I got a no front plate and a tint ticket about a week ago...dismissable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have mine mounted and i cover it with the cover and everytime i get pulled over for it i tell the officer that its there but just covered up. I also carry a screwdriver to take it off rite then and there if hes a *****. Never gotten a ticket for it. Only ones that pull me over are the troopers.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
Well I can guarantee you that putting the license plate in my windshield has NOT limited my visibility. So what would be illegal about it then?
if the law was based around "what you think" the laws would be completely different.

Sec. 547.613. RESTRICTIONS ON WINDOWS. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense that is a misdemeanor:

(1) if the person operates a motor vehicle that has an object or material that is placed on or attached to the windshield or side or rear window and that obstructs or reduces the operator's clear view;

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
That's not really the point. If you give a police officer a visible excuse to pull you over, they will. Especially if they know you/your car and have it in for you, which it sounds like is the case here.

-Mike
this post shoud be in every "no front license plate ticket, what do i do now" thread

Originally Posted by mr_montellano
man seriously the damn front plate don't look that bad and is NOT worth the bs....

ZeKe
so should this one

Originally Posted by imlooking
until the law gets ammended to specifically state that the front plate NEEDS to be on the front bumper, the cop is still going to issue a citation.

you may or may not be able to beat it, but you WILL have to take off of work and sit in court for about 3 or 4 hours "just because you wanted to push the envelope".

if you don't wanna get stopped, harassed, issued a citation and have to take off of work, just put the plate on the bumper.
oh, and this one also.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

and if you didn't like that post, i will also show you this one.

read it, love it, live it:

the misinformation in this thread is absolutely hilarious.

simple: have both plates on. if you don't, you're just giving the officer probable cause to pull you over. for some of you a simple stop for "no front lp" will lead to a warrant arrest or even a DWI. just keep the damn plate on.

here's why. first of all, it's the law:

§ 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR
REGISTRATION INSIGNIA.
(a) A person commits an offense if the
person operates on a public highway during a registration period a
passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two
license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have
been:
(1) assigned by the department for the period; or
(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the
department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the
period.

simple right !?!? "well, lets just take it off the front where it's supposed to be and place it in the window."

WRONG !!!!!! here's why:

Sec. 547.613. RESTRICTIONS ON WINDOWS. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense that is a misdemeanor:

(1) if the person operates a motor vehicle that has an object or material that is placed on or attached to the windshield or side or rear window and that obstructs or reduces the operator's clear view;

thanks for your time.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blkbird
I have mine mounted and i cover it with the cover and everytime i get pulled over for it i tell the officer that its there but just covered up. I also carry a screwdriver to take it off rite then and there if hes a *****. Never gotten a ticket for it. Only ones that pull me over are the troopers.
I had mine like that for awhile. When I got my front bumper repainted, I took off the plate. I had it in my backseat for awhile, just in case, I could throw it on my dash or something. But now, I swear Air Dam has to be the best place... No trouble yet, and I drive by a sheriff's substation every day! Passing cops going on and coming off duty. So... yeah, it's a good place.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been pulled over by a po-dunk state trooper for no front plate. I was nice, so he was nice...we chatted about my car...I told him that another trooper confirmed my airdam placement would be considered the "front"...he got down on a knee and saw it there...I didn't have my insurance card with me (although the car is well insured)...he wrote me a ticket for no insurance...I faxed the po-dunk town Judge (who answered his own phone!) a copy of my insurance...ticket dropped...no biggie.

If you are within the "gray area" of the law, you'll more than likely be ok. Its those that just refuse to comply at all or have bad attitudes who are mostly likely to be penalized.

That being said, I have only been pulled over once in the Camaro for the front plate issue and NEVER in my dark gray Trailblazer daily driver which has NO front plate at all. I plan to mount the front plate on the airdam of the TB to match the Camaro.

p.s. I never carry my ins card with me. If I'm pulled it gives the officer something to write other than the actual 'moving violation' for which he pulled me over. For him, it shows he's doing his job. For me, its the easiest/cheapest thing to get dismissed.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

if the law was based around "what you think" the laws would be completely different.

Its not like I'm placing the plate right in front of my face. Unless youre a midget, the plate in the windshield blocks NOTHING. Its not just "what I think". Its common MF sense.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

The only thing i will say is he wrote you a ticket for (no license plate) which you have! case dropped there is no ticket he can write you for not in the right place unless its under city ordinance. since he is a state tropper i would think it wont fall under any city ordinance
Old 08-05-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I asked my uncle (who is a cop) what to do about the front plate. He said get suction cups and put it at the VERY top passenger side of the windshield where the factory tint is. Cops can see it and he said he never pulls people over for it.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Got pulled over again today, same state trooper, same time, same spot(right in front of my job, I might as well not even go to work anymore, Im losing more money then Im making). Gave me the same 2 tickets... no front plate, and my tint being too dark. I thought I had till my court date to fix the problems. I got to work, and ripped the tint off and put my front plate on. I've been MF busy as hell with work(2 jobs). And moving in to my new place/cleaning my old place. This is MF ridiculous. What are the chances of me getting all 4 of these tickets dropped
Who's the officer and where was it at?
Old 08-05-2009, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bballr4567
I asked my uncle (who is a cop) what to do about the front plate. He said get suction cups and put it at the VERY top passenger side of the windshield where the factory tint is. Cops can see it and he said he never pulls people over for it.
your uncle doesn't stop people for that, but your uncle is not 12,000 police officers in the state of Texas, HAHA !!!!

for every time your uncle DOESN'T pull people over for that, there are 150 other cops that will.

remember guys, when officers pull you over it's "at their discretion".

Its not like I'm placing the plate right in front of my face. Unless youre a midget, the plate in the windshield blocks NOTHING. Its not just "what I think". Its common MF sense.
you think it blocks nothing, but a cop may interpret the law the way he wants. it's his "discretion".

see all the heartache/arguments one goes through in his personal life and on a forum because he wants to bend the law !?!?

it's very avoidable.

run the front plate on the bumper and you won't get 4 tickets in one week.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

your uncle doesn't stop people for that, but your uncle is not 12,000 police officers in the state of Texas, HAHA !!!!

for every time your uncle DOESN'T pull people over for that, there are 150 other cops that will.

remember guys, when officers pull you over it's "at their discretion".

you think it blocks nothing, but a cop may interpret the law the way he wants. it's his "discretion".

see all the heartache/arguments one goes through in his personal life and on a forum because he wants to bend the law !?!?

it's very avoidable.

run the front plate on the bumper and you won't get 4 tickets in one week.
My uncle is a cop in Texas. Thats MY location there under MY user name.

The law is the law. Law simply states the front of the vehicle as well as the back. Ive never seen a single person pulled over if they have a plate in the rear window.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:33 PM
12 Second Club

I think he means ur uncle isnt the only cop in texas....

If ur not gonna run a front plate ur better off not even putting it on the dash as it just draws attention....or just have good *** story...lol...my same story has worked 6 times..(knockin on wood)...but if u would rather not get hassled then u did the smart thing by putting it back on.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Launching!

They should get dismissed. When I got my window tint ticket, I just removed my tint and went to court, showed an officer my car and that was it. Ticket dismissed, just had to pay the 20$ court fee.

I got that ticket from a state trooper, he also gave me a warning for the dealership license plate border covering 'too much' of the word TEXAS. The NEXT day got pulled over by him AGAIN not even a mile away from the house(again). Had my windows down, but he pulled me over for the damn frame again! (I had just gotten home from work, and just got on my car and went to pick up something to eat thats no more than 3miles away form the house. So thats why it was still on.) I told him that I had just gotten home from work and just got on the car really quick to come grab something to eat. So he thought about it for like 5 seconds... and told me, "Fine, if I pull you over again for this, Im giving you a ticket".

It sucks! But those 4 tickets should be dismissed.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

My uncle is a cop in Texas.
i know. all i was saying is that "your uncle may not stop someone for that, but another cop may".

The law is the law. Law simply states the front of the vehicle as well as the back.
it sure does. eventhough it doesn't clearly say "front bumper" the state of Texas WANTS it to be on the front bumper.

if it's not on the front bumper be prepared to see another 328 threads started in this section about front plates.

Ive never seen a single person pulled over if they have a plate in the rear window.
i don't remember the last time i've ever seen a plate mounted on the back of a windshield.

and if someone has a plate mounted on their back windshield, that person deserves to get pulled over.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

You must not live near a farming area. Plenty of farm trucks have moved it to inside the truck because it gets beat the hell up with trailers.

If the state of Texas wanted it on the front bumper it would say that. They have tried to reword the law as recently as a few years ago and it always gets shot down. Its at the officers discretion if you get pulled over. If they can see it, they probably wont pull you over. However, if its missing altogether, expect to get pulled over. Ive had it happen to me even though my car doesnt have a front plate and when Im visiting. In fact, happened twice when I was down there for the 4th of July.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

You must not live near a farming area. Plenty of farm trucks have moved it to inside the truck because it gets beat the hell up with trailers.
how does a FRONT plate get beat up by trailers?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chargerR/T
how does a FRONT plate get beat up by trailers?
Read>>> You

Just playing. Most farm trucks move the REAR plate to the rear window to save it from getting ate up.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:30 PM
12 Second Club

how are yall mounting the license plate to the air damn? Zip ties?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Formulals187
how are yall mounting the license plate to the air damn? Zip ties?
I used 2 itty bitty screws. Drilled them into the air dam. Left a little lip underneath so if it dragged, it wouldnt screw up the plate.
Also, guys... I remember reading on another forum of a member attaching his plate to his passenger side sun visor (given you guys still have them-I'm deleting mine when I redo my headliner). You see a cop, pop the visor down, or just have it down, it cant possibly block your vision, because it's not on the windshield.
If you keep getting pulled over, quit crying and put the plate on the front. If you're not getting pulled over, then gratz, and quit rubbing it in the face of those who aren't so lucky. Lol.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

You must not live near a farming area.
not much "farming area" within 15 miles of downtown Houston.

now, if it was a small town i would see someone doing that. but for every 1 farmer that has relocated their rear plate to their back window there are 3,000 people that are running no front plate at all.

If the state of Texas wanted it on the front bumper it would say that. They have tried to reword the law as recently as a few years ago and it always gets shot down.
probably because they are having too much fun pulling people over for not having it on and letting the individual court/judge hand out the dscipline.

Its at the officers discretion if you get pulled over. If they can see it, they probably wont pull you over. However, if its missing altogether, expect to get pulled over.
i agree. but just remember the statute that i listed previously about the "restriction on widows".

like i've said for the 11,000th time: ITS ALWAYS THE SAFE BET THAT YOU WON'T GET PULLED OVER IF YOU JUST PUT THE DAMN PLATE UP FRONT.

if you don't, BE EXPECTED TO GET PULLED OVER.

how many times have you gotten pulled over FOR HAVING a license plate on your front bumper !?!? none right !?!?

and how many times have you heard someone GETTING PULLED OVER for NOT having a license plate on the front bumper.

it's common sense people.

Quick Reply: I got a no front plate and a tint ticket about a week ago...dismissable?