Suggestions & HELP needed in nailing a scammer using the MILITARY as his cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions & HELP needed in nailing a scammer using the MILITARY as his cover

Ok so I wanna nail a scammer just for the hell of it and because they are pretending to be a Staff Sgt. from the 27th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, and that really pisses me off. Especially since I have friends that are in the military, and these scum bags are using a prestigious title and honor to carry out there fucken scams.

So what basically happened was that my family is looking to buy a used Tahoe and they were searching in the Dallas craigslist when they came across a good deal, so they asked me to contact the seller to arrange a meeting and test drive and this is what I told him:

MY EMAIL TO HIM on Saturday

Hello my name is Frank xxxxx and I was inquiring about the 2005 Tahoe, I would like to take a look at the SUV if it's ok with you tomorrow in the afternoon. Can you please give me an address where we could meet and test drive the Tahoe. My contact number is 832-xxx-xxxx.

Thank you,

Frank xxxxx
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
HIS RESPONCE:
On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Staff.Sgt Ann Mitchell <mitchell.ann43@XXXX.com> wrote:

Hi Frank,
I am selling this car because my platoon has been sent back to Iraq and don't want it get old in my backyard. The price is low because I need to sell it before April 14th. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident...I do have the title, clear, under my name. The car has 44,842 original miles VIN# 1GNEK13T15R185276.
It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $4,900. The car is in Syracuse , NY , in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back.

Body type: SUV
ENGINE: VORTEC 5300 V8 SFI
Transmission: Automatic
Fuel type: Gasoline
Exterior color: Black
Interior color: Tan
Vehicle title: Clear
City 15 MPG /Highway 19 MPG

You can find more pics at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lblindab...vroletTahoeZ71

Thank you

--
Staff Sgt. Ann Mitchell
27th Infantry Brigade Combat Team
HHC 427 Brigade Support Battalion, Syracuse NY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK well it sounds too damn good to be true, so I started to smell something fishy, so decide to do the necessary research starting with the vin number and sure enough as soon as I google the vin number I come across this website that confirmed my suspicions. Which was awesome because I was kinda just double checking the validity of the vin number and too possibly do carfax report on it. http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...d.php?p=275643

Well now I wanna respond just to get some info from him like a bank account number and some more info to nail his *** and report him to The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3), but I need some creative input or some more info to carry out the *** pwning of this scum bag. So fellow scam pwners of ls1tech texas section, any ideas on what I should respond and how I can come about better deleivering this d-bag to IC3.

Last edited by redsox_ws6; 04-05-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Launching!

I don't see any bad grammar, and apparantly "his" name is Ann
Old 04-07-2009, 04:07 PM

Angry times two

I got the exact same email for the Tahoe from "Ann Mitchell". What a loser!! I even explained to them that I had a terminally ill child that I needed the vehicle for and they still went on with the scam. I will also be filing a complaint with IC3. It is sad that they pray on those who truely need a break and don't care.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

the only ann mitchell I can find on AKO is TSGT Ann Mitchell USAF out of SD. I doubt this is your guy and I doubt the guy you're talking to is actually in the army...but I think you already knew that
Old 05-22-2009, 02:53 PM

Default The Ann Mitchell Scam

Thanks for the info. I started looking into this when it didn't pass my smell test. "If it looks to good to be true then it is". Here's what they wrote:

I am selling this car because my platoon has been sent back to Iraq and don't want it get old in my backyard. The price is low because I need to sell it before May 27th. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident...I do have the title, clear, under my name. The car has 23,842 original miles VIN# 1GNEK13T15R185276.
It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $4,500. The car is in Syracuse, NY, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back.

ENGINE: VORTEC 5300 V8 SFI
Interior color: Tan
City 15 MPG /Highway 19 MPG

http://picasaweb.google.com/ann.mitc...ChevroletTahoe
Thank you

Staff Sgt. Ann Mitchell
27th Infantry Brigade Combat Team
HHC 427 Brigade Support Battalion, Syracuse NY
Old 09-22-2009, 08:46 AM

Default found him

Hello,
So I saw your post and I have been searching. and I have found this one after explaining that I need a car.

Hi
I am selling this car because my platoon has been sent back to Iraq and don't want it get old in my backyard.. The price is low because I need to sell it before October 3rd. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident...I do have the title, clear, under my name. The car has 51,842 original miles VIN# 1N4BA41E85C852616.
It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $3,500. The car is in Springfield, Illinois, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ann.mitc...05NissanMaxima
Thank you

---------
Staff Sgt. Ann Mitchell
139th Mobile Public Affairs Detachment
Springfield, Illinois Army National Guard

--------------------------------------------------------
Then shortly after I found another person with the almost same address.

Hi
I am selling this car because my platoon has been sent back to Iraq and don't want it get old in my backyard. The price is low because I need to sell it before September 29th. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident...I do have the title, clear, under my name. The car has 53,525 original miles VIN# 1J8HR68216C120276.
It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $4,200. The car is in Springfield, IL, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back.

ENGINE: HEMI 5.7L
Interior color: Gray
City 17 MPG /Highway 21 MPG

http://picasaweb.google.com/25potter...pGrandCherokee
Thank you

Staff Sgt. Anthony Potter
----------------------------------------------------------

What he doesn't know is that I was from the army (forreal people) and I asked that a search be done on his name and currently there is only one ann. and one anthony potter but anthony isn't even in the country.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

i hope you catch these dirt bags. what would the military say about them impersonating a soldier?
Old 09-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Banned

Dude they will get hemmed up PROPER for impersonating non commisioned officers in the army, report there asses!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GTO JIMMY
Dude they will get hemmed up PROPER for impersonating non commisioned officers in the army, report there asses!
thats only if you are in the army, them MIGHT be able to get him for impersonating a government official though...
Old 09-22-2009, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

That sucks...these people deserve whats coming to them.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:22 AM

I've been getting the same emails about the Jeep from Sgt. Anthony Potter. Anyone know of a way I can get this guy caught?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.419eater.com/
Old 09-23-2009, 02:53 PM

Angry Scammer found!

Today I received a reply to my msg from an ad on craigslist.. from Staff Sgt. Anthony Potter 25potter@gmail.com, this was it..

Hi
I am selling this car because my platoon has been sent back to Iraq and don't want it get old in my backyard. The price is low because I need to sell it before September 29th. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident...I do have the title, clear, under my name. The car has 53,525 original miles VIN# 1J8HR68216C120276.
It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $4,200. The car is in Springfield, IL, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back.

ENGINE: HEMI 5.7L
Interior color: Gray
City 17 MPG /Highway 21 MPG

http://picasaweb.google.com/25potter...pGrandCherokee
Thank you

Staff Sgt. Anthony Potter

I haven't responded back to him.. I figured I would check out his name & the vin # first, which is when I came across this website! Has anyone figured out how to report it...? I also found the REAL vehicle on ebay! If you can believe that.. I notified the seller that someone was using there vehicle's Vin # for a scam!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask for a phone number to call and ask questions about the car. . . .let them know you're setting up airplane tickets to fly there and drive the car out personally. . . .
Old 10-31-2009, 03:43 PM

Default He is Still Scamming

Just an FYI, he is still scamming!!! He just scammed me in Atlanta, GA. I am a single mom, and he actually got me. We need to find a way to stop him. I cant believe he is using the military. I am just stunned. I am currently dating a guy a who is deployed and this flies all over me. Glad he didnt get you, just wish he hadnt have gotten me.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gagirl
Just an FYI, he is still scamming!!! He just scammed me in Atlanta, GA. I am a single mom, and he actually got me. We need to find a way to stop him. I cant believe he is using the military. I am just stunned. I am currently dating a guy a who is deployed and this flies all over me. Glad he didnt get you, just wish he hadnt have gotten me.
How did he "get" you? Did you wire him the money?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:48 AM

He got money out of me, and I got no car. I am a single mom who just lost my car and house to the floods that just happened here in Georgia. He told me he was using eBay and I was getting emails from eBay just like I normally do when my mom or myself buys things from them, so I thought it was real. Also, my fiance is in the Air Force (currently deployed so I am kinda doing this alone) and we never thought that some scum bag would impersonate the military to get someones money. He is currently checking into what we have to do to get the ball roll about someone using the military but not being in the military. He is kicking his self in the butt for not having me check the VIN number to make sure it was accurate, and for me not having a guy here to help me with this cause now I am out a couple of thousand dollars and now way for me and my daughter still.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear that, gagirl. Karma is real, and a BITCH. They will get theirs.

Hope you get back on your feet. I've been scammed myself, and I know how it feels. Not by that much, but like $150 I think it was. But still, money is money. And you probably worked very hard for it.

Anyways, these people are not from the US. They are from different countries who probably have people working for them here in the US.

I'm assuming they ask for a deposit or full amount of the car, and they make you wire transfer/send money order to their people working here. They then deposit the money into their accounts in other countries.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gagirl
He got money out of me, and I got no car. I am a single mom who just lost my car and house to the floods that just happened here in Georgia. He told me he was using eBay and I was getting emails from eBay just like I normally do when my mom or myself buys things from them, so I thought it was real. Also, my fiance is in the Air Force (currently deployed so I am kinda doing this alone) and we never thought that some scum bag would impersonate the military to get someones money. He is currently checking into what we have to do to get the ball roll about someone using the military but not being in the military. He is kicking his self in the butt for not having me check the VIN number to make sure it was accurate, and for me not having a guy here to help me with this cause now I am out a couple of thousand dollars and now way for me and my daughter still.

Did you mail him/her money? Did you paypal it? Did you wire it? Sometimes your bank can get your money back or you can even cancel cashiers checks, especially if both banks are willing to cooperate. You need to call your local FBI there in Georgia. I am sure they can help trace the trail. If you sent the money through the mail, post up the address...we could always flood them with fan mail!
Old 11-01-2009, 07:53 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

impersonating an NCO or CO is a felony. Doesnt matter if you are in the military or not.

Not to mention that Fraud is also a felony. Chances are though that this guy is not even American.

Quick Reply: Suggestions & HELP needed in nailing a scammer using the MILITARY as his cover