TX law clarification

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

This is a cheap ticket and is a non-moving violation. Oh and Cops can pull you over and make **** up, anything they want.

If you are not doing anything wrong then it will not matter one bit and you will not have to worry about it.

Oh and by the way, when the hell do police chase people driving backwards?

I will ask the Police Officer that when I get pulled over, though in a respectful manner.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KL20
gotta have a front plate, it's how they are able to radar your vehicle. i use to not have one, got pulled over for it. put it behind my billet grille, got pulled over again and another ticket, so i put it on the outside. really lame IMO.
i call BS on that, because i have been radared without a front plate

and i have spoken to my brother in law (a PD officer) on this subject,a nd he says while it is technically a law, he does not know any other officer that enforces it, and all you have to do is take a picture with it ziptied to the fron of your car and present it to the judge if a cop feels like being a dick and giving you a ticket for it (and he says that they are not even allowed to give you a ticket in the first place if it is displayed on the dash, but some do it anyways)

this is coming from a police officer with several years experience on the force
Old 04-29-2009, 06:59 AM
On The Tree

so...................can we take our front plates off in september?
Old 04-29-2009, 07:38 AM
12 Second Club

I have it on the air dam under the car and never had any problems. Ive been pulled over and been asked about it, Ill point it out and the cops just let it fly. Its hard to see when your up close but easy to spot from about 10ft back.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by imlooking
the misinformation in this thread is absolutely hilarious.

simple: have both plates on. if you don't, you're just giving the officer probable cause to pull you over. for some of you a simple stop for "no front lp" will lead to a warrant arrest or even a DWI. just keep the damn plate on.

here's why. first of all, it's the law:

§ 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR
REGISTRATION INSIGNIA. (a) A person commits an offense if the
person operates on a public highway during a registration period a
passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two
license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have
been:
(1) assigned by the department for the period; or
(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the
department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the
period.

simple right !?!? "well, lets just take it off the front where it's supposed to be and place it in the window."

WRONG !!!!!! here's why:

Sec. 547.613. RESTRICTIONS ON WINDOWS. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense that is a misdemeanor:

(1) if the person operates a motor vehicle that has an object or material that is placed on or attached to the windshield or side or rear window and that obstructs or reduces the operator's clear view; or

thanks for your time.

well that's funny cause I see a ton of people driving around with their sat radio recievers and GPS mounted to their windshield .....

Also I got pulled over not to long ago and the cop actually told me that my GPS could not be in the center of the winshield... as long as it is in the corner is fine... Oh yeah did i mention my plate was in the window and he said nothing about it.....
Old 04-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Launching!

looks like this issue will never be resolved lol

some get pulled over and get ticketed, some get pulled over and let go, some don't get pulled over and have awesome grilles

...its a phenomena we will never understand...
Old 04-29-2009, 01:29 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

(1) if the person operates a motor vehicle that has an object or material that is placed on or attached to the windshield or side or rear window and that obstructs or reduces the operator's clear view; or

thanks for your time.
That is bull ****, then every bastard on this site that has a cowl hood deserves a ticket!!! I know it is not attached, but my wife cannot drive either of my cars, so as for the plate in the window, they cannot SAY **** really.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Not sure how well this works but has anybody tried this???

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2701
Old 04-29-2009, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1n00b
so...................can we take our front plates off in september?
Probably not. Neither bill has done anything in a while.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...81R&Bill=SB561
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...81R&Bill=HB309
Old 04-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Teching In

I have been pulled over for it but never got a ticket. It is required thought.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Been pulled over twice in the med center in Houston at lunch time in the last month for no front plate. Was in a friends car both times so I have put mine on my 02 Z since I am currently suspended.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:23 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How do the weather station's radar systems work when the storms don't have front plates?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 04-29-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think he meant the cops use your plate as a reference point so they zone in on the car they want. It’s my guess but I don't think anybody would assume that by removing your plate you could be in stealth mode, and fool the radar.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Teching In

i got a warning for no plate before and 2 weeks ago i got a speeding ticket (still with no plate) and the cop said nothing about it

but how much is a no front plate ticket it might be worth paying
Old 04-29-2009, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

^^^ correct, sorry for not being more lamen termed about it.

78novacaine

i call BS on that, because i have been radared without a front plate

and i have spoken to my brother in law (a PD officer) on this subject,a nd he says while it is technically a law, he does not know any other officer that enforces it, and all you have to do is take a picture with it ziptied to the fron of your car and present it to the judge if a cop feels like being a dick and giving you a ticket for it (and he says that they are not even allowed to give you a ticket in the first place if it is displayed on the dash, but some do it anyways)

this is coming from a police officer with several years experience on the force
well sorry but your inlaw must not leave his jurisdiction cause there are PLENTY of cops out to hassle that law. and yea you can ziptie it to the front grille, but it can't be behind it, or for that matter on the airdam. if they can't see the entire plate then it won't count.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

look, here's the deal. it's better that you just leave it on because it's clearly stated by the law . if not you're opening up doors to give the cop ANY probable cause to stop you.

IF THE PLATE IS NOT UP FRONT, the cop can legally stop you, simple as that. i've provided you guys with 2 laws that only an idiot WOULD NOT be able to interpret.

sure, some cops may not be that ****, but apparently the cop that encountered djcustoms in post #7 KNEW EXACTLY WHAT HE WAS DOING. he clearly knew both laws and he was going to enforce them.

who else is going to come in here and CLEARLY give you 2 laws that they know of without even thinking twice about it.

c'mon guys, trust me on this one
Old 04-30-2009, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

Also, didnt they pass a law for like windows being tinted or something like that? Something like they can be dark just the same all the way around.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by racer77ss
i got a warning for no plate before and 2 weeks ago i got a speeding ticket (still with no plate) and the cop said nothing about it

but how much is a no front plate ticket it might be worth paying

Again it is a non-moving violation and on avergae its about 45 bucks. It also will not go your insurance. Just like you could get a ticket if your headlight is out.

And anbody that has a friend in the force will tell you that a police officer can make anything up to pull you over.

So if you don't want a ticket put the plate on. If you do not give a ****, well leave it off.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Camaro Junky
Again it is a non-moving violation and on avergae its about 45 bucks. It also will not go your insurance. Just like you could get a ticket if your headlight is out.

And anbody that has a friend in the force will tell you that a police officer can make anything up to pull you over.

So if you don't want a ticket put the plate on. If you do not give a ****, well leave it off.
it's not so much that they "make it up", it's more like "there are SO MANY things that the average civilian has no clue what they can get pulled over for" because the cop spent countless hours in Traffic Code studying what he could pull people over for..

i bet most of the people had no clue about the Restriction of Window statute that i posted up.

anyways, the cops will pull you over for stupid ****, ie no front LP, no rear LP light, restriction of widows, failure to signal intent to turn, etc <--- 70% of cops WILL NOT give you tickets for that, but they sure as hell will have probable cause to pull yuo over.

most of the time a petty stop like that can lead to a big drug bust, a DWI, warrant arrest, DWLS and good stuff like that.

last word of advice: keep the effing plate on if you don't wanna get stopped
Old 05-02-2009, 04:08 AM
Launching!

it's not so much that they "make it up", it's more like "there are SO MANY things that the average civilian has no clue what they can get pulled over for" because the cop spent countless hours in Traffic Code studying what he could pull people over for..

i bet most of the people had no clue about the Restriction of Window statute that i posted up.

anyways, the cops will pull you over for stupid ****, ie no front LP, no rear LP light, restriction of widows, failure to signal intent to turn, etc <--- 70% of cops WILL NOT give you tickets for that, but they sure as hell will have probable cause to pull yuo over.

most of the time a petty stop like that can lead to a big drug bust, a DWI, warrant arrest, DWLS and good stuff like that.

last word of advice: keep the effing plate on if you don't wanna get stopped

just for that last part i'm taking my plate off