TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is so much stupid in this thread
Old 07-31-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Postman
what concept is he not grasping?

if a head has to move air on its own it needs to be as efficient as possible...everyone knows that...on a N/A motor the better the heads the more power you can make.

if it has a hairdryer ramming it down its throat it doesn't matter how big the ports are the air is going in it....end of discussion...all you have to do to get more power out of a turbo car is turn the boost up....you can have the shittiest heads ever on a turbo car and still make as much power as a N/A car with good heads...

and like Mike said, better heads on either setup will make a difference...but he's saying a N/A motor with **** heads will lose more than a turbo car with those same heads...make sense??

The turbo makes up for the heads being inefficient.
i understand a n/a setup is more reliant on a good set of heads, but we're talking about FI and stock heads.

you can only cram so much air down a narrow intake runner...you can only get so much air out through an unported exhaust chamber. so the answer is YES ported heads do make a difference on a turbo application. is it as critical as a n/a setup? no, but yes it makes a differernce.

let me see someone cram 5lbs of **** down a coffee stirring straw....now let me see someone cram 5lbs of **** down a paper towel roll....
Old 07-31-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slowredz
There is so much stupid in this thread
a whole lot of it.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TINKRD
i understand a n/a setup is more reliant on a good set of heads, but we're talking about FI and stock heads.

you can only cram so much air down a narrow intake runner...you can only get so much air out through an unported exhaust chamber. so the answer is YES ported heads do make a difference on a turbo application. is it as critical as a n/a setup? no, but yes it makes a differernce.

let me see someone cram 5lbs of **** down a coffee stirring straw....now let me see someone cram 5lbs of **** down a paper towel roll....
thats the only point i was trying to make, you'll see more of a gain on a N/A motor than on a FI motor.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

I bet aftermarket heads pick up 100+ more rear wheel horsepower on a turbo car than they do on a naturally aspirated motor
Old 07-31-2009, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

well yea if you leave the boost turned up. the good thing that comes from running a good head on a FI car is that you can in turn cut the boost in half and still make the same HP
Old 07-31-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

almost 2 full pages of quack quack
Old 07-31-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

This thread hurts my head. Lol.

Somebody needs to go back to the basics of turbo cars. Why do all the 4-bangers put huge intake manifolds, and wild port jobs on their turbo setups???
Old 07-31-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
This thread hurts my head. Lol.

Somebody needs to go back to the basics of turbo cars. Why do all the 4-bangers put huge intake manifolds, and wild port jobs on their turbo setups???
Because it makes more power, is more efficient, lowers EGTs, etc. But I bet you knew that already.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default answer this question

If you have 10 psi boost on stock heads, what would your boost be with ported and polished heads set up for the blower? Should the boost drop or go up in pressure????? What would happen to the HP output???

??????
Old 07-31-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

well yea if you leave the boost turned up. the good thing that comes from running a good head on a FI car is that you can in turn cut the boost in half and still make the same HP
Who cares about "upgrading" and making the same power
Old 07-31-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Actually

It may mean that your heads are using 1/2 of your boost pressure. Therefore if you cut it in 1/2 you will not see a change in hp. Maybe the heads are only utilizing a smaller flow than your FI can put out!!!!! THEY NEED TO BE PORTED TO PASS MOST AIR TO THE ENGINE, there fore your boost pressure would drop as your flow has increased. Then you can get all your stock motor can handle....

vette
Old 07-31-2009, 07:59 PM
10 Second Club

what concept is he not grasping?

if a head has to move air on its own it needs to be as efficient as possible...everyone knows that...on a N/A motor the better the heads the more power you can make.

if it has a hairdryer ramming it down its throat it doesn't matter how big the ports are the air is going in it....end of discussion...all you have to do to get more power out of a turbo car is turn the boost up....you can have the shittiest heads ever on a turbo car and still make as much power as a N/A car with good heads...

and like Mike said, better heads on either setup will make a difference...but he's saying a N/A motor with **** heads will lose more than a turbo car with those same heads...make sense??

The turbo makes up for the heads being inefficient.
bingo...that is my point.... a turbo car saying his heads suck doesnt mean **** compared to an NA guy saying the same thing.

they bitch at me about excuses yet produce the same ****. I just called em on it.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Blowers have a different dynamic than turbos. Turbos are based on air flow, and density. So if you have a larger runner that flows more they spin faster and quicker. It does have to translate to an exhaust port that is efficient and can keep up with the increase of used A/F. Otherwise you just increase EGTs, for a slight HP gain. Blowers are a fixed output based on RPM, but it still equates to some type of bottleneck of the runners and combustion chamber. Again, with EGTs being the indicator. Low boost, low EGT, good HP makes a well setup car that will last. Same thing goes for an nitrous car. That **** has to get out the back out without being too hot and tearing **** up. There are several cars here local that put some sickass setups on the track and make a pass or two with catastrophic results. You guys know who you are. And they are because you can buy parts and know **** about setting up a engine and tune. Good luck running the time Mike.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WizeAss
bingo...that is my point.... a turbo car saying his heads suck doesnt mean **** compared to an NA guy saying the same thing.

they bitch at me about excuses yet produce the same ****. I just called em on it.

who the **** compared anything to a N/A setup you ******* moron. jesus christ.

i said to Viciuos i'm limimted to about 800 HP or so due to STOCK heads. what dont you ******* get about that. its not a ******* excuse its a fact.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:06 AM
10 Second Club

i said to Viciuos i'm limimted to about 800 HP or so due to STOCK heads. what dont you ******* get about that. its not a ******* excuse its a fact.

"I have stock heads"

sounded like an excuse to me.

The hypocracy around here is insane!
Old 08-01-2009, 09:11 AM
10 Second Club

The turbo will be getting finished this winter. Should be out this spring  I’ll be running on stock heads like you for a little bit.
Idiot…

i should be able to drag you on stock heads, so dont worry
So, you are on stock heads....

that is like me saying:

I have a **** converter
I have a 270cc intake port
I don't have tires
I have a baby cam
I have low bottle pressure
I am missing parts

blah blah blah...

I was only pointing out that you having stock heads on a forced induction car is a really dumb excuse to use on why your car is _____insert whatever here_______.

Just sayin.... you paged me.... not the other way around.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:19 AM
10 Second Club

I was stating that it is not like you are running NA with stock heads.... so the fact that you will have a FI car with stock heads is not that big of a deal... you are forcing air down the intake runner. Now you can increase the boost to a point were the heads not flowing create an issue... but that won't be at 7-12lbs of boost..... you should easily get to 800rwhp on stock heads. My car only makes 630-700.....
Old 08-01-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

+1, Mikey, you can only get out so much power from a casting, PERIOD you fool.

More flow/Better Velocity = More HP, PERIOD

Once again Mikey, stick to yes or no answer, do not elaborate anymore in front of people.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WizeAss
My car only makes 630-700.....
I haven't said this to you before, but if I have a $8k Longblock and a 250 shot and only managed to throw 63xrwhp down and run mid 6's I would take that pile to the edge of the earth and push it off.