Why is it legal/acceptable to drink and drive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a real nice 24oz Dos Equis Ambar on fathers day at On The Border and drove home . Im just glad I didnt kill anyone.

On a side note... I think the OP needs to drink a damn "bear" and see what all the hype is about. I thought everyone in Texas drank beer anyways...
Old 06-24-2009, 12:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XplicitPerformance
I like to drink many beers while driving down the highway. It makes it much more fun. Kind of like a real life video game as i try and dodge the other vehicles.

I am JK! People will do as they chose. I still see people drinking a beer as they drive during rush hour.

Plus it makes road trips go alot faster, until you have to stop and ****.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPILS1
Well I drink regularly mostly beer, but dabble in cheap whiskey. I can have one drink at dinner and feel absolutley no effect of it imo im 6'5 265+ but what i have a problem with and it blows my mind, that every gas station sells 16-24oz tall dogs on ice all day long, and even place them in a concelable bag for you to get back in your car. WTF is that I lived a few places in my life and never seen anything as crazy as that so if someone would explain that to me...
I was told that by law they must put the singles in a bag. How true that is I don't know.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:27 AM
On The Tree

If you think that's bad I was driving back before there was an "open container" law. 8 people in the truck, 10 beers, if we saw a cop or got lit up the 5 people in the back would have a beer in each hand. Buncha lushes. Ah, good times, good times.

Originally Posted by Dirty Dog
The reality is that different people are affected differently by alcohol, and while I (as an example) cannot walk straight with a BA of 0.050 (I don't drink...) I have seen some of our professional drunks awake and talking with a BA of over 0.800. The worlds record is just over 1.000.
Uhm........................

At 0.800 even the most seasoned alcoholic was probably dead long before they reached 0.800. I don't think the "world record" of 1.000 has never been reached. I've read anacdotal stories of BAC over 1.000 but none of it has ever been confirmed with scientific data that I've ever been able to get my hands on. If you've got confirmation of a BAC 1.000 or more I'd love to see it.

0.725 or so, confirmed with an accurate measuring system, is the highest I have ever heard of and that person (woman if I remember correctly) was in a coma from alcohol poisoning. I read about someone in another country somewhere that had a 0.9-- years ago but even then the equipment used to measure the alcohol was not advanced to the levels of modern technology and was far from accurate. I believe it was determined that the actual BAC was somewhere in the mid-0.7-- range.

At 0.400 people skip jail and go straight to the ER for detoxification. At 0.400 most people don't ever come out.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:21 AM
10 Second Club

OP is one of those smart dumb people.

MADD and the government have turned alcohol into a business. They make millions of dollars from incarceration and prosecution. It fuels the criminal justice system.

Responsible drinking and driving is legal. Drinking while driving is not. And driving while drunk is wrong and should be prosecuted. Folks that have a beer or two with a meal should not be prosecuted.

You need to understand. Everything is "almost" acceptable in moderation.

Smoke pot, OK...... fine... Pothead = bad.
Snort a line.... Ok..... fun at a party... do it all the time = Cokehead
Crack... well I dont think it is ok... but I think Crackheads are dumb and funny.

pretty much abusers ruin everything. I think if we actually used harmful substances as a form of population control (like nature has Natural Selection) it wouldnt be all that bad. Too many idiots need Uncle Sam saying what they can and can't do and they are removing your choices in life. That is not what America needs to be. If I want a damn beer and am capable of driving a car.. leave me alone. I am a person that likes to have a 20oz for dinner at a restaurant now and then. I dont get wasted or try to kill folks on the road.

Seems like some folks feel the need to be told when to take a ****. lol
Old 06-24-2009, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

Its not illegal to drink then drive.. It's illegal to get DRUNK then drive. There is a difference and its the way it ought to be.

/ Thread
Old 06-24-2009, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

Uhmm,.......Give Me Beer, Or Give Me Death!!! In my honest opinion, those casualties that are out on the road that late at night, should get the hell out of the way! They know there are drunks out, so why be out? Just stay the hell away from a drunk driver and everybody wins! LMAO I'm just playing!!

But the brown baggie for the 24oz is a damn good idea, regardless who thought of it!
Old 06-24-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Isn't there some law that Texas is trying to pass to test ppl that leave bars to see if they can drive. I heard something like that. Can someone chime in on this
Old 06-24-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

People who drink and drive get off too easy. A lot of ignorance in this thread with all these people and their badass "tolerance".
Old 06-24-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

it is illegal to drink and drive. you will get a ticket if you are caught.
I dont agree with the law but its probably best that you cant drink and drive.

In a perfect world I think the laws should be that you cant DWI. you can drink before you drive or drink while you drive all you want but dont drive drunk. this is not a perfect world so that may not be the best plan.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

Some people can handle it, some people cant. I think there are worse drivers on the road who are sober. Also, sleep deprivation is pretty much the same as being drunk, how to you regulate things like that?

that said, if I plan on drinking Ill stay inside or arrange a ride ahead of time
Old 06-24-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slash8915
It's all about money my friend. I can honestly tell you that in most cases, alcohol makes up about 50% of a restaurants profits. (give or take) If alcohol were to be banned from restaurants, they would be closing left and right.
Profit comes from people who come to spend $12 per plate and not $14 for beers. Most of the money from alcohol sales goes into taxes, permits, etc. If a restaurant sells more than 48% then its considered a bar or they get in trouble
Old 06-24-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

But yeah, I see people eat lunch, drink some beers, and go back to work.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jermstyle

Just to set the preface, I don’t consume alcohol and never have, so my understanding of the rationality of some people is limited.
I think you are too ignorant on this subject to determine whether or not the two drinkers at the bar with you are ok to drive home. You don't even know how alcohol affects your OWN body, let alone someone else's.

You do realize these 2 guys have probably done the same thing year in and year out with ZERO consequences, right?
Old 06-24-2009, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

This is why they have a "legal" blood alcohol limit. Depending on your size/weight, the amount of alcohol you consume will get you to that limit sooner than others. It's up to the individual to know their limit, not the restaurant. If they consume enough alcohol to be over the legal limit, then that's their decision.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

90% of the people in this thread have driven drunk...me included. When you're out drinking, you think to yourself....I'm ok to drive. The next morning, you think, man...I was jacked up last night, I shouldn't have driven home.

I used to do that all the time. I don't anymore though. People will be people. Not much we can do about it.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

I dont drink and drive. I drink THEN drive.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

On a side note... I think the OP needs to drink a damn "bear" and see what all the hype is about. I thought everyone in Texas drank beer anyways...[/QUOTE]

WE DO
Old 06-24-2009, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

It’s pretty easy to tell who drives under the influence and tries to justify it with one BS reason after another. I could really care less about tolerance and how differently it affects everyone.

The question/point of my original post is - Why is it acceptable to consume alcohol and then go get in the car and leave. This doesn’t only apply to the guys drinking beer with their lunch, it applies to bars, clubs, gas stations ect.

If it was politically acceptable I’m sure that narcotics would be legal and heavily taxed. Would that then make it okay to get stoned and go drive a car? Or would it only be okay if you just had a small amount for social reasons and then drove?

If the there was no tax revenue on alcohol it would be illegal.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Hi, I posted facts in this thread earlier. Would anyone like to comment on those or just throw out random personal opinions?