The new 2010 Camaro is here at Lone Star Chevrolet in Houston!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy_S
Ok, I have now contacted 2 local dealerships here in South Houston and figured that I could share their responses with everyone.

Announced markup
Ron Carter: $5,000 after MSRP
Strickland: $2,500 after MSRP

If you know other spots, post up what they have said.
add monument chevrolet to that markup list. they called me again yesterday and told me they were asking 5-10k over sticker!
Old 04-23-2009, 08:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Does a dealer get all the money they mark up? If so, I think the automakers need to intervene with that **** right now. Other products such as aftermarket performance mods for cars have strict MAP pricing. In this time of economic crisis, the automakers need to move cars. The average Joe isn't even going to bother to go look at a vehicle if it is marked up 20+% over MSRP by some d-bag dealer.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Texas Director

Anyone that pays $5-$10K over sticker for a new Camaro is nuts. Some sucker will do it though. The unfortunate thing is that you'll never recoup that money whenever you go to sell or trade the car in and this will contribute big-time to getting you upside down.

If dealers aren't wanting to be reasonable on the price the best thing to do is let them cool off for six months or so and buy one then. This is always the pattern when an anticipated new vehicle or model comes out.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Regular

Just remember, a product is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

If you don't want to pay $10k over sticker, wait and find one for MSRP. If someone is willing to pay $10k over sticker to have one of the first Camaros, then so be it.

I don't think it's "right" for dealers to put a premium on any vehicle. The price should be set by the manufacturer. However that's not the case, hasn't been for a long time. So if us consumers hold off on buying products that are "market adjusted" they will be forced to remove the charge..

My 2 cents...
Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

If people would go to camaro5.com and look at the MSRP or less dealers sticky you would see that there are plenty that are selling the cars at MSRP.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stephen@Pavlock
Just remember, a product is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

If you don't want to pay $10k over sticker, wait and find one for MSRP. If someone is willing to pay $10k over sticker to have one of the first Camaros, then so be it.

I don't think it's "right" for dealers to put a premium on any vehicle. The price should be set by the manufacturer. However that's not the case, hasn't been for a long time. So if us consumers hold off on buying products that are "market adjusted" they will be forced to remove the charge..

My 2 cents...
Once they are forced to remove the charge though, (Oopsie, 5K is too much, ~tee hee~ better price the car for what's it supposed to be sold at for all the other poor suckers.) the damage is already done. People are not stupid and they don't like being taken for idiots.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:25 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Does a dealer get all the money they mark up? If so, I think the automakers need to intervene with that **** right now. Other products such as aftermarket performance mods for cars have strict MAP pricing. In this time of economic crisis, the automakers need to move cars. The average Joe isn't even going to bother to go look at a vehicle if it is marked up 20+% over MSRP by some d-bag dealer.
Of course the dealer marks up the price. How do you think thy get paid? Why the hell would they make a career out of a zero profit job?

And the average Jo DOES pay well over MSRP because thats what the dealers charge. They have no choice. Its that or wait for a sale.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:28 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=Stephen@Pavlock;11479912]

I don't think it's "right" for dealers to put a premium on any vehicle. The price should be set by the manufacturer. However that's not the case, hasn't been for a long time. So if us consumers hold off on buying products that are "market adjusted" they will be forced to remove the charge..[QUOTE]

If the price was set by GM then GM would have to pay the dealerships. Thus raising the cost of the vehicle anyways.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1vazquez
Once they are forced to remove the charge though, (Oopsie, 5K is too much, ~tee hee~ better price the car for what's it supposed to be sold at for all the other poor suckers.) the damage is already done. People are not stupid and they don't like being taken for idiots.
Bingo!

I'd bet for every 10 people genuinely interested in buying a vehicle at or below MSRP 3 or 4 will not even re-consider taking another look at said vehicle in the future when initially learning of such a high dealer markup.
The average car buyer will think, "Oh...they just want too much for those cars" and will move on.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HTX
Of course the dealer marks up the price. How do you think thy get paid? Why the hell would they make a career out of a zero profit job?

And the average Jo DOES pay well over MSRP because thats what the dealers charge. They have no choice. Its that or wait for a sale.
What are you talking about?

That's why I paid about $9k under MSRP driveout for my previous truck?

Dealer pays around invoice not MSRP. They can sell at or below MSRP all day long and make a good profit.

I personally think even people who pay MSRP are getting hosed.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Teching In

When the G8 GT first came out all dealers wanted some markup.....maybe 1-2k over MSRP.

Then, a couple months later, it was MSRP (~34k).

I waited about 14 mos and paid 25k for a 2009 $34,220 MSRP car. I do have some special deals and discounts, but anyone could have gotten one for ~27-27.5k.

==========================================

MSRP is not a zero-profit initiative for a dealer. That's a lot of profit, actually.

Ross is correct that these dealer markups should stop -- at least soon after the idiots buy up the first crop (no offense to any of you who are going to do it).

Otherwise, you'll have people wait a year to buy one, and I think that's an idiotic strategy in this economy / with GM bankruptcy looming.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HTX

BULLSHIT..There is dealer hold back and plenty of margin built-in to the MSRP price. Dealers marking them up are bound to sell a few to folks that gotta have one right now. However, they will miss out on volume business the dealers not marking them up will get.

Last edited by 03Sssnake; 04-23-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:49 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Onyx Z
the GVW on the one car i checked said 4500 lbs.
Go look up the definition of GVW before posting.

back on the general topic:

Just attended the Austin Auto Show last weekend. The Austin F-body car club managed to wrangel a private showing. The show started for the general public at 10:00 but we got in at 7:30. Scott Settlemire and John (forgot his last name already, but he's the marketing manager) were there with us to answer questions. We got to climb in/over/under an SS and 2 V6's.

The SS comes in at just over 3900 lbs and the V6's are high 3700 to just over 3800 depending on content.

The SS base MSRP plus delivery is just over $31K and a total base model V6 is just over $23K based on what one of the Chevy reps showed me in his binder he was carrying. The base model V6 (LT? if I remember) comes with steel wheels and trim rings - what a throw back - but it is a cheap price in today's market.

The atrocious weight of the cars turns me off. I don't know if I will be getting one.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:54 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by -Ross-
What are you talking about?

That's why I paid about $9k under MSRP driveout for my previous truck?

Dealer pays around invoice not MSRP. They can sell at or below MSRP all day long and make a good profit.

I personally think even people who pay MSRP are getting hosed.
There is very little money in new car sales. the big bucks are in used cars. and service departments. That is why most car companies now are making warranties so strict about certified shops working on vehicles. (GM is not on that boat yet but the foriegn companies as well as Ford are doing this)
Old 04-23-2009, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Randy_S
Ok, I have now contacted 2 local dealerships here in South Houston and figured that I could share their responses with everyone.

Announced markup
Ron Carter: $5,000
Strickland: $2,500
Monument: $5-10k
If you know other spots, post up what they have said.
The email I got from ron carter puts it at 10,000 over MSRP....
Freaking nutz... if you ask me...
Old 04-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Dealers not only pay invoice, they get a holdback grant of about 3% of msrp.

In the case of my G8 GT, dealers also got "certificates" -- $250 grants from GM for every G8 GT they took in to their lot. My deal used 8 of them on my 1car.

GM is doing this right now to entice the dealers to take cars. However, I personally think GM's new plan is backfiring, as deals on most new cars right now are fairly shitty. They roll the $1000 cert on a high margin Escalade in secrecy to the dealer instead of letting the consumer know with a bigger rebate.

Then, they roll out this "payment protection for 1 year" mumbo jumbo. I'm sorry, but "I'm a grown *** man", and would rather you give me the value of that insurance in a freaking rebate. I can handle my own business if the **** hits the fan.

Long story short, I'm not really seeing the usual 25-30% off MSRP on GMs right now, and it's a bad time to buy anything IMO. On non-special releases (unlike the Camaro), GM should follow Chrysler's lead and offer employee pricing, 0% financing, PLUS smallish (~2k) rebates.

That plan would at LEAST help a bit and lend itself toward the Camaro going at MSRP.

On a side note, the CTS-V can currently be had for $500 over invoice if you want to spend 60k on a loaded version.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HTX
There is very little money in new car sales. the big bucks are in used cars. and service departments.
Yeah. That's pretty much common knowledge and further goes to prove dealers can afford to sell cars well under MSRP.

My whole argument with the markups is it's turning potential car buyers off. GM needs to be doing (even if they have to enforce set pricing upon dealers) the exact opposite.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Texas Director

When I go to buy a new car I always do my own research as to what invoice is. Then I go into a dealer that is not wanting to play games and work from invoice. A new model is one thing, but for a model that's been around for six months or longer there is no reason why you can't buy it for $200 over invoice or less. The dealers are making plenty of money even at invoice based on the hold back money, and I know this. Anyone that pays MSRP for a vehicle is being taken advantage of.

My whole family combined, I would estimate over the last 40 years, has bought well over 150 new vehicles. You've got to be smart and know the lowdown on how dealers work and what they pay as their cost. I go in an tell them what I'm going to pay them for a vehicle. Not the other way around. If they don't meet my offer then I'll walk out and find someone who will. Funny how they'll just about tackle you when you're walking out the door and "suddenly" get more flexible.

A couple of other tips that I use. One, don't ever pay for paint protection packages, theft packages, prep charges, or any BS extra charge they try to add on. Those are nothing more than a smoke screen to add unessesary charges on the deal. Two, don't deal with the average sales guy. Either deal with the sales manager or the fleet manager. That way you're dealing with the bottom line decision maker and not some goober running back and forth to a manager wasting your time.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Launching!

maybe soon i will get one
Old 04-23-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are the invoice prices for the EARLY2010 Camaros. Now if you didnt preorder you will have a different price as there is a price increase for the late year model cars.

This is the price increase:

The price for IOM is now a PREMIUM Paint option, along with Red Jewel Metallic ($30 increase, $325 Total)

Factory Stripe packages B7W and B7X up $75 to $470 total

Destination charge up $45 to $795 total

So on each car the dealer is selling at MSRP for a 2SS they are making $2k. Not to mention if you had a trade in the money they make on that.
Attached Thumbnails The new 2010 Camaro is here at Lone Star Chevrolet in Houston!-2010_camaro_prices1.jpg   The new 2010 Camaro is here at Lone Star Chevrolet in Houston!-2010_camaro_prices2.jpg  

Quick Reply: The new 2010 Camaro is here at Lone Star Chevrolet in Houston!