Weight lifting gurus... I have a couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you maintain your arch, you can still go below paralell.
When you go down below parallel the load should naturally transfer to your hips.
If you are flexible enough you can still keep your arch, but its your choice, personally i get pain in my knees if i stop and dont go further down.
Im not going so low that i round my back.
but then again i might be totally wrong
Old 03-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Launching!

i strongly recommend the P90X workout program to everyone now that i am nearly done with it. i used to be on the powerlifting team in college and have always enjoyed working out. P90X is a great program. i can't say enough good things about it. it will get you in excellent all around shape. i know a lot of peope besides myself that are having and have had great success with it. it has a great eating program that tells you what to eat and when to eat it. takes all of the guess work out of it. you work out 6 times a week for about 1 hour 15 min. a day.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastB
i strongly recommend the P90X workout program to everyone now that i am nearly done with it. i used to be on the powerlifting team in college and have always enjoyed working out. P90X is a great program. i can't say enough good things about it. it will get you in excellent all around shape. i know a lot of peope besides myself that are having and have had great success with it. it has a great eating program that tells you what to eat and when to eat it. takes all of the guess work out of it. you work out 6 times a week for about 1 hour 15 min. a day.
Yeah and it only cost $120. No thanks. There are many more workout programs out there for way less that offer results. If you need a workout program pick up a muscle and fitness mag and read read read and you will learn alot on how to work out.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Launching!

$120 is pretty cheap considering everything that is included and compared to a gym membership. although i still have my membership at life time, for some reason. i'm not saying other work out programs don't work. this one is just easy to follow and works well for people that don't want to have to do the research to put a couple of different work out programs together and a good menu to eat 6 times a day and be able to stick with it. trust me, i know how to work out. a lot of people that buy the program are athletes, it is not really designed for people that are way out of shape and have no experience working out. although there have been some very out of shape do the program and do very well, it just takes them longer to be able to do all of the exercises properly.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Squats are a key leg builder.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ATG Squats. The best workout hands down for putting on wieght. Please somebody tell me im wrong lol.

And as far as the weaker one arm, you are doing it backwards, lift your max with your strong arm, it will really push the weaker arm and in time it will catch up. Just stick with it. Dedication is the name of the game.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rapin'Ya
Never go all the way down...that is the FASTEST way to blow OUT your knees. nice and controlled with your femor being parallel to the floor. no more than that.
False. If you blow out your knees then you don't know your limits, plus it's harder on your knees to stop at parallel.

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
This is incorrect. You only go till your thighs are parallel to the ground, past that is what kills your knees and has no more significant gains. In competetion you are only required to go to parallel.
False. It's actually harder on the knees to stop momentum at parallel then start again, plus you lose some distance to get the weight back up, therefore you are not taking full advantage of the exercise.

Just check out the bodybuilding.com forums. Lot's of good stuff on there.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
I've always had the problem, that my right arm is larger/stronger then my left. It can lift more/curl more etc etc. I can tell that my bi's/tri's are larger. Whats the best way to fix this? If I do single arm excercises. My right arm can do more weight/reps so I sometimes just match whatever my left arm can do, but that doesnt feel like my right arm is getting any kind of work out at all. I know its somewhat common, but it bothers the hell out of me. Any tips?

Also, I'm trying to put some weight on, but when it comes to leg works outs. Leg presses/leg machines etc etc dont feel like they do much, the only time that I actually feel a good burn and am sore the next day is when I do plyometrics. But plyos isnt going to put size on, only make me quicker and give me a higher vertical(which I'm interested in increasing) etc etc. Any work out plans that you guys do that will increase size? Do I need to do squats? I havent done them in about a yr, bc of all the horror stories I've heard about.
Tricep's are 2/3 of your arm size.. train biceps less.. train triceps harder.. but don't always use pushdowns.. use barbell ext to the chin, forehead.. change your grip.

Now for BIG leg size.. Squat is your only answer.. Ive squatted 866lbs when I was really in powerlifting some time back.. Leg presses/sled are for bodybuilding goons.. stay with barbell squats and go heavy.. you will put on size trust me. Keep your legs close you if want your waist to stay small.. go wide and really move some iron..
You have heard horror stories because people don't have the technique to squat correctly.. I have a plastic knee cap, screws and pins in my right knee I destroyed in High School years ago.. never had a problem with the big iron.
Squatting big is all technique.
Im 6'0 320lbs now... I squatted 866lbs at about 295lb bodyweight.
Give it time. it will come.. pull a weighted sled.. use a wheelbarrow..
think big and you will be big

Hope this helps you..
Old 03-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

12oz of bud n the right arm n 24oz n the left slow reps till ur empty then just do it all over again till u get tired.... will notice a diffrence in a matter of days...lol
Old 03-26-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Junkie

I appreciate the advice guys. I'll def start doing squats. Just gotta make sure I'm doing it right. Alot of my workouts I do by myself(bc of my random schedule). I wasnt able to do any legs today, got tied up with bball.

And as far as arms go, You guys suggest to do to heavy weight with my left arm? I cant do nearly as much as my right arm. I need to makes sure that I do the same amount of reps though, correct?

By the way, I'm only 6'2, 200lbs. Im not looking to get huge, Just bigger. I want to keep the bball player type frame. So I wont be doing near the weight as some of you
Old 03-26-2009, 01:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
I've always had the problem, that my right arm is larger/stronger then my left.
Hmm I have the same problem but it's not because i work out, lol Jk
Old 03-26-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TLUZLS1
False. If you blow out your knees then you don't know your limits, plus it's harder on your knees to stop at parallel.

False. It's actually harder on the knees to stop momentum at parallel then start again, plus you lose some distance to get the weight back up, therefore you are not taking full advantage of the exercise.

Just check out the bodybuilding.com forums. Lot's of good stuff on there.
You are false, you over extend your miniscus and acl when you go past parallel. Touch your calves to you hanstrings with 3 plates on the bar. Do this a few times and come back with the results. In competetion you are only required to go parallel. They know what happens if you go past. DIstance to get the weigh up is not a measure of strength. Momentum has nothing to do with working out. If you use momentum then you arent strong enough and need to kick the weight down.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

always start with your weaker arm. Squats are great excersice to build size. Its one of the basic must do moves. You should go down far enough like you are sitting on a bench, not all the way down. You might get away with *** to the ground with light weight (maybe), but most likely blow your knees out later
Old 03-26-2009, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

Distance to get the weigh up is not a measure of strength. Momentum has nothing to do with working out. If you use momentum then you arent strong enough and need to kick the weight down.
this.

Packing on size is all about controlled movements. If you can't control the weight and maintain proper form, you're wasting your time in the gym (and you look like a fool.)

All too often, I and many others I'm sure, see the guys in the gym throwing plates on the bars and machines only to use their entire body to move the weight. Like single arm rows, certain people turn their hips, lean back, etc, etc, instead of focusing the movement on the muscles intended to be worked.

Put the ego aside and use a weight that you can feel comfortable with and develop a feel for the muscles you're training. Getting a maximum squeeze, stretch, and pause is really going to tear the muscle fibers and give you a good feeling the next day.

To the OP, squats my man. Leg press is good, but NOTHING can stack up to the complex motion that is squats. Parallel is all you need to go to. Don't try and be some badass and touch your "*** to the grass" that some high school gym coach told you to do. Like has been said, what do the professionals do? Are they really going all the way down? I don't think so. Keep your form PERFECT. Keep your back straight (don't roll it), stick your *** out, tilt your head up when you press up, and keep your feet at shoulder width. Again, start with just one plate on each side (135 lbs.) and work your way up from there.

Don't be a typical gym dummy; start with low weight, keep your form perfect, get a maximum stretch, and feel the muscles being worked. Like an old bodybuilder once said, "If you can't feel them (muscles) being worked, you're not working them."

Good luck!

P.S. As Neal said, get on bodybuilding.com and start researching. There is more knowledge there than you could ever want. It's also VERY inspiring.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts

Good God man you are a Freaking HOSS

6,0 320 POUNDS Damn

Originally Posted by Lc2SFIv6
Tricep's are 2/3 of your arm size.. train biceps less.. train triceps harder.. but don't always use pushdowns.. use barbell ext to the chin, forehead.. change your grip.

Now for BIG leg size.. Squat is your only answer.. Ive squatted 866lbs when I was really in powerlifting some time back.. Leg presses/sled are for bodybuilding goons.. stay with barbell squats and go heavy.. you will put on size trust me. Keep your legs close you if want your waist to stay small.. go wide and really move some iron..
You have heard horror stories because people don't have the technique to squat correctly.. I have a plastic knee cap, screws and pins in my right knee I destroyed in High School years ago.. never had a problem with the big iron.
Squatting big is all technique.
Im 6'0 320lbs now... I squatted 866lbs at about 295lb bodyweight.
Give it time. it will come.. pull a weighted sled.. use a wheelbarrow..
think big and you will be big

Hope this helps you..
Old 03-26-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by H/C/I Stang
this.

Packing on size is all about controlled movements. If you can't control the weight and maintain proper form, you're wasting your time in the gym (and you look like a fool.)

All too often, I and many others I'm sure, see the guys in the gym throwing plates on the bars and machines only to use their entire body to move the weight. Like single arm rows, certain people turn their hips, lean back, etc, etc, instead of focusing the movement on the muscles intended to be worked.

Put the ego aside and use a weight that you can feel comfortable with and develop a feel for the muscles you're training. Getting a maximum squeeze, stretch, and pause is really going to tear the muscle fibers and give you a good feeling the next day.

To the OP, squats my man. Leg press is good, but NOTHING can stack up to the complex motion that is squats. Parallel is all you need to go to. Don't try and be some badass and touch your "*** to the grass" that some high school gym coach told you to do. Like has been said, what do the professionals do? Are they really going all the way down? I don't think so. Keep your form PERFECT. Keep your back straight (don't roll it), stick your *** out, tilt your head up when you press up, and keep your feet at shoulder width. Again, start with just one plate on each side (135 lbs.) and work your way up from there.

Don't be a typical gym dummy; start with low weight, keep your form perfect, get a maximum stretch, and feel the muscles being worked. Like an old bodybuilder once said, "If you can't feel them (muscles) being worked, you're not working them."

Good luck!

P.S. As Neal said, get on bodybuilding.com and start researching. There is more knowledge there than you could ever want. It's also VERY inspiring.
Some good info. You definately know what you are talking about. I read a while back that each rep is supposted to take 4-6 seconds. Slowly bring it up, then slowly down. With a pause at the top. Not up and down in 2 seconds or less.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

Some good info. You definately know what you are talking about. I read a while back that each rep is supposted to take 4-6 seconds. Slowly bring it up, then slowly down. With a pause at the top. Not up and down in 2 seconds or less.
Precisely. It's not about lifting the weight, it's about controlling the weight. Those ~2 second reps are considered throwing the weight around. Not focusing on your lift. Yes, it is MUCH harder to lift slowly and you'll more than likely have to drop weight, but since when did anything worthwhile come easily?

Press slowly, squeeze at the top (feel the muscles contract), SLOWLY lower the weight, get a full stretch at the bottom, feel those muscle fibers tear (dumbells are good for this so that you may go past a barbell's limits), and repeat.

You could have a professional looking chest, for example, and only be able to press ~200 lbs. Whereas another person may be able to press ~350+ lbs., but have a very small chest. Recruit only the muscles you intend to work, feel the lift, and enjoy some VERY sore muscles the next day.

Just remember to put aside your ego and lift smart.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Precisely. It's not about lifting the weight, it's about controlling the weight. Those ~2 second reps are considered throwing the weight around. Not focusing on your lift. Yes, it is MUCH harder to lift slowly and you'll more than likely have to drop weight, but since when did anything worthwhile come easily?

Press slowly, squeeze at the top (feel the muscles contract), SLOWLY lower the weight, get a full stretch at the bottom, feel those muscle fibers tear (dumbells are good for this so that you may go past a barbell's limits), and repeat.

You could have a professional looking chest, for example, and only be able to press ~200 lbs. Whereas another person may be able to press ~350+ lbs., but have a very small chest. Recruit only the muscles you intend to work, feel the lift, and enjoy some VERY sore muscles the next day.

solid advice,
typical of most gyms where some guys have too big ego's
thats why i have always prefferd dungeon type gyms and not the primetime healthclubs like bally's and 24hr. i go to fitness connection, but i hate it, if im there after 5pm, its pandemonium, too may ppl, weights all over the floor, the gonzos throwing around weights and yellin. etc., etc.

is all about form, concentration and tempo. correct eccentric and concentric movements.
proper form and quality with controlled movement. and sufficient reps, no need for 12+ reps to build mass. if u can do more than 10 reps, with a controlled movement and tempo. its too light to build mass and strength.
progressive weight is the key.
focus on form and watch the weight increase, pumps,strength, and mass begin to build up noticably. just use suffient weight to accomplish your goal,
dont get fooled into throwing the weights around.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm Mike Hutto

Originally Posted by madmike9396
Good God man you are a Freaking HOSS

6,0 320 POUNDS Damn
thats no hoss dude. thats a freaking cow. 25+ % body fat at least!

In order to release the test stored in your legs (70% of your body's test is stored in your legs) high reps will help unleash it. 20-25 MAX. DC training is all about building MASS.

Last edited by Rapin'Ya; 03-26-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm Mike Hutto

Press through the heels of your feet as well. the most important thing people are forgetting besides form is the mind. concentrate your mind on the muscles you are working at that time. it will lead to proper form as well.