Another reason to hate valet's

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 06:58 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Another reason to hate valet's

OK, first off, I never let valet's park our cars and try to avoid places that are valet only. Last night my wife and I decided to try Nelore Churrascaria. We had heard it was very good like Fogo so we figured we would give it a shot. We get over there and it is valet only so I drive by and go around the block looking for other options to find out I will just get towed. So, we pull in and the valet opens the door. The Camaro is my wife's DD and she is almost as protective of it as I am. She immediately asks if we can self park it somewhere and the guy laughs and says no. I am trying to to ruin the evening so I let it go. I watch him park the car about 15 feet away from the front door so I am ok with it.

During dinner I start thinking that I prob need to tip this guy a buck or 2 even though I hate mandatory valet parking. I figure he is just doing his job and was careful with it (and I can see it from the table so I know he isn't out going for a spin). After I pay the bill I pull my wallet out to realize I don't have anything smaller than a $10. I ask my wife and she only has larger bills too. Then I remember that I got some $1 coins back out of the automated machine at the post office. I hate having them in my pocket so I figure I will just tip him with that. They spend the same so that's fine. We go outside and he remembers us. He says "You had to Bentley right?" We all chuckle and I said "Not exactly." As he walks off he mumbles something about "just an old Camaro" Granted it's 7 years old, but it only has 54k and is in perfect condition. WTF is this guys problem. It was nicer than several of the other cars there. Oh well, F him, I put all the $1 coins back in my pocket except one. I still figure I should tip the guy, but he's not getting any generosity off of me after that comment. When he pulls up he stays in the drivers seat while I open the door for my wife. As I walk around he gets out so I can get in. I hand him the $1 coin and he gives me this looks and says "No, really, you can just keep the change" I don't think he even paid attention to the fact that it wasn't a quarter. I told him it was his. He said no again. I decided I had enough of this guy and said "Well, that was about all you earned anyway", took it back so he would get his arm out of the car, and left.

This just gives me more reason to despise valet's. WTF is their deal. I valet'd for a short time in college which is why I never let valet's touch my cars. Every time I read a thread about "A valet wrecked my car......." I can think back to how common it was for the guy I worked with to pull crap like that. I also remember that even small tips add up pretty quick. I guess valet's have gotten stuck up and expect better.

Do you guys ever get crap like this because you are in an "old" car. It just pisses me off.

BTW, Nelore Churrascaria was ok, but Fogo is much better even though it costs about $10 more.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Valets now a days are mostly foreigners who will work for less than most people here and they could care less about their job or making money.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shouldn't get so offended. Whenever someone talks **** about my car I just think that they are jealous which most of the time they are. They usually don't have anything close to a better car than me.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So the guy greeted you, parked it close while watching it for a couple of hours before pulling it up and you think his job was only worth a $ 1?
Old 03-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Launching!

I was going to tip him before before his comment. Plus, it was valet only. I didn't choose to have him valet the car.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Banned

Well in your post you said "i figured i should give this guy a buck or two" so you were only going to give him $2 before he made the comment? I worked in the service industry back in the day during my college years and to be honest I would have told you to keep the change or **** off or something...lol.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is no such thing as "Mandatory Valet" you had the option of parking your car a few blocks away and making your date walk (real classy) but you chose to turn around and use their service. Another way of getting out of it is tipping let's say a $5 or a $ 10 and telling them you want to park it yourself.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

So you go to a nice restaurant where nothing happened to your car and you go to tip the valet 1 dollar? I would have given you the dollar back as well. Sound more like you were the jerk than he was. In addition, before you jump my chain I was a valet and I waited tables all through college.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Valets now a days are mostly foreigners who will work for less than most people here and they could care less about their job or making money.
Yeah because foreigners don't pay bills and could care less if they don't make any money.

Nice Camaro btw I have always liked that body style even though it's "old".

Last edited by 99problemz; 03-21-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Linxs
So you go to a nice restaurant where nothing happened to your car and you go to tip the valet 1 dollar? I would have given you the dollar back as well. Sound more like you were the jerk than he was. In addition, before you jump my chain I was a valet and I waited tables all through college.

First, I was going to tip him more. Then he made a sorry comment. (If you work at a nice restaurant you know better than that regardless of your job there) Then he just sat there waiting for my wife to get in and didn't get out until I walked around to the drivers door. After that, your damn right I wasn't going to give him more than $1. I was a valet and I know what is expected.

As far as parking a few blocks away...like I said, we drove around there wasn't street parking anywhere and any other adjacent lots had signs letting you know it would be towed. My wife did ask about us parking it and he refused. It's not like we didn't look for another option.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you really find his comment to be THAT offensive? Really?

What difference does it make if he gets out of the car before you walk around it or not?
Old 03-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99problemz
Did you really find his comment to be THAT offensive? Really?

What difference does it make if he gets out of the car before you walk around it or not?
When I was a valet...we were to get out and open the passenger door if there was a passenger. He just sat there while we stood there. Once I opened the passenger door he still sat in the drivers seat and watched my wife get in. He still didn't open the drivers door and get out until I had walked over to the drivers side. WTF was he waiting for to get out? Was he enjoying the song on the radio?
Old 03-21-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99problemz
Yeah because foreigners don't pay bills and could care less if they don't make any money.

Nice Camaro btw I have always liked that body style even though it's "old".
Thanks for the compliments, but here is my rationale behind my comment. I work in a high end dealership. Recently we brought in a valet service to park cars for us. The have been here 2 weeks and have damaged or wrecked 7 cars. Not a single person on the valet staff is of American descent. I am not sterotyping, but just forming an opinion based on what I have seen here.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
First, I was going to tip him more. Then he made a sorry comment. (If you work at a nice restaurant you know better than that regardless of your job there) Then he just sat there waiting for my wife to get in and didn't get out until I walked around to the drivers door. After that, your damn right I wasn't going to give him more than $1. I was a valet and I know what is expected.
Yes i can understand giving a dollar when you do not get good service. I only based my comment off your statment of tipping him 1-2 dollars.

I completly understand not tipping well for POOR service.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Thanks for the compliments, but here is my rationale behind my comment. I work in a high end dealership. Recently we brought in a valet service to park cars for us. The have been here 2 weeks and have damaged or wrecked 7 cars. Not a single person on the valet staff is of American descent. I am not sterotyping, but just forming an opinion based on what I have seen here.
Well, those would be called dumbasses and they come in every size, shape and color.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
When I was a valet...we were to get out and open the passenger door if there was a passenger. He just sat there while we stood there. Once I opened the passenger door he still sat in the drivers seat and watched my wife get in. He still didn't open the drivers door and get out until I had walked over to the drivers side. WTF was he waiting for to get out? Was he enjoying the song on the radio?
Yeah, i agree he should have gotten out as soon as your wife sat down.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

I don't care for Valet's either when driving my 9 yr old Camaro.. Back when it was still a little chilly outside I had driven past the Valet and parked the car myself.. He deadheaded for my car, and actually asked me to allow him to re-park the car.. "There were only about 10 cars in the 50+ car lot".. So,i step out to appease him he backs the car into the spot directly behind the one i had parked in.

So, i am there a few hours.. it is colder, i have a cam with .612 lift and stalled.. As most of you know, cold weather, big cam is not fun when you don't have a clue..? I requested to go retrieve my car which was denied,, (liability reasons). i hear the guy crank up my car.. it idles a little and dies.. he starts cranking it again obviously flooding it out..!! Finally gets it started, throws it in drive and the car bucks out and dies.. I then run over there, tell the guy to GTFO!!! and i fire it up, and drive out.. NO TIP!!!

I am sure some of you guys can relate... I too am a bit **** when it comes to my fbod.. Guess they are like "Bentley's" to some of us..
Old 03-21-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lol for the three hours i worked as valet (lol yeah 3 hours it's gay) you go through alot of cars and then all the cars begin to get boring, it's just another car.

dont loose any sleep over it anyways, it's just some highschool kid doing it part time afterschool anyways, not like he's making it a career and values his job
Old 03-21-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a tip, it's better to tip the valet before you give him the keys. They'll take better care of it. Never wait til afterwards to tip. My brother used to valet back in the day and all the valets took good care if you tipped ahead of time.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dubrado
Just a tip, it's better to tip the valet before you give him the keys. They'll take better care of it. Never wait til afterwards to tip. My brother used to valet back in the day and all the valets took good care if you tipped ahead of time.
Yup