If you build your own house, how much per square foot, roughly speaking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default If you build your own house, how much per square foot, roughly speaking?

I know builders can charge like $100/square foot.

If someone builds their own house, how much can they usually do it for down here?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:00 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did mine back in 02 for about 65-66, but I did put a lot of pricey stuff in it like the most energy efficient windows, tankless water heaters, Tech sheild, Random patter slate floors though out the house, Granite counter tops bla bla bla. Its for sale again and while it is a little different than when I owned it you get the picture here is the link to the add on HAR.
http://search.har.com/engine/dispSea...ie%20Farm%20Rd
Old 06-11-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can spend as much or as little as you want. You also need to consider the price of the lot and if you're including that into your sq ft pricing.

Originally Posted by Inspector12
I did mine back in 02 for about 65-66, but I did put a lot of pricey stuff in it like the most energy efficient windows, tankless water heaters, Tech sheild, Random patter slate floors though out the house, Granite counter tops bla bla bla. Its for sale again and while it is a little different than when I owned it you get the picture here is the link to the add on HAR.
Very nice house.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

hot "realtor agent"
Old 06-11-2009, 08:50 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 96-speed
You can spend as much or as little as you want. You also need to consider the price of the lot and if you're including that into your sq ft pricing.

Very nice house.
Thanks tried buying it back when things got better, but it didn't work out etc...They did **** up my 7 car garage LOL!

Last edited by Inspector12; 06-11-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Banned

thats a bad *** house!!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96-speed

Very nice house.
An economy/affordable house. The price of the lot would be separate.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Son of a gun. I always admire that house when I'm on Dixie. The realtor is hot, too. lol.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:21 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Son of a gun. I always admire that house when I'm on Dixie. The realtor is hot, too. lol.
Yeah my best friend is pissed cause he owns the lot next door and now we won't be neighbors I leared a lot doing that house its harder than some think, but it was worth the effort for me and I like that stuff too. Currently remodeling my current house. Hardest part for me was getting the construction loan so I could do it myself, it took some creative thinking to say the least.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Teching In

My parents are paying aroung 65 a sq. foot for their new house. Its being built on stilts also.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

probably a min of about 75/sqft. that is with no brick just hardy. You could possibly get it a little lower. like stated above you personally will not be able to get a construction loan but there are ways around that.

I cant decide if i should build my own or bye.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

Including the price of an over 17,000 sqft lot, I paid ~$79 per sq ft. And that's with several upgrades (granite, carpet and pad, 3-car garage, all masonry exterior with stucco, brick and stone, etc.). But it's not a custom home. Customs are definitely higher.

Be careful about doing it yourself. I have family friends who went that route, and they ended up paying more in the long run than if they had just hired a builder. Also, what's your stress level worth?
Old 06-12-2009, 11:29 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Just completed our semi-custom home with Partners In Building. Typical prices are in the $90-100 sq-ft range for several upgrades. Not including land.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Complete custom home, 2 acres, $100/ft^2.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:16 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just built mine, 2500 sq/ft rambler with a full basement(2500 sq/ft) 5 bedrooms, paid $250k and got alot of upgrades.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Well, my Dad has built a couple houses before: his own house a long time ago (early 80s) in Friendswood (right off 2351 near Sunset) and an add-on about 10 years ago in Arcola. He just thinks he can do it for a lot less than what I think it a lot more likely.

Dad: I can do it for $30,000!!

Me: I don't think so.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:23 PM

Price per square ft. last year sold for much more since home sales were up. Now the price of homes has fallen since there are so many homes on the market in foreclosure and unemployment is up. Home builders are desprete to build homes and since building materials have fallen, nows the time to jump in. The interest rates are good also. I just did a refi 3 weeks ago and got 4.25% for 15yrs...

Just to give you an idea, my parents just bought a 4000 sqf fully custom home in the french quarters right on the lake that was on the books for 650k last yr and closed on it for 500k ish.

200k lots are now going for a tad over 100k

Great deals to be had now days!!!!

Last edited by BADZ; 06-12-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:49 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Well some of these guys are giving you some good advice to think about. One make sure you and your dad have all your ducks in a row before tackling such a project, and you won't be able to focus on anything else really. If you don't have any contractor contacts. You might want to start getting some by stopping by homes underconstruction etc... Even if the guys working on the house you are looking at can't do it odds are they will know some people that can help you and all the contractors usually know each other. Meaning different trades will be able to help you find the next one you need. Get your plans, and start getting bids for stuff you are going to have done by contractors and get more that one bid. Check there work talk to people that have used them and look at what they have built before. Also never pay them up front no more than materials and a little for there time depending on what they are going to do if the job is going to take weeks then you might get a payment schedule set up with them making sure they finish before you pay them there final payment. Have them put in writing what they are doing for you and what materials they are going to provide. It is the only way to budget and stay close to it. GL.
Jeff
Old 06-13-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Junkie

^ for real about having stuff in writing! My dad added a 2nd story to our house, and the contractor tried ******* my dad over on supplies etc... Dude was kind of shady, after they finished building it, all his workers showed up at our house and they said he didnt pay them for their work... So when the contractor showed up to get the last of the $$ that was due, my dad called the workers; they showed up while the contractor was here and were ready to beat his ***... **** was wild!!!
Old 06-13-2009, 03:16 PM
9 Second Club

Necessity is the mother of all invention. My wife & I built our house for 30k. It is a small 1400 sq ft pier & beam foundation house. It is what we could afford at the time with the location/acreage we wanted.

It was hell, we worked non stop for 4 months. No one touched our house but us. It was hard to do the concrete, septic, electical, plumbing, & I hated the drywall.

We had to find someone to sign off as our contractor to get the constuction loan too. We spared no effort in saving money. As an example we got 15k in interest free credit from home depot. We bought all of our materials minus lumber from them. We did not have to pay interest for 6 mos. Then we payed them off after we mortgaged the house saving the interest we would have payed on the construction loan.

Quick Reply: If you build your own house, how much per square foot, roughly speaking?