Why is it legal/acceptable to drink and drive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why is it legal/acceptable to drink and drive?

Flame suit on.

Just to set the preface, I don’t consume alcohol and never have, so my understanding of the rationality of some people is limited.

My issue is that I don’t understand why people drive to a restaurant or bar, consume alcohol and then get in the car to go out and potentially kill innocent people.

I’m at lunch today at Chilies, sitting at the bar (only open seats), when I see two separate people with tall glasses of beer that had to be at least 24oz. These people drove to the restaurant in a vehicle and are now consuming alcohol. Both of them left when I did after about 30 minutes which is 1.5 hours less than the guideline for metabolizing two bears (if you believe that).

I just think that it’s total crap that you can go get liquored up and then hop in the car and take off. How can it be legal to sell alcohol at drive-up locations when you know that the people are going to drive home (or back to work) with it in their system?

If alcohol must be sold at drive-up locations I think that you should be required to wait at least one hour per volume of alcohol or get go to jail, period.

If people absolutely need to consume alcohol I think that it should be purchased at a store and consumed on your own private property without the involvement of vehicles.

Last edited by jermstyle; 06-23-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all about money my friend. I can honestly tell you that in most cases, alcohol makes up about 50% of a restaurants profits. (give or take) If alcohol were to be banned from restaurants, they would be closing left and right.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

While I do agree with you in principle, not everyone drinks alcohol to the point of drunkeness and everyone has different tolerances. While one person may drink that 24 oz glass of beer and be incapacitated, someone else may be able to drink 5 or 6 of them and still be perfectly coherent.

I for one have actually grown to like the taste of a couple of different types of beer and do not see any harm in casually drinking one with lunch/dinner. While I, like yourself, do not condone driving drunk, high, or stupid, people still do it nonetheless.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reality is that different people are affected differently by alcohol, and while I (as an example) cannot walk straight with a BA of 0.050 (I don't drink...) I have seen some of our professional drunks awake and talking with a BA of over 0.800. The worlds record is just over 1.000.
The problem is that the very first thing alcohol does is reduce your ability to make judgements. So when you decide that you're sober enough to drive, you're not really able to make that judgement.
After some 30 years of trying to patch up the victims, I will put it this way. Drink all you want. But don't get in a car. Not even after one.
And if you do get in a car, I think your very first DUI should be a mandatory 5 years in an 8x10 foot cell with a hairy backed knuckle dragging mouth breather named Bubba who wants to be your special friend. Repeat offenders should get even more punishment.

Keep in mind that the legal BA is 0.080 in most states now, but that is only for DUI. If your BA is less than that but you're not safe to drive (as I would not be) then they bust you for Driving While Ability Impaired or some similar phrase.

Drink at home. Have a designated driver. Take a taxi. But don't drive.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

what the hell is bear anyways?.....
Old 06-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Teching In

First off Im not condoning getting hammered then trying to drive but in general one or two beers wont impair your judgement to the point you shouldn't drive. The general guidline (from someone who is TABC certified) on how many drinks you can have in a given time are going to greatly depend on a few factors:

-Bodyweight: simply put the heavier you are, the more drinks you can consume without feeling ill effects. So the guys you saw drink the two beers depending on how big they were may not have really been phased. The general rule of thumb is one drink per hour is what your body can metabolize and still be ok.

-Sex: In general a man and woman of similar weight will absorb different amounts of alcohol into thier blood stream due to body water concentration. Women generally have less body water and thus will absorb higher levels of alcohol in thier bloodstream than a man all other factors equal.

-Food: Its pretty well known that eating will help hold off the effects of alcohol due to the fact it absorbs alcohol in the stomach and allows for a slower release of alcohol, so with no food in the stomach, alcohol gets into your bloodstream fairly quick.

Even with all this, everybody is different, and so it thier tollerance to alcohol. Most people though are perfectly capable going out for a meal and a drink or two, and being more than fine to drive home.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

How do you drink a Bear? Do you put it in the blender first?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys have a lot of fun with a typo... small things for small...
Old 06-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Banned

I like to drink many beers while driving down the highway. It makes it much more fun. Kind of like a real life video game as i try and dodge the other vehicles.

I am JK! People will do as they chose. I still see people drinking a beer as they drive during rush hour.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tex7387
First off Im not condoning getting hammered then trying to drive but in general one or two beers wont impair your judgement to the point you shouldn't drive. The general guidline (from someone who is TABC certified) on how many drinks you can have in a given time are going to greatly depend on a few factors:

-Bodyweight: simply put the heavier you are, the more drinks you can consume without feeling ill effects. So the guys you saw drink the two beers depending on how big they were may not have really been phased. The general rule of thumb is one drink per hour is what your body can metabolize and still be ok.
Not exactly true. Fat tissue does not absorb alcohol, so just because you're big doesn't mean your body can take more alcohol. It's another reason why women typically can drink less than men. They have a higher percentage of body fat so the alcohol affects them more.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Junkie

To the OP, have you ever drank?

You really have no reason to be bothered by a couple random guys getting a drink at a bar, and then leaving after 30min. Do you know their tolerances? And I would hardly call them drinking a couple beers... "getting liquored up". Im about 6'2-6'3, 190-200lbs and can drink beer for hours with out feeling a buzz (so I usually use liquor to speed up the process )

Just bc someone has drank, doesnt mean that they have a buzz, or are drunk. I think you'd understand if you drank alcohol.

Its not practical to think that everyone that drinks at bars/restaurants/parties should take a taxi. Getting a taxi is MF expensive, especially after spending $$ at the bars. If you're OK to drive, then why waste your money?? Now if I'm actually DRUNK, then yes, I will find a ride or get a taxi. But getting a taxi everytime I go to a bar would be gay/retarded.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:44 PM
12 Second Club

Well I drink regularly mostly beer, but dabble in cheap whiskey. I can have one drink at dinner and feel absolutley no effect of it imo im 6'5 265+ but what i have a problem with and it blows my mind, that every gas station sells 16-24oz tall dogs on ice all day long, and even place them in a concelable bag for you to get back in your car. WTF is that I lived a few places in my life and never seen anything as crazy as that so if someone would explain that to me...
Old 06-23-2009, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro
what the hell is bear anyways?.....
Originally Posted by KyleLs1
How do you drink a Bear? Do you put it in the blender first?

Man you cannot even think about flaming people without reading your post first here. That **** is funny as hell.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RPILS1
Well I drink regularly mostly beer, but dabble in cheap whiskey. I can have one drink at dinner and feel absolutley no effect of it imo im 6'5 265+ but what i have a problem with and it blows my mind, that every gas station sells 16-24oz tall dogs on ice all day long, and even place them in a concelable bag for you to get back in your car. WTF is that I lived a few places in my life and never seen anything as crazy as that so if someone would explain that to me...
Ya, that is some ****. Its like they're asking you to drink and drive.

I think some people with out cars may buy one to drink on their walk? Who knows. I know in Austin, I've bought a few single beers at convenience stores that are close to buddies houses.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jermstyle
If people absolutely need to consume alcohol I think that it should be purchased at a store and consumed on your own private property without the involvement of vehicles.
There was a study that in the state of TX most DUI fatalities were involved in counties that DO NOT allow on site consumption. So, you actually want more people to die? I'm confused.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Texas has more alcohol-related traffic accidents than any other state. Of course, it has more people driving more miles than almost any other state. At the same time, California has a larger population driving more miles of driving than any other state, yet it has fewer alcohol-related crashes than Texas.

With its larger population, California should have more alcohol-related accidents than Texas. However, there’s one very important difference between the two states: Texas has a large number of dry (prohibition) counties whereas California has none.

Research has long demonstrated that the existence of dry counties increases alcohol-related automotive accidents and fatalities. For example, a recent study of about 39,000 alcohol-related traffic accidents in wet compared to dry counties in Kentucky found that a higher proportion of dry counties' residents are involved in such crashes.

The analysis suggests that residents of dry counties have to drive farther from their homes to consume alcohol, thus increasing impaired driving exposure.

Texas receives extra federal funding to permit it to clamp down on drunk drivers and is also dramatically increasing punishments in an effort to reduce DWI/DUI. Perhaps it should also eliminate one of the causes of drunk driving -- dry counties.

Excerpted from the article, “Alcohol-Related Traffic Crashes: A Cause.” By David J. Hanson, Ph.D.
Sorry, had to back it up.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:18 PM
LS7 Member

I had the biggest margarita at gringos today with my dinner. I guess I was lucky to make it home without incident.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:20 PM
9 Second Club

If you can believe this, up until a couple of years ago you could legally drink while driving without any speed limit here in Montana. I used to drink a beer while driving my car but mostly while in rural areas.

The federal gov't threatened to take away hwy grants unless we started enforcing speed & open container laws. So now we have speed limits of 70 on little 2 lane roads & there is a small fine for open container. Now DUI is a lot more serious obviously.

I do not believe there was much difference in fatalities before & after.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just dont drink in the vette..
Old 06-23-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Roughly, how much is an open container ticket in Texas? jw.