This is why I carry a gun EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks, I have a lot of work to do to my car, so I am going to make a couple of quick responses and get back to work before I take my mother and wife to dinner. I won't be back for a while so flame away people. I hope you never find yourself in the position this father did, and I also hope you have the means and strength to fight back if you do.

God Bless this child and his family. May he rest in peace and find comfort in the Lord. And I hope and pray that our justice system will give the harshest penalty possible to these criminals.

I posted a horrible story because it happened here in our great state and to demonstrate why it is that I am ready to defend myself at all times and my believe that every able bodied adult should take the same responsibility. If that bothers you then too bad. It's amazing that so many people can just look over this story and think nothing of the atrocity committed by those pieces of garbage, but then be so offended and spend so much time ridiculing someone who legally carries a firearm and is willing to use it to defend himself and his family.

Originally Posted by Adam98Z
He is. HPD I think
No, I'm not.

Originally Posted by Silver35thZ
Gun battle, thats the solution.. To be honest it sounds like you are just looking for an excuse to use your weapon and thats kind of scary.
I've been carrying a firearm every day for the last 9 years or so and I have never once drawn it from my inside-the-waistband holster on anyone, even when it would have been justified but not necessarily the best solution. My wife has also carried for the past 4 years and has never once drawn her weapon on anyone for any reason. So there goes that ignorant fact less based theory out the window.

We do not need everyday citizens with a class in "proper weapon technique" to start gun battles after they hear a shot or believe themselves to be in danger. Yes the CHL is for self defense but in this situation I think his primary worry should be to get his son out of the situation, not keep him there longer by returning fire and then having his son probably hit by more pellets
Some of the "everday citizens" you look down your nose at are some of the absolute best trained shots you could ever meet. Some of my friends who are "everyday citizens" are former U.S Special forces. Some of them are regular people who just wanted to carry a firearm for self defense and have no interest in being a cop or in the military, but can shoot with any of them. Some of those slobs that you think are incompetent are often better trained than any 10 cops you will meet. I have a friend who is a "mere CHL holder" who has used his gun to save his life and lived to talk about it. He and his little training class plus common sense saved his life.

Unfortunately common sense isn't so common anymore.

Originally Posted by mitchntx

I've left saddened and walked onto disturbed. A police officer is advocating returning fire.
You were "saddened" and now you're somehow "disturbed" that someone is advocating trying to save their life and the life of their child? You might want to do some research on what happens when active shooting criminals are met with armed resistance versus what happens when they have unarmed victims to terrorize.

You should be disturbed that these sacks of crap committed a horrible crime against an innocent child. If you're disturbed that a citizen believes in self defense to save the life of his child then you may want to stay indoors from now on because the world is tough and dangerous and if that disturbs you, you have problems.

With his training, that might be a reasonable response. But for the average CHL carrying citizen, detailed adversary and threat recogintion is not as part of the cirriculum.
Your "average CHL carrying citizen" could very well be better trained and a better shot than any cop or soldier.

Threat recognition is not part of the basic CHL class, but it also can't be taught easily. The best training in the world can't help you learn when to shoot, it can only give you an idea of when it may or may not be legal.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Thank you Interceptor for breaking up the context of my post and manipulating it in a manner to further your argument. Not once did I say I look down at anybody nor did I say anyone was incompetent. My father has his CHL and I also plan on obtaining mine so no I am not ignorant to the subject at hand. And thank you for addressing the manner of trying to get the boy out of lethal range for hospital help; you addressed the most important part, thank you!
Old 05-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NoClassic
So how would the other party having a gun helped anything in this situation? If they would have retaliated they would have been charged with the same offense as the "meth heads" or worse. Now the remaining children have lost not only a sibling but also a parent to incarceration.

If anyone is giving gun owners a bad name its the person who titled this thread.
Thankfully someone has some common sense.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Very sad that we live in a world that has people like this in it ! ! !
Old 05-10-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK #07
waiting on CHL.. should be here soon...

what i'll be carrying:

lol man we are in the same boat... i'm also waiting on my chl to get here and will also be carrying a g30... nice gun... anything done to it yet??
Old 05-10-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default R

Originally Posted by NoClassic
So how would the other party having a gun helped anything in this situation? If they would have retaliated they would have been charged with the same offense as the "meth heads" or worse. Now the remaining children have lost not only a sibling but also a parent to incarceration.

If anyone is giving gun owners a bad name its the person who titled this thread.
You saying if it was your family and you had a gun you would not have tried to stop the shooting??????

You should not jump on who did this thread... It is all over the NEWS....
Old 05-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

As a retired LEO I am petrified at some of the responses here . First of all hell yes if there was a CHL holder there he should have returned fire ,there was more than one shot fired who knows if they returned fire if the subsuquent shots would have been fired . It may have saved the childs life . What do think a CHL is for ???? It is for protection ,What did the family need ,,,, PROTECTION !!!!

FROM A RETIRED, SHOT IN THE LINE OF DUTY, PEACE OFFICER............
Old 05-10-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by neutron82
lol man we are in the same boat... i'm also waiting on my chl to get here and will also be carrying a g30... nice gun... anything done to it yet??
not yet... just bought it a few weeks ago... how about yours?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK #07
not yet... just bought it a few weeks ago... how about yours?
truglo night sights so far... those are really nice... if you didn't get yours with factory installed night sights i would definitely look into these... looking at getting a 3.5lb trigger connector next... the 5.5lb connector is a little too heavy for my taste... very nice guns though... i have put a little over 1000 rounds through it from various manufacturers and not one single jam or hiccup
Old 05-10-2009, 10:21 PM
11Second Club

Liberals are definitely moving into Texas. The only anti-self-defense post on here that makes any sense was the one saying that they would take the child to a hospital. But, that only makes sense if the situation would have allowed it.

At least three people were struck, so there were a significant number of shots fired, leading me to believe that the situation would not allow for a retrieval of the child and a quick escape. If it had, that's what the unarmed people would have done. Had they been armed, they should have (as has been stated) stopped the threat. Then, they should call 911 and get paramedics on the scene to see to the injured.

If you're out in the open and not in your vehicle (which they clearly were not) and are fired upon unprovoked and are armed, then you fire back. If you feel that defending your own life is so wrong that you'd throw your gun down and die to avoid it, then you're just stupid. There's no more elegant way to say it. You're just... ******' stupid.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY06TBSS
As a retired LEO I am petrified at some of the responses here . First of all hell yes if there was a CHL holder there he should have returned fire ,there was more than one shot fired who knows if they returned fire if the subsuquent shots would have been fired . It may have saved the childs life . What do think a CHL is for ???? It is for protection ,What did the family need ,,,, PROTECTION !!!!

yup, kinda hard to get your child out of the line of fire and to a hospital if you are being shot at!!
Old 05-11-2009, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

sad story to read, whats even sadder is the stupid responses from people in this thread that say "oh CHL holder would be a bad idea in this situation" So what should you do in this situation? curl up into a ball and become an easier target or shoot back?

God some people are so stupid.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:16 AM
On The Tree

amazing how some people on here think opening fire is not the right thing to do, i mean your family is in immediate danger, and you are going to sit there and do nothing??

Its sad to see that some people would not be able to protect themselves and their loved ones.

+1 on the liberal statement.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MY06TBSS

I am mortified ( ) that a LEO would advocate a gun fight. More folks being shot doesn't resolve anything.

If I had seen one of my kids shot in this manner, my first response is to get the kid in the car and go to a hospital and not exact a "pound of flesh". I can call the cops en-route.

You can spin the response any way you like. As long as we are "what if" -ing this scenario, what if return fire had been done and the meth-head's 7 year old son had been shot in the process. How can you justify that?

I am definitely pro-gun as I own my fair share and I have no issue with a CHL. I do have problems with the US becoming a militia state.

There are scenarios where defending yourself is justified. If no escape is possible, then by all means, defend yourself with whatever means you have. But if escape is possible, then "making a stand" like at the OK Corral is not justified.

MHO
Old 05-11-2009, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

There are scenarios where defending yourself is justified. If no escape is possible, then by all means, defend yourself with whatever means you have. But if escape is possible, then "making a stand" like at the OK Corral is not justified.

MHO
And the only person who can make the call on if escape is possible or not is the one in the situation. It is pointless to argue either way as to what the individual posters think they would do in the same situation. If you are ever in such a difficult position, then you will know.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 06 SS
And the only person who can make the call on if escape is possible or not is the one in the situation. It is pointless to argue either way as to what the individual posters think they would do in the same situation. If you are ever in such a difficult position, then you will know.
And thank you for a post full of sanity and reasonable thinking.

You are 100% correct.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:53 AM
11 Second Club

First of all, That was fucked up of that couple to do. And 40ft. away??!!! Anybody with common sense and a CHL would have returned fire.

ok, your shot at 40ft away. YES, cover your child. Remember "40ft." thats a little over 13 yards!!!! Now, they didnt fire once, but at least twice, who knows maybe more. Now do you think 13 yards away is enough space to get your child out of range in a hurry? um, no! So, I dont care who you are! Unless your a ******* *****, If you had a gun and you were getting fired upon while with your family, You would return fire just to get out of there! Now, thank god these dumbasses stopped shooting, otherwise, who knows how far they were willing to go! All of them could of been laying there. Had they had a gun, the outcome would of been different! When your scared, and trust me, they were scared, the last thing your thinking of is if you will get prosecuted. So yes, anybody would of shot back, no if's, and's, or or's about it. In the animal world, if you get between a mother and her kids, regardless of what animal it is, it will attack you! And thats exactly what we all are, Animals!

People need to realize how stupid this world is and stop being retarded by saying that a CHL and a GUN wouldnt of helped the situation!!

God Bless this family....... Im sorry for their expirience
Old 05-11-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fastvet
In the animal world, if you get between a mother and her kids, regardless of what animal it is, it will attack you! And thats exactly what we all are, Animals!
Not all of us ...

I can think, reason and react accordingly. It's what set's humans apart from mere animals.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

The articles I read said they shot from about 40 yards not feet.

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stori...g.5e2b8c7.html

Standing thats a tough hit with a short barrel pistol, but just taking a few shots may have been enough to prevent the second shot. Which I think is the one that hit the kid.

The more I watch the video the more it looks like everyone was still in the truck when all of this happened.

I keep checking for updates to the story but there isnt much yet.

Last edited by NoClassic; 05-11-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

Not all of us ...

I can think, reason and react accordingly. It's what set's humans apart from mere animals.
There is no getting through to you bro. I hope it never happens to you, but if it does, i would like it if you would post it up here on the forum how you reasoned with the alleged shooter while he was busy busting caps your way.

NoClassic:
Whether it was 40 yards away or not, a shotgun with 00-buck will do some damage at that range. Remember that a shotgun spreads its pellets and its not one piece of lead flying through the air, its multiple. Majority of 00-bucks have a minimum of about 8 pellets in it. They shot twice, so thats just as good as saying that they shot approximately 16 times. Any one of those 16 pellets can and will kill!! Now as far as a pistol shooting 40yards, that is not hard either. Most handguns have an accurracy of a minimal of about 50yards. And thats accurracy not area target.

Bottom line, I hope they get what they deserve!!

Quick Reply: This is why I carry a gun EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!