Suggestions & HELP needed in nailing a scammer using the MILITARY as his cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

99.99999999% of the time,if it seems to good to be true,it is a scam. Think about it ,a 2005 Tahoe for $5000? it won't happen. If someone needs to get out from their vehicle they can take it to Carmax for at minimum trade value. In this case an 05 Tahoe trade value is much ,much higher than $5K. Sorry, for those who get caught up in this but people must be pro-active and do their homework before sending money out,especially if it is a killer deal.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

these are all scammers that are everywhere. They don't live in the US and they are not citizens. Not much anyone can or will do about it. First rule on the net is don't send any information to ANYONE over the web/email/phone.

I feel for all of those who have been ripped by this. I have been scammed too long time ago for a few hundred bucks. Now adays though if there is any mention of western union or will pay you x, and you give us Y back it's all a scam.

Do a google search and you will be amazed how many hits you get on internet scamming or cars. Also why eBay puts up there about not dealing with anyone with western Union or anything.

Best of luck to everyone, and if someone figured out how to nail them, I'd love to hear about it.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:30 AM

Default THE SAME SCAM CONTINUES EVEN TODAY. Check this out . .

BEWARE ppl. There are scammers impersonating military and its not so cool. I am so thankful i kinda googled part of the email and found this. Ofc its just too good to be true. Anyways here's the email.
------------

Hi
I am selling this 2003 Toyota Camry LE because my platoon has been sent back to Iraq and don't want it get old in my backyard. The price is low because I need to sell it before september 4th. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident.I do have the title, clear, under my name. The car has 37,622 miles original miles VIN# 4T1BE32K33U224155.
It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $2,900. The car is in Springfield, IL, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email me back.

Body type: Sedan
ENGINE: 4 Cylinder 2.4 Liter
Transmission: Automatic
Fuel type: Gasoline
Vehicle title: Clear
Exterior color: Gold
Interior color: Tan

Thank you

Staff Sgt. Angella Harris
139th Mobile Public Affairs Detachment
Springfield, Illinois Army National Guard

---------
Old 09-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Banned

Dude seriously? Did you really register on this site just to gravedig this thread?
Old 09-02-2010, 10:10 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Texas Heat
Dude seriously? Did you really register on this site just to gravedig this thread?
At least the thread still serves a purpose
Old 09-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HTX
At least the thread still serves a purpose
Yeah but this one is old news, like the nigerian lotto winners.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was dealing with the samething but probly a different guy. I was looking for my Z28 that I got and ended up coming across this really nice 02 silver Z. I emailed him back and forth and told him I would like to see and drive the car. Well then he tells me the car is in Augusta Ga. and was wrapped up ready to be shipped. I knew right then he was trying to **** me. So I decided to play along to see how far we could get and I told him that's even better cause my brother was in that area and he would come look at it for me. Then he carried on telling me that if the car was unsealed from packaging that I would have to pay an extra 2000 bucks. I told him that's fine sence the asking price was so low anyway it wouldn't hurt for me to be reassured on the condition of the car.

He was totally against it. While all this was goin on I was constantly asking for a phone number to we both could talk. When I recidved the last email from him let him know that I knew he was a piece of **** and he wasn't goin to be getting any money from me until I talked to him on the phone and I got to see the car.

That was the last time I talked to him. But if y'all see a really nice silver Z with cowl hood some nice wheels and on the DFW craigslist y'all should **** with him hard. All their emails will have the info of the car listed like it's a copy and paste job.

Hope y'all catch them before they get anymore free money from people.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Heat
R.I.P. Jimmy
Old 09-02-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
R.I.P. Jimmy
Ah damn, Jimmy got banned? He was one of the best posters in this section.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tripps
Ah damn, Jimmy got banned? He was one of the best posters in this section.
LOL, yeah. Go look at my locked thread. He will be missed...
Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Just went and checked it out....that wasn't too smart Jimmy LOL

Pourin out one for Jimmy

Old 09-20-2010, 04:15 PM

Hello all,

First time poster here. I found this thread after searching Google for part of an email I got from a guy who is claiming to be Sergent Robert Plate of the 427 Brigade Baatalion in Syracuse, NY.

He says he's selling a new 15" MacBook Pro on Craigslist for $850, which goes for $2200 new. You can read his email below, but you can tell by comparing this email to the earlier one it's the same guy. Just selling a different item under a different name. He's still using the 'soldier going to Iraq/Afghanistan' story though.

Cheers,
XD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 13:38:13 -0700
Subject: Re: NEW 15" Macbook Pro 2.66GHZ - Core i7 - $850
To: xd

Hello,
The MacBook Pro is brand new, I just removed the seal from the box to see what's inside, I am selling it because my platoon has been scheduled for deployment in Afghanistan and I need the money in the shortest possible time. The price is low because I need to sell it before Sept 25.
It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $850.00. The MacBook is in Syracuse, NY.
Let me know if you are interested, email me back.

A few specs:

CPU 2.66GHz Intel Core i7-620M
RAM 4GB (2x2GB)
HDD 500GB 5400RPM SATA
GRAPHICS Intel HD Graphics5 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with automatic graphics switching
SCREEN 15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution

Thank you

SSG Robert Plate

27th Infantry Brigade Combat Team
HHC 427 Brigade Support Battalion, Syracuse NY
Old 12-14-2010, 12:28 PM

Default Current Contact

Aw No. I had such hopes too. What do you suggest?
But I am currently negotiating with this email:

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 5:36 AM
To: Jeff Wells
Subject: Re: 3.06 GHz 17" MacBook Pro in perfect condition - $1200

Hi
I am selling this MacBook because my platoon has been sent back to Afghanistan and I need the money in the shortest possible time. The price is low because I need to sell it before Dec 20. It is in immaculate condition, barley used.
It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $1200.00. The MacBook is in Springfield, IL.
Let me know if you are interested, email me back.

Thank you

SSG Mike Petko
139th Mobile Public Affairs Detachment
Springfield, Illinois Army National Guard

I also got this reply:

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 11:25 AM
To: Jeff Wells
Subject: Re: 3.06 GHz 17" MacBook Pro in perfect condition - $1200

Hello again ,
I wanted to inform you that I have started the official transaction with Amazon checkout and they should contact you shorty with the payment invoice, you will find there the details needed to make the payment to them trough WesternUnion, this will speed up the transaction as I am in a lack of time.
You will receive important confidential informations so please read them carefully in order to complete the transaction successfully.
For security purposes you will have to make the payment to Amazon Checkout agency in United Kingdom and after you receive and accept the macbook they will send the money to me in Springfield.
Please e-mail me once you receive the Amazon Checkout invoice.
Thank you.

FRAUD CONFIRMED

Jeff:
This is a fraud. There is no such person in the IL National Guard by this name. This scheme has been taking place for about 1 ½ years and we have pushed this info to the FBI and local authorities who are supposed to be investigating. Thanks for checking.
Mike C****** (Name removed as a courtesy)
Public Affairs Office
Illinois Army National Guard
1301 N. MacArthur Blvd.
Springfield, IL 62702-2399

Aw. Shoot! Shoot! My son really needs that laptop. Argghhh!!!!

Last edited by JGWells; 12-14-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 06-01-2011, 08:14 AM

Default scammers

Hi everyone i am in the army my self station at ft hood texas and i am a 11b so i take pride in what i do and in the army. And i was looking through craigslist and found a truck i couldn believe. a man named anthony sanders was trying to sell it but it started smelling fishy to me to so i have decided not to do it. the emails i recieved were almost identical to the ones you recieved but this person never included a rank or address and claimed to be deploying to Afghanistan for 14 months and due to him haveing some kind of clearence he is not aloud to leave or talk on the phone much i have not found anything about him yet but im going to give the name to my s2 in the morning and see if they can find out. I may just be a simple country boy but i no when something is not right so if you know of anyone trying to buy a 2003 toyota tacoma for 2900 dont let them it more than likely is a scam i will repost if i find anymore info on him im sorry for the ones who were scammed but they will all get whats coming to them in the end...
Old 06-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Go Red Sox!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Suggestions & HELP needed in nailing a scammer using the MILITARY as his cover