Need Help To Pass Inspection in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
you get one free retest 15 days after the initial test, after that you have to pay again... ask the shop to do a readiness test to make sure the monitors are set before they actually do the reinspection... most places should have enough sincerity to atleast do that for you
This **** is a f---ing joke!
Old 07-03-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

well atleast you get a chance to fix it and get it passed without having to pay again... if they wanted to be total dicks about it they would have the law set to where we had to pay every single time we go in and not have the chance for a free retest... they have to draw the line somewhere otherwise people would take advantage of the system... i personally don't think it's out of line
Old 07-03-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well atleast you get a chance to fix it and get it passed without having to pay again... if they wanted to be total dicks about it they would have the law set to where we had to pay every single time we go in and not have the chance for a free retest... they have to draw the line somewhere otherwise people would take advantage of the system... i personally don't think it's out of line
Yes it is out of line. They can tell me something is wrong with my car but they cant tell me what it is. JOKE!!!
Old 07-03-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

it's not their job to tell you what you need to do to get it fixed... i'm sure if you pay them they will look at it, but if you are like me and many others on this board, you will do your best to avoid that... a few of us have been trying to help you, so whether you take the advice is up to you... personally i don't think anything is wrong with your car other than driving the crap out of it to get the evap to set and having your tuner fix the issue with the rear o2's... but if you can just get the evap set you will be fine because you can have 1 monitor set to not ready and still pass on an '02 car... don't get so butthurt over it it's not that big of a deal... and like i suggested, try asking them to check the readiness status of your car before they actually retest it... they can use the inspection machines to make sure your readiness codes are set without really doing an inspection... most places are cool and if the codes aren't set they will send you on your way and you will still have a chance to get it fixed before you get charged again
Old 07-03-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it's not their job to tell you what you need to do to get it fixed... i'm sure if you pay them they will look at it, but if you are like me and many others on this board, you will do your best to avoid that... a few of us have been trying to help you, so whether you take the advice is up to you... personally i don't think anything is wrong with your car other than driving the crap out of it to get the evap to set and having your tuner fix the issue with the rear o2's... but if you can just get the evap set you will be fine because you can have 1 monitor set to not ready and still pass on an '02 car... don't get so butthurt over it it's not that big of a deal... and like i suggested, try asking them to check the readiness status of your car before they actually retest it... they can use the inspection machines to make sure your readiness codes are set without really doing an inspection... most places are cool and if the codes aren't set they will send you on your way and you will still have a chance to get it fixed before you get charged again
I not trying to sound like a dick and appreciate the advice your giving me. The thing is I asked the place I took it to and they had no clue why the evap is not ready. They are a regular shop not one of these tire and lube shops. I've also driven the car almost a thousand miles since I had the battery unhooked. So I'm going to call my tuner monday and see what they can do.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

hmmm well if all else fails on the evap have your tuner get rid of those codes too and you should be good to go lol... i was frustrated as hell when i was trying to get my codes set, so i know how you feel... once it's over with it will be a relief
Old 07-03-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the tuner can fix the o2 no problem then I could careless about the evap. I'm just wondering why they didnt do it right the first time.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JeaneZ28
I not trying to sound like a dick and appreciate the advice your giving me. The thing is I asked the place I took it to and they had no clue why the evap is not ready. They are a regular shop not one of these tire and lube shops. I've also driven the car almost a thousand miles since I had the battery unhooked. So I'm going to call my tuner monday and see what they can do.

It doesn't matter where you take it, a half retarted meth head could get an inspectors badge, we all go through the same stupid and pointless class. I had my DPS tech tell me one day that he knows we learn nothing in class, you learn everything with on the job training. If your lucky you get an inspector who is a car enthusiast and can tell you what is wrong. At the same time though, a not ready on evap can be a number of things, and our machines don't tell us anything, just that its either ready or not, and it will tell us the code if it is throwing one. But half the time the code explanation makes no sense whatsoever. I don't agree with the way the laws are written, but atleast they do give you a window to get it re-inspected for free. I think paying for failing is smart, and should be done. But re-inspections should be unlimited in my opinion. Ive had it happen countless times where somebody will fail emissions, and get a new cat and bring it back and it still fails. But the machine doesn't make us charge again after they use up their free re-inspection. You are supposed to, but it comes down to the inspector. You can usually tell who actually cares about getting their car to pass, and who gets in no hurry and wants us to bend over backwards for them, which doesn't happen. But what im getting to is there is no reason to get mad at your inspector, we are not trained nor are we payed enough to diagnose, but I do what I can to help customers. Good luck with the car
Old 07-06-2009, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
It doesn't matter where you take it, a half retarted meth head could get an inspectors badge, we all go through the same stupid and pointless class. I had my DPS tech tell me one day that he knows we learn nothing in class, you learn everything with on the job training. If your lucky you get an inspector who is a car enthusiast and can tell you what is wrong. At the same time though, a not ready on evap can be a number of things, and our machines don't tell us anything, just that its either ready or not, and it will tell us the code if it is throwing one. But half the time the code explanation makes no sense whatsoever. I don't agree with the way the laws are written, but atleast they do give you a window to get it re-inspected for free. I think paying for failing is smart, and should be done. But re-inspections should be unlimited in my opinion. Ive had it happen countless times where somebody will fail emissions, and get a new cat and bring it back and it still fails. But the machine doesn't make us charge again after they use up their free re-inspection. You are supposed to, but it comes down to the inspector. You can usually tell who actually cares about getting their car to pass, and who gets in no hurry and wants us to bend over backwards for them, which doesn't happen. But what im getting to is there is no reason to get mad at your inspector, we are not trained nor are we payed enough to diagnose, but I do what I can to help customers. Good luck with the car
I get what you're saying but if I was inspecting cars I would learn something about why they fail. That way I can tell the owner I will diagnose the problem and try to fix it for them. Meaning more money in the business is bring in. I wouldnt tell them " I dont know what it could be. Maybe you should talk to your tuner" when the dipshits dynotune cars. Now I could understand if I took my car to Jiffylube and they said they dont know what it could be. Its almost as bad as someone telling me my oil lights on but they dont know why.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, I see where your coming from. A lot of the inspectors out there do know what they are talking about. But there is more morons that are inspectors than intelligent car people. Its a hit or miss type of thing when you take your car somewhere. A lot of times you will run into a shop who is so busy, they may know how to help you but dont want to bother with it bc they have better stuff to do.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
Yeah, I see where your coming from. A lot of the inspectors out there do know what they are talking about. But there is more morons that are inspectors than intelligent car people. Its a hit or miss type of thing when you take your car somewhere. A lot of times you will run into a shop who is so busy, they may know how to help you but dont want to bother with it bc they have better stuff to do.
I agree with you because most mechanics only know what the computer tells them. If it tells them nothing they're clueless. Its not like the good old days when a mechanic could listen to your car and tell you what's wrong.

Quick Reply: Need Help To Pass Inspection in Texas