Just got recently got T-Boned and need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got recently got T-Boned and need advice

Short Version

My 01 Z06 got T-Boned and is a total loss. The wreck was not my fault and the other guys insurance AllState is covering the hospital bill and rental. What I'm not positive is what all the other guys insurance should also cover. The car is worth around 19K BB which is pretty much what I owe. Problem is the insurance company is going to lower the value because of the tuned PCM and bonded side panel. Not only that I'm going to lose 2k on a beefed Tranny and Vararam. So my question is what all should I do to avoid losing alot of money.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

DO NOT SETTLE FOR LESS THAN WHAT YOU HAVE INV. the first 3 offers will likely be low ,no shame in telling them NO...
Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Launching!

go take that vararam off and put the stock piece back on so you can sell it.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Teching In

problem Rooster is I no longer have the stock filter. Luckily I still have some stock stuff left to do a swap. Unfortunately a transmission isn't one of them
Old 03-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Launching!

yeah, i meant to put 'if you still have the stock parts'. i figured it would at least help a little, lol. sucks to hear you're in that situation with the car.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got an LT1 PCM that I can put back to a stock tune and trade ya...lol...they will never know..
Old 03-09-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree, don't accept the offer until they give what you have invested. Their customer was at fault, not you. Keep in mind that if your car is setting in a lot it is costing them $ every day, plus it is costing them $ every day for your rental so they do want to settle, but as cheaply as they can.

We had this problem once. My wife got rear ended and they were low balling us because it was a gray market BMW.
We researched the cost of equivalent cars and talked to their adjuster. Then we sent him a letter with what compensation it would take, included copies of the research we did, and sent them copies of receipts for some work done. They gave us what we asked for which was about a $1k more than we paid for the car.

If they won't budge, get a lawyer. They hate that.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Let them pay you the third offer and then buy the car back and part it out or fix it. That's what I did with my TA but my TA was stock and it really isnt totateld if you buy it back DIBS on the rear right quater panel if it isnt messed up? What insurance did he have?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Dude had Allstate. I could part it out but it would take up some yard space. I also don't have enough to buy the car back and pay off the loan
Old 03-09-2009, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

allHATE isn't anything but a crooked company anyways...
Stick it to them as hard as you can..
If it was me, and I was having to deal with allHATE I would have already had a lawyer...
They will not do anything but low ball you, and make you feel like they are doing YOU a favor, when in fact they are bending you over your car, sticking it to you, and smiling about it.......
Old 03-09-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to see a doctor about the back and neck pain you are having.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Teching In

heh well the neck and back isn't that bad right now so I can't pull a fast one.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CorvetteKid
heh well the neck and back isn't that bad right now so I can't pull a fast one.
You should still see one and get proof, who knows maybe th doctor will ask you to see a chiropractor and you can deffently get some money that way at least $800 dollars. Because they are gonna low ball the **** out of you and you mine as well bend them over before they do it to you.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ThunderZ28
If it was me, and I was having to deal with allHATE I would have already had a lawyer...
They will not do anything but low ball you, and make you feel like they are doing YOU a favor, when in fact they are bending you over your car, sticking it to you, and smiling about it.......
This is not going to offer any help for the OP, but just thought I'd comment on this one.

I'm sure each and every insurance company has their good and not so good moments/people.

I've been with Allstate for almost 9 years now and have had to deal with two accidents and have nothing but good to say about them and their service.

First one was a very minor fender bender (<15mph) which was caused by me. Just one minor scratch on the nose of my Z28 which I was able to buff off 90%. No rate increase.

Second one happened to a 95 TA I had bought three months earlier. A 17 year old kid without insurance pulled in front of me from behind a stop sign in his mom's minivan. Allstate totalled my TA, I bought it back and still came over $3K ahead compared to what I paid for it.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Teching In

OK there is no buying back the car. Its called retaining title. Obviously you don't have the title though. The lien holder does, whatever bank/credit company it is financed through.

Couple things come into play here if you want to come out ahead. The insurance company should offer you what 01 Z06s go for in your area. NOT taking into consideration any mods or problems.

When you retain title, the insurance company takes the value of the car (above) and subtracts salvage value out of it and gives you that amount. Assuming you owe a few grand more than that, you have to settle with the lien holder the other amount. Usually they give you a couple of weeks to a month to come up with the money. So if you want to spend the time, have Allstate send the amount to the lien holder and you fork over the rest. You get the title to the car. Sometimes it wont even come as a salvaged title.

You can then part it out and make your money back plus some. I owned my WS6 for 5 months before it was totalled. I did the approach above and made an extra 8K.

If you decide to go that route. Don't let some of the people on here lowball you to death on the entire car once you get it back. Some of the offers I got on here for the entire car once I got it back were ridiculous, actually they were insulting.

I've been through this process with a 91 and 96 Firebird, 95 Camaro, and 02 WS6. Thats right, 3 of my F-bodies have been totalled by other people. The Camaro was my girlfriends and I took care of it for her. I have the best luck.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS 666
OK there is no buying back the car. Its called retaining title. Obviously you don't have the title though. The lien holder does, whatever bank/credit company it is financed through.

Couple things come into play here if you want to come out ahead. The insurance company should offer you what 01 Z06s go for in your area. NOT taking into consideration any mods or problems.

When you retain title, the insurance company takes the value of the car (above) and subtracts salvage value out of it and gives you that amount. Assuming you owe a few grand more than that, you have to settle with the lien holder the other amount. Usually they give you a couple of weeks to a month to come up with the money. So if you want to spend the time, have Allstate send the amount to the lien holder and you fork over the rest. You get the title to the car. Sometimes it wont even come as a salvaged title.

You can then part it out and make your money back plus some. I owned my WS6 for 5 months before it was totalled. I did the approach above and made an extra 8K.

If you decide to go that route. Don't let some of the people on here lowball you to death on the entire car once you get it back. Some of the offers I got on here for the entire car once I got it back were ridiculous, actually they were insulting.

I've been through this process with a 91 and 96 Firebird, 95 Camaro, and 02 WS6. Thats right, 3 of my F-bodies have been totalled by other people. The Camaro was my girlfriends and I took care of it for her. I have the best luck.
^^^ This mas speaks the troof!!
Old 03-10-2009, 03:49 AM
TECH Regular

Unfortunately that would apply to all insurance companies not just Allstate
Old 03-10-2009, 05:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Texfinn
This is not going to offer any help for the OP, but just thought I'd comment on this one.

I'm sure each and every insurance company has their good and not so good moments/people.

I've been with Allstate for almost 9 years now and have had to deal with two accidents and have nothing but good to say about them and their service.

First one was a very minor fender bender (<15mph) which was caused by me. Just one minor scratch on the nose of my Z28 which I was able to buff off 90%. No rate increase.

Second one happened to a 95 TA I had bought three months earlier. A 17 year old kid without insurance pulled in front of me from behind a stop sign in his mom's minivan. Allstate totalled my TA, I bought it back and still came over $3K ahead compared to what I paid for it.
Hah..
I speak from being in your position...
I had alHATE..
had them, for 5 -7 years..
liked them..
I had house, auto, life, everything thruogh them, because they "offered" a discount..
I never really had to use the insurance.. if anything they made money, cause of raising the insurance...(tickets)

Then out of the blue I get a 1200 rate increase.....
Thats right $1200
did a little digging, and come to find out they had added my sister in-law with out notifying me..
(she was 18, and staying with us untill my inlaws got their house built.)
so Alstate went to the DMV saw she was living there, and promptly added her to our insurance...
The frigging girl wasn't even mine..
Related by marriage, and didn't even have the my last name.
needless to say when alcrap was called on their mistake they acted like that was normal policy..
nothing wrong.. and they coudnt find proof that they had notified us..(go figure)
went round and round with them about this until finally they got a different call from a different person.. Enter the lawyer..
thats the only way you are going to get what you have coming from this crooked insurance company..
and I have been with most of them.. trust me...
I came through the risk pool,when I first started driving, high rates, etc...I am with progressive now... and they treat me like you say Alcrap treats you..
no reason to get up set...
I am not telling the guy to go and get him a lawyer, and settle for 90,000
he should just get what he has coming..
medical expenses, car payoff. etc...

Good luck OP, hope you at least break even.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hah..
I am with progressive now... and they treat me like you say Alcrap treats you..
no reason to get up set...
Like I said, each insurance company has their good and not so good moments/people. People have a lot to do with it, too. My Allstate agent and his staff have been of great help for me.

And if by being upset you are referring to me, I am not one bit upset, just thought I'd tell about my experience about Allstate.

Anyway... Back to the issue at hand. All the best to you, OP. Hopefully you'll get everything worked out okay.

BTW, when Allstate totalled my 95 TA three years ago, the adjuster said he checked NADA value and then he added a couple grand "for the nice condition the car is in and for the nice wheels you have". He said it pretty much using those exact words. Well, it actually was in really good condition and had only 89K miles. The wheels were 16" Eagle 077's which I had just polished so I guess my work made an impression on him.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by texfinn
like i said, each insurance company has their good and not so good moments/people. People have a lot to do with it, too. My allstate agent and his staff have been of great help for me.

And if by being upset you are referring to me, i am not one bit upset, just thought i'd tell about my experience about allstate.

Anyway... Back to the issue at hand. All the best to you, op. Hopefully you'll get everything worked out okay.

Btw, when allstate totalled my 95 ta three years ago, the adjuster said he checked nada value and then he added a couple grand "for the nice condition the car is in and for the nice wheels you have". He said it pretty much using those exact words. Well, it actually was in really good condition and had only 89k miles. The wheels were 16" eagle 077's which i had just polished so i guess my work made an impression on him. :d
no problem .......

Last edited by ThunderZ28; 03-10-2009 at 10:02 AM.