Process operator's....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MsGTO06
I am a process operator, have been for 20 years. It pays well. When product is going to sales you don't have an overload of work. But when things go to crap you are running your *** off. It is a good job benefits, 401k, ins etc. Now, if you can't handle shift work then don't even apply. You will miss things like ball games, plays with kids if you have any and family holidays. On the good side of shiftwork, you can visit your kids at school for lunch go on field trips, shop when things aren't crowded, make appts to do during day when most ppl are working and enjoy the house all to yourself lol. I have 3 kiddos and youngest was 3 when I started it was tough but we made it. Good luck. I also am looking for a job, got laid off April 14th.
what company did you work for?
Old 05-10-2009, 12:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by calz28
I just went for my 2nd interview at BOP for a Process Operator position. I hope i get selected.
hell yea! good luck...its a great place to work at

Originally Posted by redsox_ws6
Hook it up with a job, i'll give you $500 if you get me one, after the first month. I've been doing nothing but little dumb temp jobs for a staffing agency, they havent even got me interviews in the past 3 months. They just send me out to do small jobs. I bet there not even trying to get me a job they probably wanna keep me doing the small 2-3 days jobs.

What kind of experience do you have? like types of equipment?

IMO, id tell that staffing agency to get fucked an join the Local 2232. I know some supervisors that work for UPS and APM.

as for exxon....

https://www.exxonmobil-employment.com/

thats all i can do.....its tuff
Old 05-10-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was hoping my military experience would help out in getting in at a plant. My background is hydraulics and pneumatics. I troubleshot, rebuilt, inspected, and tested landing gear and flight controls for F/A-18 aircraft. I have extensive knowledge in hydraulics, hydraulic systems, actuators, cylinders, schematics, pumps, and valves ranging from basic shutoff valves to electro-hydraulic solenoid actuated control valves.

I hoped that also having a good mechanical ability, knowledge of computer programs, and just being a quick learner overall would help. So we'll see. Thanks again for the help.

Jon
Old 05-10-2009, 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ProjecT 9
I was hoping my military experience would help out in getting in at a plant. My background is hydraulics and pneumatics. I troubleshot, rebuilt, inspected, and tested landing gear and flight controls for F/A-18 aircraft. I have extensive knowledge in hydraulics, hydraulic systems, actuators, cylinders, schematics, pumps, and valves ranging from basic shutoff valves to electro-hydraulic solenoid actuated control valves.

I hoped that also having a good mechanical ability, knowledge of computer programs, and just being a quick learner overall would help. So we'll see.

Jon
**** it will....

the class that hired with me out of 22 people like 7 DID NOT have a military experience....

give it time....
Old 05-10-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

I work at Chevron Cedar Bayou on I-10. We are suppose to be hiring around 15 in June. We use Certified for hiring.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS2 KLR
I work at Chevron Cedar Bayou on I-10. We are suppose to be hiring around 15 in June. We use Certified for hiring.
I'll get setup with certified first thing monday. Thanks man.

Jon
Old 05-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Teching In

i also just got my certificate for process operating tech... im going to try to land a job with it....seems like every job im a day late and a dollar short... bein 2 companies just interview 10-15 people with my samequalifications
Old 05-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Carbon, I worked at Cain, Oxychem, Equistar and lastly it was Lyondell all the same plant. I quit on 2002 because my youngest was in his last year of high school and acting like a butt, so to keep him on the right track I quit and ran our other business. In 2005 I moved to Port arthur for a job with a company called Ineos phenol. They bought out Innovene in 2006 which made them a large company then. They shut down this unit in November and we stayed on till April. They don't look for it to come back in a year or 2 but who knows.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Teching In

anyone know of any small plants? i know al lthe major ones and select few small ones...
Old 05-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Setxathlete14 I dont, not in our area. I haven't been here long so if you hear of any that are hiring let me know.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Teching In

right now huntsman is hiring through monster.com
Old 05-11-2009, 07:07 AM
Teching In

I sent them a resume already. Thanks
Old 05-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Teching In

Have you applied to Exxon on their website? I passed up two interviews while I was working at the other job. Now I see it was a stupid thing to do.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MsGTO06
Carbon, I worked at Cain, Oxychem, Equistar and lastly it was Lyondell all the same plant. I quit on 2002 because my youngest was in his last year of high school and acting like a butt, so to keep him on the right track I quit and ran our other business. In 2005 I moved to Port arthur for a job with a company called Ineos phenol. They bought out Innovene in 2006 which made them a large company then. They shut down this unit in November and we stayed on till April. They don't look for it to come back in a year or 2 but who knows.
Were you there when Cain took over? Talk about a payday.

You do know Lyondell Chocolate Bayou shut down, right?
Old 05-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Don't forget to look at pipeline companies and companies in Mount Belvieu. some examples are Louis Dreyfuss (sp?), teppco, kinder morgan, explorer, magellan etc. Most big pipeline companies are MLP's. Many of them are held in this fund http://www.claymore.com/cef/fund/fmo/portfolio (not a recommendation for investment.... blah blah blah).
Old 05-11-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any of you heard of Targa Resources?

Last edited by ProjecT 9; 05-11-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ProjecT 9
Any of you heard of Targa Sources?
yea i got a buddy that works there
Old 05-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Teching In

No I wasn't there, I hired in right after that. Yep they got a big payday believe me I heard about it. I know it is shutdown I have some friends that still worked there. Some are staying till July. They (Lyondell) can't disassemble as they wanted too. Maybe someone will buy it and start it back up.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by had20z
yea i got a buddy that works there

P.M. sent.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

man, i've been at my chemical plant since i was 18yrs old, family owned business, back in 1998 you didnt need the p.tech degree, all you needed was a friend who worked there! but from what i heard the p.tech school is very little help compared to what the real world is.... our plant is a chemical plant and we do custom distillation for most MAJOR chemical companys, we have about 10 distillation units and hydrogen reactors, we do ALOT of start-up/shut-down cause, sometimes is about everyday plus we turn around and have to steam clean equipment and start all over with another product from a different customer... thats just how our place work, its a very HIGH paced enviroment, common sense is definately need when working in this line of work.... going back to subject, i remember a year ago there were all kinds of process tech jobs popping up all over the place, now its hard to find something since alot of plants did lay-offs and they are out looking for jobs, i know last year we had some tech students come work with us part time during the summer so that can get their feet wet in the enviroment, we even hired a couple of them, then they turned around and went to big plants like SHELL, Dupont and others....

and like mentioned, i hope you like to work shift work cause it takes 1/2 of your weekends off, plus you miss some games and stuff.... but having to only work 14days out of the month is rewarding aswell....

Quick Reply: Process operator's....