TX law clarification

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009 | 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

SO you refuse to put the plate on the front of your car because it looks bad, yet you are content to drive around with it on your dash?

That makes no sense ...
Old 06-15-2009 | 01:44 PM
11Second Club

I've never had a front plate on my car. This resulted in one warning because some cops were pulling over every single person driving out of a parking lot that if they had something wrong with their stickers, plates, etc. No big deal.

I also received a ticket for it. However, I was tearing *** down a street and deserved to be pulled over. The officer was extremely cool and gave me the front plate ticket instead of the other tickets I rightfully deserved.

Not only that, I got that ticket dismissed. I put the front plate on, drove to the court house, and they dismissed it for me. Of course, I had to stop and take it off on the way home because the car was overheating!
Old 06-15-2009 | 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Obey the law if not the letter of it. Says front and back of the car. I have a front bumper and a front windshield so Im within what the law states. Dont mean to be a smartass about it but if a cop pulls me over, tells me what I did wrong Im going to look it up if I know nothing about it. If I want clarification of what the law states I will ask my lawyer. I have had a friend get pulled over for not using her blinker to turn in the first 100 yards. Last I looked it was 100 feet and she got a ticket for it. Not to count the number of times I have been pulled over and had to correct the officer. Wasnt being a bad *** to them, I was just stating what is written. Took a lot of defensive driving for all of the tickets I got for speeding so I learned what the law stated pretty well.

Last edited by Jwright41; 06-15-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-15-2009 | 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gun4hire
Anyone have a link to the the new "law" going into effect in Sept?
No law has passed.

They have been introduced and seem to be going nowhere. (post #29)

SB-561
Old 06-15-2009 | 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jwright41
Obey the law if not the letter of it. Says front and back of the car.
exactly.

anything outside of that and you're unnecessarily opening up a door for the cop to step in.
Old 06-15-2009 | 03:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
I would be to nervous to have it in the window, you slam the brakes and that thing will come flying at you and cut your head off...lol
lol....if it's in your windshield and you slam on your brakes, wouldn't your forward momentum carry it.......forward?

it's really kinda a catch 22. i keep mine on the passenger side so it's out of my way so i can see, but of course the oncoming cops can't see it way over there. still haven't had any problems though
Old 06-15-2009 | 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
lol....if it's in your windshield and you slam on your brakes, wouldn't your forward momentum carry it.......forward?
newtons 1st law
but if your going in reverse at 50mph and hit a pole then who knows
Old 06-15-2009 | 05:30 PM
Teching In

mine is on my airdam also.. Havn't had any problems.. I was actually pulled over Because i had a headlight out and the cop told me that it was a good idea putting my plate down their.. Ha said he couldnt stand the look of a front plate on a nice car.. I dont care if its law or not.. I dont like the look of it so its not going on.. Just me though..
Old 06-15-2009 | 05:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Silver35thZ
so, do we need front license plates?

i've seen both sides of the argument and both quote references saying no its no longer a law and others saying that its still in place and you'll get ticketed.

so whats the final? because i'd really like to get a new grille and ditch the front plate
Got a ticket a few weeks ago for no front plate..
Old 06-15-2009 | 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mitchntx
SO you refuse to put the plate on the front of your car because it looks bad, yet you are content to drive around with it on your dash?

That makes no sense ...
This is why I never stuck mine in the dash, looks just as bad IMO. I also don't see how you guys can drive around with it on your air dam. I bottom out on that thing all the time, would hate to have a metal plate on it scrapping the ground.

I did get pulled over for this last week though, first time to be pulled over for it in at least 4 years.
Old 06-15-2009 | 07:38 PM
Launching!

yeah, i couldn't roll with it on my air dam

my car's lowered, so i'm sure that would last all of about 3 days with me driving...
Old 06-16-2009 | 05:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mines about a low as anyone and I only occasionally scrape it. I have it on the airdam. Its no big deal.

I had a state trooper question me about it...but he gave me a ticket for no insurance card instead.

That sucks that the bill was introduced but it isnt going anywhere. This comes up every couple years, and it always gets dropped. I wonder why?
Old 06-16-2009 | 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

here's more info direct from tx DPS. note the bold text for the people debating the windshield placement.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/faq_item.htm
State law requires that you display two (2) license plates, one to the front and one to the rear. Placement or mounting of license plates is not defined.

*This guidance is referenced in TXDOT's requirements to properly display the registration certificate. DPS does not inspect the license plate itself, but instead inspects the license plate lamp.

View Transportation Code
View Sec. 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR REGISTRATION INSIGNIA
View Department Rules/Regulation Inspection criteria
View 04.20.00 Details of Inspection & Search for 20.18 License Plate Lamp
Old 06-16-2009 | 02:57 PM
On The Tree

and for anyone that thinks placing it in the windshield is "front of the vehicle" you deserve to get pulled over.
Old 06-16-2009 | 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Since I put mine on my windshield I have not been pulled over. And it falls under the term listed "front of the vehicle" seeing how it is my FRONT windshield. Lawmakers want us to be politically correct so that is all Im doing
Old 06-16-2009 | 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jwright41
Since I put mine on my windshield I have not been pulled over. And it falls under the term listed "front of the vehicle" seeing how it is my FRONT windshield. Lawmakers want us to be politically correct so that is all Im doing
if that was the case people would have started doing that to the rear of the vehicles also

putting the rear license plates in the REAR window because it falls under the terms "rear of the vehicle".

see how stupid that sounds !?!?
Old 06-16-2009 | 03:19 PM
On The Tree

seems like people are out to test cops and test the law.

90% of the time you're gonna lose, simple as that. cops don't **** arund, and poor you if you catch one on the wrong day.
Old 06-16-2009 | 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

My first Sensi, who was in law enforcement, taught me to question authority for half the time people dont know what they are talking about. And I have tested the cops. Funny thing is 95% of the time I have come out on top for I know more and wasnt a dick to the cop when I was talking with him. Had a few that were pissed off when they pulled me over. They have cameras in their cars and wont be hard to nail them to a wall if they get out of line. Granted I have nothing but respect for them - married a probation officer - so I know how things go.
Old 06-16-2009 | 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by imlooking
if that was the case people would have started doing that to the rear of the vehicles also

putting the rear license plates in the REAR window because it falls under the terms "rear of the vehicle".

see how stupid that sounds !?!?

Funny that I see pickups that put them in their back windows and no cop pulls them over.

Doesnt sound stupid at all now does it.
Old 06-16-2009 | 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, not sure where I read it - but part of the law states that your license plate cannot have any "covering" (ie. plate covers, clear or tinted)... and to some that might include the windshield.

Also, I wouldnt want to be in a car wreck with a metal license plate banging around inside the cabin jabbing itself into my fleshy parts. When you go to defensive driving they even warn about tissue boxes on the rear package shelf and sun visors in the partially down position.