TX law clarification

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TX law clarification

so, do we need front license plates?

i've seen both sides of the argument and both quote references saying no its no longer a law and others saying that its still in place and you'll get ticketed.

so whats the final? because i'd really like to get a new grille and ditch the front plate
Old 04-27-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im pretty sure that new law goes into effect sometime in september, so yes we are still supposed to have them.

On a side note though, I've had my car for 2 years w/ no plate and I've never been pulled over for it.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:53 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Texas law states that you are required two tags. One in visibility from the rear of the vehicle. And one in front. If your vehicle does not have a "mount" for one in the front. Placing the license plate in view in the windshield is sufficient. So, remove your stock plastic grill and upgrade. Toss the plate on your dash near your registration and inspection sticker. I know tons who have it this way.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stoverz28
Im pretty sure that new law goes into effect sometime in september, so yes we are still supposed to have them.

On a side note though, I've had my car for 2 years w/ no plate and I've never been pulled over for it.
So they are gonna change the law in September to where you do not have to have a front plate or what?? I don't have one and never have.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Launching!

i know lots of people that don't have them and don't get pulled over but it depends on where you live because our local cars get cited all the time for no front plates so they have them in the dash..but i personally think that looks tacky and would rather keep it mounted where its at until i find a better way.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Man no joke I saw your car today in lot 50 and thought damn that thing is sexy just needs a new grill and lose that ugly *** plate!!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Placing the license plate in view in the windshield is sufficient. So, remove your stock plastic grill and upgrade. Toss the plate on your dash near your registration and inspection sticker.[/QUOTE]

I just got pulled over last week for not having one in my front bumper. No ticket was given because he said he was giving me a warning. As he was explaining to me that it was illegal not to have it in the front.... a lady was passing by and the officer flagged her down. He said and I quote" You see this lady.... I am about to give her a warning for having the plate inside the windshield, that's illegal to". end quote... So I don't know if he was bored or if it's true.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

gotta have a front plate, it's how they are able to radar your vehicle. i use to not have one, got pulled over for it. put it behind my billet grille, got pulled over again and another ticket, so i put it on the outside. really lame IMO.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Teching In

I heard in September its not going to be required to have a front plate. I got pulled over a few weeks ago. I had my front plate in the window, but he said he couldnt see it cuz of my hood. He let me go anyways. Usually they are pretty cool about it.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't had a front plate on the car since I got it from a previous member, but I live so close to Arkansas I guess they don't really care or pay attention. No problems for me so far.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive been pulled over 3 times for not having one got ticketed once for it.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes it is a law you MUST have it on the most furthest point on both front a rear, in plain view with not obstruction... now if you dont have it on the front most cops wont stop your for it and actually ticket you, but if you dont have it, it is just another reasno they can stop you... they will give you a ticket for it if their a total deaush or they are writing another ticket and want to give you another one < that falls under the deaush category
Old 04-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Launching!

lol thanks for all the info guys! guess it is just luck of the draw of where in texas you are from because some places are cool with no plates and others aren't. my sisters 98 z didn't come with the front plate nor mounting brackets. she didn't get pulled over til 8yrs later in arlington for that. i like how most high end cars have no front license plates nor the brackets in the bumper for them because of styling issues and i don't seem to see them get issues for that...

and how can the front plate be for radaring us? other states don't have this law and they seem to be able to pull people over for speeding just fine

Originally Posted by 1bdBULLITT
Man no joke I saw your car today in lot 50 and thought damn that thing is sexy just needs a new grill and lose that ugly *** plate!!
thanks man
Old 04-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

I have been pulled over several times in my truck for not having it. Now its mounted upside down and bent all to hell.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ONEBAD383STROKER
I have been pulled over several times in my truck for not having it. Now its mounted upside down and bent all to hell.
ROFL!

Its required to be mounted on the front, but no reference to the furthest point forward. Mounted on your airdam is usually sufficient (that's where mine is). It is not allowed to be "covered" so no radar diffusing covers and no storing it behind the windshield.

On a related note, recently TX put into law that the rear plate can't be "covered" in such a way as to make it difficult to see what state the plate is from. If you've got a plate frame that covers up the word "TEXAS" at the top, you can get a ticket for it.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
yes it is a law you MUST have it on the most furthest point on both front a rear, in plain view with not obstruction... now if you dont have it on the front most cops wont stop your for it and actually ticket you, but if you dont have it, it is just another reasno they can stop you... they will give you a ticket for it if their a total deaush or they are writing another ticket and want to give you another one < that falls under the deaush category
THIS is correct, also are able to radar your vehicle with/without a front plate radar will see the medal engine behind the platic grill, one ticket in 12 years for no front plate , stoped several times for no plate
Johnny
Old 04-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

This topic again? This should be a sticky.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 04-28-2009, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

the misinformation in this thread is absolutely hilarious.

simple: have both plates on. if you don't, you're just giving the officer probable cause to pull you over. for some of you a simple stop for "no front lp" will lead to a warrant arrest or even a DWI. just keep the damn plate on.

here's why. first of all, it's the law:

§ 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR
REGISTRATION INSIGNIA. (a) A person commits an offense if the
person operates on a public highway during a registration period a
passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two
license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have
been:
(1) assigned by the department for the period; or
(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the
department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the
period.

simple right !?!? "well, lets just take it off the front where it's supposed to be and place it in the window."

WRONG !!!!!! here's why:

Sec. 547.613. RESTRICTIONS ON WINDOWS. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense that is a misdemeanor:

(1) if the person operates a motor vehicle that has an object or material that is placed on or attached to the windshield or side or rear window and that obstructs or reduces the operator's clear view; or

thanks for your time.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by imlooking
the misinformation in this thread is absolutely hilarious.

simple: have both plates on. if you don't, you're just giving the officer probable cause to pull you over. for some of you a simple stop for "no front lp" will lead to a warrant arrest or even a DWI. just keep the damn plate on.

here's why. first of all, it's the law:

§ 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR
REGISTRATION INSIGNIA. (a) A person commits an offense if the
person operates on a public highway during a registration period a
passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two
license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have
been:
(1) assigned by the department for the period; or
(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the
department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the
period.

simple right !?!? "well, lets just take it off the front where it's supposed to be and place it in the window."

WRONG !!!!!! here's why:

Sec. 547.613. RESTRICTIONS ON WINDOWS. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense that is a misdemeanor:

(1) if the person operates a motor vehicle that has an object or material that is placed on or attached to the windshield or side or rear window and that obstructs or reduces the operator's clear view; or

thanks for your time.

So its ok to drive drunk if you have a front LP