hazmat endorsment, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hazmat endorsment, anyone?

im looking to get mine, any tips would help alot.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:15 AM
Teching In

cristcdl.com i used this site to study for mine and it's free
Old 03-28-2009, 03:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mistamista
cristcdl.com i used this site to study for mine and it's free
Yeah Im using that one too, plus the manual. I thought general was alot of **** to read, haz is half the damn book. Mista, what do u haul?
Old 03-28-2009, 08:47 AM
12 Second Club

its not hard. alot of it is common sence stuff. I work in the oilfield and haul acid and whatever a wellbore needs. and of course N2. but you do have to make a 100.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Launching!

I'm goona get my Hazmat end too one day this week. Got laid off Monday after a Florida trip so I'm going to buy a brand new 386 Pete or Prostar (International) and lease it to Landstar. I heard it's not all that hard to get hm.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mariojmoe
I'm goona get my Hazmat end too one day this week. Got laid off Monday after a Florida trip so I'm going to buy a brand new 386 Pete or Prostar (International) and lease it to Landstar. I heard it's not all that hard to get hm.
Just bought a new 388 pete wed. financing a new truck these days is very easy compared to 3 yrs ago.....
Old 03-28-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

Been hauling Hazourdous Materials since 1991.
Just skim through the section for about 2 hours, being sure to remember the distances, and you'll be fine.
Not required to make a 100, I think it's like 75~80.
Since your in Texas here is the site:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/CDLhandbook.pdf
Section 9

Good Luck!!

Originally Posted by avengedws6
im looking to get mine, any tips would help alot.

Last edited by 00 Z-28; 03-28-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MY06TBSS
Just bought a new 388 pete wed. financing a new truck these days is very easy compared to 3 yrs ago.....
Sweet, Yeah I looked at the 79 and Lonestar's but I'm not too much into the long noses (I'm not too old school yet). Post a pic of yours, I got approved for the new International (owener op speced) and yeah it's not as hard as I thought it would be. What do you haul? any chance I can lease on lol?
Old 03-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Sweet, Yeah I looked at the 79 and Lonestar's but I'm not too much into the long noses (I'm not too old school yet). Post a pic of yours, I got approved for the new International (owener op speced) and yeah it's not as hard as I thought it would be. What do you haul? any chance I can lease on lol?
HEAVY EQUIPMENT ,Also got a 2008 talbert detach neck lowboy. Just staying local right now and trying to keep my 4 busy at the time so sorry no leasing as of yet...
Old 03-28-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

whats the avg someone with a hazmat endorsment makes a week ?????
Old 03-28-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SRfastZ
depend on what u haul, im hauling water right now and im sick of the 3 ring bs here at work.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SRfastZ
honestly, not more than anyone else, it's just a better quality of work. I've been driving for over 11 years now, the last 5 of which i've been pulling chemical tankers. Last year, I made about $60k, which no matter what anybody tells you is about what you're going to make. The difference is, whereas the regular freight haulers (the guys that pull box trailers) generally tend to stay out 3 weeks and then are home for 3 days (which sucks major ***), I work Monday thru Friday, off every weekend, and I'm generally home 2-3 nights per week. It's generally really easy work as long as you're careful, we did have a guy that got splashed in the eyes with caustic potash, and he's now blind, but that's a RARE occurance and he just should have been wearing his safety gear.

I'm not saying pulling chemicals is a better choice over pulling anything else, because any work that you do in trucking is just going to depend on what you want out of it for whether it's for you or not. You just need to find something you like and roll with it
Old 03-29-2009, 12:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not hard, just study and take the test. The background check can take a few months though.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
honestly, not more than anyone else, it's just a better quality of work. I've been driving for over 11 years now, the last 5 of which i've been pulling chemical tankers. Last year, I made about $60k, which no matter what anybody tells you is about what you're going to make. The difference is, whereas the regular freight haulers (the guys that pull box trailers) generally tend to stay out 3 weeks and then are home for 3 days (which sucks major ***), I work Monday thru Friday, off every weekend, and I'm generally home 2-3 nights per week. It's generally really easy work as long as you're careful, we did have a guy that got splashed in the eyes with caustic potash, and he's now blind, but that's a RARE occurance and he just should have been wearing his safety gear.

I'm not saying pulling chemicals is a better choice over pulling anything else, because any work that you do in trucking is just going to depend on what you want out of it for whether it's for you or not. You just need to find something you like and roll with it

+1 Rooster, I made a tad under 60K last year staying out a week to 10 days out at a time. No touch freight and no North East. Haz mat has it's own pluses in itself (higher job security) for one but on the other hand if you are pulling an hm load you must stop at every chicken house regardless of prepass. Only reason I'll be getting it this week is b/c Lanstar requires it proir to leasing on.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Launching!

+1 Rooster, I made a tad under 60K last year staying out a week to 10 days out at a time. No touch freight and no North East. Haz mat has it's own pluses in itself (higher job security) for one but on the other hand if you are pulling an hm load you must stop at every chicken house regardless of prepass. Only reason I'll be getting it this week is b/c Lanstar requires it proir to leasing on.
i've never heard of that, but we don't even have prepass, haha. we did slow down a little bit the last 2 or 3 weeks, but other than that it's been business as usual. good luck with that Landstar deal
Old 03-31-2009, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00 Z-28
Been hauling Hazourdous Materials since 1991.
Just skim through the section for about 2 hours, being sure to remember the distances, and you'll be fine.
Not required to make a 100, I think it's like 75~80.
Since your in Texas here is the site:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/CDLhandbook.pdf
Section 9

Good Luck!!
The last time I took it, you had to score 80% or better. I let mine expire but I kept my CDL. I haven't even been in a big truck in 6 years. Kinda miss it..... somedays....