Brake light tail light help on the TA..help..please..

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Brake light tail light help on the TA..help..please..

I have a 99 trans am and I'm having issues with my brake lights. My third brake light works when I brake and my blinkers and running lights work but my big brake lights wont work. Ihave heard that there is some kind of relay under the dash next to the center console or something there.. I really have no clue why they wont work , and i got a ticket yesterday because of it so help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 04-12-2009, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Poss the signal light switch, or a broken wire to or from the brake light switch. Brake light switch is ok if the hm is working. The wiring goes from the brake light switch to the signal light switch on a light blue wire that turns white at the signal light switch connector. Use a test light to probe it at this point at the bottom of the steering column.It should light up when you press the brake pedal. If it does then the signal light switch is faulty. If not then you have a broken wire from the brake light switch to the signal light switch. The brake light wiring coming out of the switch should be ok because the signal lights and flashers are working ok.

Last edited by spaz1; 04-12-2009 at 04:00 PM. Reason: finally got it right.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

I have found a corroded connector on the column itself that cause my brake lights not to work.. I had the same issue you did.. I think the connector was white.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Teching In

i have this same problem
Old 04-14-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It could be a faulty brakelight switch, its located under the brake pedal and activates your brake lights when you press your brakes. The switch might have got stuck.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
It could be a faulty brakelight switch, its located under the brake pedal and activates your brake lights when you press your brakes. The switch might have got stuck.
It isn't the brake light switch because the center brake light is working. It is the same feed wire that comes out of the brake light switch. I splits and goes into the signal light switch. Which i think is where the problem is either the wire to the signal light switch or the switch itself.