650R installed and ready to rumble!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F8L SNK
Weigh the IHRA crank and then weigh a Viper crank. No way a stock crank will see that RPM

I have heard of some new cranks coming out and it may be possible!
Lighter cranks are better for horsepower but crankshaft speed is almost totally irrelevant.

All the engine understands is piston speed. It doesn't care if you get there from stroke or RPM. It's all the same.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Teching In

It does care if it tears up crank bearings due to deflection! The cranks in the Vipers get bad vibration due to flex at higher RPM.

The engine understands more than just Piston Speed!! You are use to thinking V8's!!!

Originally Posted by Ben R
Lighter cranks are better for horsepower but crankshaft speed is almost totally irrelevant.

All the engine understands is piston speed. It doesn't care if you get there from stroke or RPM. It's all the same.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:03 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I chatted with a Viper powertrain engineer over on the VCA site, he also mentioned that the V10 has oil starvation issues beyond 6K rpm. Not due to the pickup, but the oiling system to supply the crankshaft. So yes, they like to spin rod bearings above 6K rpm. Sure would be nice to hit 7K rpm, but nobody has a good reliable method to do so yet.

Those headers look very nice. Same catback as on my car, since Nick built/installed it while he was at MTI. It has a deep sound, but is very loud. Your car will be loud as f-ck with that system, mine still has high-flow cats and it is super loud.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

The American Racing headers would have been my choice because of the merge collector. It would be interesting to see dyno #'s with each exhaust sysetm.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor / 7 Second Club

It does care if it tears up crank bearings due to deflection! The cranks in the Vipers get bad vibration due to flex at higher RPM.

The engine understands more than just Piston Speed!! You are use to thinking V8's!!!
That is hilarious. You think that a stock crank making under 1000 hp is going to flex. The viper having 2 extra cylinders doesnt have much to do with it. Ben and gray are correct. Tony you hit the nail on the head . Viper engines have more oiling issues than the LS1 stuff.

Sorry for the thread hijack Garret. Your stuff looks great. But if you want to see "trick" you know you can stop by the shop anytime.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:53 AM
8 Second Club

Dry Sumps are the solution to those oiling problems.. Do work son!

G the car looks like its going to make some nice power!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Deflection doesn't occur because something is spinning really fast. It happens because you've overpowered the crank. And I don't think a stock Viper with a few bolt-ons and a tune is gonna do that.

If you're spinning bearings and you don't have a huge blower mounted to it somehow it's an oiling system or engine assembly problem. With the LS1 there are modifications you can do to the oiling system to really help yourself. If you had a Viper block, a flashlight, a can of WD-40, and some brain power you could probably map the system out in your garage and maybe find a way to help yourself, but it sounds like the mains get oiled last, which obviously sucks.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Worm Boy
The American Racing headers would have been my choice because of the merge collector. It would be interesting to see dyno #'s with each exhaust sysetm.

Wasn't sure that AR made headers for the Gen 4?

Description of Hennessey's headers:

100% Aircraft Quality T304 Stainless Steel Construction, 1 7/8 inch Primary Tubes, Burns 5-to-1 Stainless Steel Merge Collectors, Half Inch Thick CNC Machined Stainless Steel Flanges, Includes New Factory Exhaust Manifold Gaskets, 100% TIG Welded

Not sure if John put it on the dyno before hand or not. If not I am guessing around the 545-550 range.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Sorry I listened to Brian at LME as well as others with experience on the Viper motors. I am not an expert, and don't claim to be, but I listen very well. Forgot you and Gray are gods!

G, sorry for derailing the post as well.

Originally Posted by GoldRust
That is hilarious. You think that a stock crank making under 1000 hp is going to flex. The viper having 2 extra cylinders doesnt have much to do with it. Ben and gray are correct. Tony you hit the nail on the head . Viper engines have more oiling issues than the LS1 stuff.

Sorry for the thread hijack Garret. Your stuff looks great. But if you want to see "trick" you know you can stop by the shop anytime.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:30 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by G-Z06
Wasn't sure that AR made headers for the Gen 4?

Description of Hennessey's headers:

100% Aircraft Quality T304 Stainless Steel Construction, 1 7/8 inch Primary Tubes, Burns 5-to-1 Stainless Steel Merge Collectors, Half Inch Thick CNC Machined Stainless Steel Flanges, Includes New Factory Exhaust Manifold Gaskets, 100% TIG Welded

Not sure if John put it on the dyno before hand or not. If not I am guessing around the 545-550 range.
G, those pics you posted do not have a merge collector. See how the pipes all just merge into a uniform pipe diameter (guessing 3") and do not neck down? Merge collectors drop down in diameter and then quickly expand in diameter afterwards. This is believed to promote an increase in velocity, to assist with speeding up the exhaust leaving the cylinders. On some cars, it works great, on others it hasn't shown any gains. Pics of the AR headers that Wormy posted show a merge collector.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:31 PM
8 Sec Tuner

Originally Posted by Worm Boy

That would be a great choice IF the ARH headers fit a viper. We did a 06 SRT and had them ship us 3 sets of their headers. None of the passenger side headers were made correct. After being fed up with ARH's quality I had them pay KOOKS to overnight me a set of Kooks headers. Fit perfect the first time!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry I listened to Brian at LME as well as others with experience on the Viper motors. I am not an expert, and don't claim to be, but I listen very well. Forgot you and Gray are gods!

LME does have a lot of experience with spun bearings, but it's probably never had anything to do with overpowering a crankshaft.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

LME does have a lot of experience with spun bearings, but it's probably never had anything to do with overpowering a crankshaft.
OUCH Ben!! i wish I could afford a Viper :-(
Old 03-17-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ohh man...
Old 03-17-2009, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

the new gen IV does not have the same oiling issues that plagues the previous V cars. the setup does not promote oil starvation above any certain RPM and has better oiling and less cavatation charactersitics of the afore mentioned V cars. now boost on the other hand will most likely promote crank deflection and it is not measured by the amount of hosrepower produced but yet by the volume of pressure filling one such cylinder. sorry again G to go off topic but there is a lot of Viper misinformation here or V10 should i say.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Garrett, saw your car on the dyno today! Sounds STRONG and LOUD
Old 03-17-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

well they both attended and graduated from an engine machining and buildling school, LOL.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Launching!

Heres an update and dyno numbers!

Video of the dyno

The power is down due to the the new PCM that has to "relearn" the system. We est. a fairly big jump when the car is "taught" what was done to it.

The new PCM also redlines @ 6500rpm you can see where it flatlines at around 5500 RPM's

We didnt get a chance to do a before and after dyno.

I just compared my numbers to the 09 ACR from DC performance

Headers 605hp 568tq
Headers/ Computer 618hp 594tq

You can see the TQ numbers are close but the HP is down.

After some miles I am going to stop by LMR and slap it on the dyno to see what the difference is in a few weeks.

Car sounds amazing! And feels like a whole new car.

I want to Thank John publicly for taking care of the car when it was down at HPE for a few days getting the 650R pacakge.

His staff kept me up to date on everything they were doing.

When I went to pick the car up it was cleaned up and looked brand new waiting for me in the shade.

Tony the gentlemen that worked on the car came out and asked me if I had any questions and let him know if I had any issues to give him a call.

Top notch service all the way around.

Thanks again John no question you will be getting more of my business in the near future.

Regards
G
Old 03-18-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds and Looks AMAZING
Old 03-18-2009, 08:22 PM
12 Second Club

Congrats Garett, the car sounds real good.