Help me with AC Repair in San Antonio

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, shane doesn't know how to answer the phone...
I've been calling all morning (and will probably call a few more times today) and no answer...
fail.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've also called Lethal Performance...
Line is busy? Possible phone off the hook? Something...
Ugh... i need A/C!! lol...
Old 08-03-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
How much do they charge though? I really don't money to be paying people to do things that I could probably do myself... ya know? I want this **** to work too... but am tired of dishing out more money than I really have...
There is only one way to find out how much - and that's to call 'em. Pretty sure they won't be dodging your calls tho. PM me if you want, and if not - good luck.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Went to AZ to ask about the valve. He said they didn't have anything. Only thing was the conversion kit but it's universal. Recommended me to NAPA. Went there, he thinks I need a whole new dryer/accumulator/silver canister (everywhere I go it's got a different name).
Went across the street to an AC DELCO parts store. They checked it out, said the valve MAY come off... he showed me the new part (looks exactly like mine) for $91. I think I may just go that route. Might as well replace the whole kit and kaboodle. AZ's rent a tool program also has the vacuum pump to suck out the freon from the system. Doing this myself on wednesday, I think. Anyone want to help me? PM me... I'll buy lunch!
Old 08-04-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump.
Anyone know how to vacuum the system? I want to do this tomorrow...
Free lunch for anyone who helps!
Old 08-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

what side of town are you on? i can help on the vacume pump
Old 08-04-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by littless
what side of town are you on? i can help on the vacume pump
Over here by Sea World (potranco and 1604). Right behind sea world actually. If you're serious I would GREATLY appreciate the assistance! Have you done this before?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Teching In

are you willing to drive over by biff's, i can pump it down for you. sorry i cant do lunch but we can do it anytime after 4pm.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

are you willing to drive over by biff's, i can pump it down for you. sorry i cant do lunch but we can do it anytime after 4pm.
I've never been over there. Is it far?
So I assume you've done something like this before? Do you know what all I need to do to replace the dryer?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Teching In

yes i work for an ac company. biff's buzzby burgers is at 35 and 1604. the friday night hang out.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes i work for an ac company. biff's buzzby burgers is at 35 and 1604. the friday night hang out.
GREAT! I've heard of the friday night meets, but I usually have work, so never make it, plus it's a bit of a drive. But if you're willing to help me out, I may just suck it up and drive out there. If you're nice enough to cut me some kind of deal, I'll gladly pay for your time if you help me with all I need to do to get my A/C blowing ice cold! This summer has nearly killed me!
Old 08-04-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

did you have a UV light? the dye they usually put in the system only shows under the uv lighting. i dont think the needle is your only problem, but a full charge would keep you cold for about 6 months

you could just unsrew the needle yourself and let all of the freon out (highly illegal!). its bad for the o-zone, about like a can of the old fashioned hair spray.

Drivers Edge charges like $140 for a full drain and recharge.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
did you have a UV light? the dye they usually put in the system only shows under the uv lighting. i dont think the needle is your only problem, but a full charge would keep you cold for about 6 months

you could just unsrew the needle yourself and let all of the freon out (highly illegal!). its bad for the o-zone, about like a can of the old fashioned hair spray.

Drivers Edge charges like $140 for a full drain and recharge.
I did not have a UV light, and I was told I'd only be able to see the dye with a light. However, this wasn't the case. I noticed the dye once it dried. I've got green coming from the dryer. I don't want to recharge it and have it work for 6 months, I want it fixed. If by replacing the dryer, fixes my system, then that's what I'm willing to do. I don't think taking out the needle is all that simple. The system is pressurized isn't it? It'd blow up in my face... lol.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It'll suck if you replace the dryer, then find out other components were to blame wouldn't it?

My Camaro sits in the garage 99% of the time. I had it charged up and dye added last year. It took about 6-8 mos for it to bleed down. I had it checked today and the dye is on the compressor. I was told that the compressors in GM cars are all pressed together and commonly leak. !cheap.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

the "dryer" i call it a condenser, its whats always has condensation on it when you pop the hood. the system is pressurized so it would all come out if you loosened something.

you should still wait a few days and take it to the shop to have it checked with a UV light. if its a small leak they will be able to tell you exactly where its coming from before you go out and buy a new everything. you never know if its just overspray from when the mechanic filled it at the shop. the seal around the compressor is the most common leak around, and like the person above me said the leak will usually keep you cold for about 6-8 months and you would need another refill

that being said for some reason my car had the condenser/dryer replaced @ like 60k miles before i ever owned it. they even put a silver badge on the firewall lol
Old 08-04-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gun4hire
It'll suck if you replace the dryer, then find out other components were to blame wouldn't it?

My Camaro sits in the garage 99% of the time. I had it charged up and dye added last year. It took about 6-8 mos for it to bleed down. I had it checked today and the dye is on the compressor. I was told that the compressors in GM cars are all pressed together and commonly leak. !cheap.
It sure would suck. But, I've been checking and cant seem to find any dye anywhere else. The guy at the shop told me if the compressor had crapped out, there'd be signs of leaking oil around it. He didn't see any. I'm thinking it could just be as simple as the recharge valve. BUT... like you said, what if i replace just that, and then a year, 2 years... or 2 weeks from now, the entire dryer goes out? Might as well start fresh with a new one... right?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Teching In

you have a pm super-bat
Old 08-04-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

you have a pm super-bat
so do you sir.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
It sure would suck. But, I've been checking and cant seem to find any dye anywhere else. The guy at the shop told me if the compressor had crapped out, there'd be signs of leaking oil around it. He didn't see any. I'm thinking it could just be as simple as the recharge valve. BUT... like you said, what if i replace just that, and then a year, 2 years... or 2 weeks from now, the entire dryer goes out? Might as well start fresh with a new one... right?

not really. the compressor took like a week or two to show any leaks on my old camaro. GM compressors are known to have small leaks
Old 08-04-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
not really. the compressor took like a week or two to show any leaks on my old camaro. GM compressors are known to have small leaks
I've had the car for 2 years, and there wouldn't be oil leaking out by now? lol. The a/c hasn't ever "worked" for me. Adding coolant last year made things cold for like a couple of weeks, but that was it.

Quick Reply: Help me with AC Repair in San Antonio