had to transfer to Nabors Alaska and come to find out I will be layed off from there in a few weeks. Now I dont know what the hell to do. I have enough saved up for several months but I dont see things coming back for awhile. Its ******* devastating here in Colorado. Roughnecks are working jobs now like mcdonalds and wendys...people are losing their houses and vehicles. This past summer it was huge up here and everyone was hiring like crazy...people were rolling in dough and so was I but now its the total opposite.

Quick Reply: Oil Rig Jobs?