I just bought a new slim line PS3

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ps3 is like a Trans am/ Camaro, and xbox is like a Mustang there will always be a dispute between owners on which one is better. I myself am a Ps3 guy and don't think the xbox can compare. That being said haha.

If your into jet games like the old ace combats, my girlfriend bought me Tom Clancys "Hawx" for steak and bj day! Its a badass game! Actually my buddy borrowed it, and he loves it so much I still haven't gotten it back. Little Big Planet it a badass game too I like to call it Super Mario Brothers on steroids haha.

Last edited by PSSYCO; 08-31-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Teching In

I agree with the statements about the 360 being an all around better console if you're a game fanatic and enjoy social gaming. I love getting on after work and just goofing off in Halo3 on Xbox Live. I plan on getting GAW soon, too, so that I can join that frenzy (all my friends LOVE that game!). The price of Xbox live is insanely cheap; even 10 yr olds who just get a weekly chore allowance can afford it, and for the price you get SO much! MissTransAm is my gamertag if anyone wants to look me up All in all, I think the Xbox, even with it's famous RROD and other problems (they have warranties, like many have said! I've RROD'd once and my new one has never had any issues), is a great investment.

I plan on buying one of the new PS3slims as well since they're finally affordable for us normal folks; but I imagine I will only use it for blu ray and for the few PS3-only titles that I like and are waiting for, like God Of War 3 (or is that going to be multi platform? Anyone know?). The ps3 will probably collect dust for the most part, though. I know Best Buy has them and I believe Game Stop..I'm there so much I should probably know this by now lol!
Old 09-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PSSYCO
Ps3 is like a Trans am/ Camaro, and xbox is like a Mustang there will always be a dispute between owners on which one is better.

Aw, c'mon now, we know there is no dispute on which is best!

Old 09-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MissTransAm

Girl!! where have you been? Haha Jk
Old 09-01-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am probably one of the few that have never encountered a fatal RROD on my Xbox. (Halo3 special edition)
Old 09-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ps3 is like a Trans am/ Camaro, and xbox is like a Mustang there will always be a dispute between owners on which one is better. I myself am a Ps3 guy and don't think the xbox can compare. That being said haha.

If your into jet games like the old ace combats, my girlfriend bought me Tom Clancys "Hawx" for steak and bj day! Its a badass game! Actually my buddy borrowed it, and he loves it so much I still haven't gotten it back. Little Big Planet it a badass game too I like to call it Super Mario Brothers on steroids haha.
I don't mean to start a console war (I tend to on mostly every forum I visit), but do you care to back up your statements? Besides the very few good exclusives the PS3 has, the XBOX 360 (even with it's 50 something percent failure rate) still outsells the PS3.

You might say that the PS3 has blu-ray, but what good is extra disc usage when you don't have the RAM to play everything on it?

Originally Posted by MissTransAm
See, even SHE knows more about consoles

Originally Posted by gun4hire
I am probably one of the few that have never encountered a fatal RROD on my Xbox. (Halo3 special edition)
I have NEVER had any problems with my Elite either. I've had it since the Elites launched. That's considering I play it about 60+ hours a week, not including time spent on when I'm asleep in a closed shelf.

Last edited by westtexasbuff; 09-01-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff

I have NEVER had any problems with my Elite either. I've had it since the Elites launched. That's considering I play it about 60+ hours a week, not including time spent on when I'm asleep in a closed shelf.
Same. I have a pro, sadly, but my former roomie had an Elite and never had any issues. My gf also has an Elite, got it when it was first released- the Halo edition, and never had issues.

But hey, to each their, own, I guess. I'm still baffled why straight men drive mustangs, or why people hashed out all that extra money for a PS3 before the price drop, but I guess one person's trash is another person's treasure (No, I'm not calling PS3's trash. Just saying that people tend to be on one side or the other about them!)
Old 09-02-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll be buying a PS3 soon
Old 09-02-2009, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

If your into jet games like the old ace combats, my girlfriend bought me Tom Clancys "Hawx" for steak and bj day! Its a badass game! Actually my buddy borrowed it, and he loves it so much I still haven't gotten it back.
Yeah that game is badass! Don't expect to get it back anytime soon
Old 09-02-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I only play Call of Duty 4

Find me, my sn is Capt_Ridiculous

type LS1tech in the message box if you want me to accept the friend request.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the game selection is much better on the xbox plus there is netflix. im a big movie person so thats the end all for me. also i dont mind paying the extra 30 a year for xbox live to guarantee a lag free experience. my username is twitchtwice online as well, i mostly play halo 3 (which is like once or twice a month) and will be playing forza 3 and CODMW2 when that comes out.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:13 AM
Teching In

I don't mean to start a console war (I tend to on mostly every forum I visit), but do you care to back up your statements? Besides the very few good exclusives the PS3 has, the XBOX 360 (even with it's 50 something percent failure rate) still outsells the PS3.

You might say that the PS3 has blu-ray, but what good is extra disc usage when you don't have the RAM to play everything on it?
If you start a dispute on every site you visit then try staying off the internet and you won't have that problem. No, I do care to back up my statement cause I don't care to be involved in one of your little internet wars. I'm not going to help you get off. Oh, and I think she was talking about the car dispute.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I've got two of both the 360 and the PS3. Both my 360's are up and running but only one of my PS3's work. I had the RROD on my oldest 360 (an old "Pro" model) but I did the !xclamp mod and now she runs perfectly. My Elite has never even had an issue so I'm happy with it. My first PS3 worked fine for a little over a year and then the blue ray drive went out, found out it was some chips in the 40gb models that went screwy so I am still having to jump through hoops to get it to work. I have another blue ray drive mother board, now I have to reball the BGA chip and install it and it should be back up and going. My other PS3 I got with the extended warranty to avoid such problems in the future. I'll probably get the new slimmer one soon and move the working PS3 to the bedroom and boot the broken one for parts.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

ive had the halo edition from day 1 and have had no problems yet and me and my GFs have put alot of game time from halo 1,2 & 3 to Rock band world tour
Old 09-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Banned

If you start a dispute on every site you visit then try staying off the internet and you won't have that problem. No, I do care to back up my statement cause I don't care to be involved in one of your little internet wars. I'm not going to help you get off. Oh, and I think she was talking about the car dispute.
LULZ, when did I say starting console wars on mostly every site I visit (including my own) is a problem? I love arguing with PS3 fanboys, because most don't even know what the difference between blu-ray and DVDs are.

"ZOMG, Blu-Ray! Now PS3 is better than 360 ::drools::" LOL get real.

- Better and more exclusives
- Double the RAM = faster loading times, and smoother FPS (Frames Per Second).
- XBL currently holds the world record for online gaming.
- Shall I continue?

By the time developers figure out how to use the resources the PS3 offers, the XBOX 720 will be released.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Believe me, there are a number of 360 bandwagon boys that have no idea about the technology they are using.

To dispute the momory both systems have the same amount of "Physical" memory, (xbox shared 512 ddr3 (PS3 256 MB xdram and 256 DDR3 dedicated video ram which ='s 512 MB of physical memory for both) . At 3.2 ghz, 256 MB of xdram is 4 times as fast as 256 MB ddr3 which is clocked at 700 megs. At this speed 256 is more than enough, adding more would have not been needed and would have driven up the price. With these speeds xdram is 4 times faster than ddr3 so 256 megs of xdram can accomplish alot more processes than 512 megs of ddr3 per second. The problem with xdram is that the coders have to work to optimize this speed and its interface with the core processor; but developers are begginning to get it right. So physically they have the same amount of memory, ideologically the memory is not in any way similar when considering the memory processing speed. In addition the core processor is begginning to set foot into the server/data processing market so support is spreading. From what I can see in projection to the future, the only processor that will be able to utilize xdram is in fact the Core processor. The memory clock speed is just to fast for your standard cpu.

Yes the graphics processor is more powerful (due to simplicity) than the Nvidia rsx setup in the PS3. This is b/c most developers are not utilizing the potential of the core processor for 3d/floating point rendering in conjuction with the video card. However, we are starting to see games which utilize this and it is showing as it did in killzone 2. The 360, although accomplishing what it was meant to, is pretty much fully utilized in most cases. Especially when considering lag issues in GOW2 (last game I bought).

I do miss xbox live, but I was begginning to get tired of the lag, dropped hosts, and the amount of people I had to mute. First game I played online for the PS3 was Resistance 2which was a 64 player brawl with no lag. That's unheard of on 360.

If you talk about better exclusives, sony is starting to pass up the 360. Left 4 Dead 2 is rummored to be on PS3, so exclusives are deminnishing. If I see another sub par Halo title I'm gonna hurl. Halo 3 was only good for live and has lost its popularity to Call of Duty, a multi platform release.

If you sleep better coming up with reasons the PS3 sucks, more power to you. But as a EE for the past 6 years dealing with circuit board layout, I know my electronics and what the terms actually equate to. Ram does not always equal frame rate. My ati 4870 in my pc has 512 megs of onboard memory, while my old pc had a nvidia 7900 gtx with 512 dedicated video memory. Both with 512 MB the ati 4870 doubles my the frame rates at most relolutions. This is also in a machine that was just a vid card swap. The PS3 is on the edge of the market, and now that a few developers are begginning to utilize this it is showing. The PS3 is a 10 year console, and the 360 is riding its wave down, 720 will probably be released in 2011. Personaly I don't care, but it just seems that most of the people who judge the PS3's have never even played one.

What sold me on the PS3 was:
1. I was getting bored with my 360, plus mine kept breaking.
2. dropped hosts in xbox live, local hosting sucks.
3. all the 360 exclusives I could buy on PC
4. I wanted to play the sony exclusives after watching them online and can only play them on PS3
5. I could get a new console and watch 1080p movies on my new 55 inch LED 120hz tv aka blue ray video.

On a final note, I do mis my 360, but I just don't think I need 2 consoles. Plus I wanted to give a little education from a "bandwagon" PS3 owner; and yes, I do know the difference between blue ray and dvd.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by redz_02
The 360, although accomplishing what it was meant to, is pretty much fully utilized in most cases. Especially when considering lag issues in GOW2 (last game I bought).
Epic had released an article (just after the release of GOW2) saying it was a problem with their servers, not XBL, and has been fixed since then. Lagful or not, I have not seen a game as beautiful as GOW2, on the 360 or PS3. You can't get much better than the UE.

I never have had lag issues on XBL, unless the host just has a **** connection.

I do miss xbox live, but I was begginning to get tired of the lag, dropped hosts, and the amount of people I had to mute. First game I played online for the PS3 was Resistance 2which was a 64 player brawl with no lag. That's unheard of on 360.
That's because there are no games on the 360 that have 64 player "brawl" gameplay LULZ. The only one close to 64 that I can recall from the top of my head is Battlefield 2, and when I played it, it was not laggy at all.

If you talk about better exclusives, sony is starting to pass up the 360. Left 4 Dead 2 is rummored to be on PS3, so exclusives are deminnishing. If I see another sub par Halo title I'm gonna hurl. Halo 3 was only good for live and has lost its popularity to Call of Duty, a multi platform release.
LULZ! That's why Halo 3 is still the all time most selling game... evar?

You complain about Halo being "only good for live" when L4D is only good online itself. Play it offline before you praise it being so good and getting hard because it's "RUMORED" it's going on the PS3 as well. I highly doubt it because Valve has always been XBOX 360 exlcusive, a la TF:2, and Portal.

The PS3 is a 10 year console, and the 360 is riding its wave down, 720 will probably be released in 2011. Personaly I don't care, but it just seems that most of the people who judge the PS3's have never even played one.
"riding its wave down"??? Have you not seen the exclusives coming out this year? LOL

If you think the PS3 is a 10 year console, then you're delusional. As good as the PS2 was, it lasted 8 years.

And FYI, I do actually have a PS3 as well, but it just collects dust. Cause.... that's pretty much the only thing it's good for, and setting back release dates to multi-platform games.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Yeah i play Call of duty a lot
If anyone plays on here add me
Name is
Na_stY
Old 09-04-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Halo3 is not the most sold game "evar", it had the highest kickoff sales. Think it has sold roughly 9 million copies, which is great. There are still 3 PS2 titles above it, and the Wii is smoking both of them.

You still don't state why it can't be a 10 year console:
1. the price came down with a newer refined console
2. the technology is adequate
3. the titles are being released

Simply stating it won't isn't viable.

sales as of now are 23.8 million ps3's and 30.2 million xbox's, from june. Which is a given since the 360 was released a year in advance. This isn't even including PS3's price drop.

As for the 64 man brawl, I like to have the option of it, and it shows that running dedicated servers vastly surpases local hosts, aka no dropped games if someone quits. Or waiting for 15-20 minutes to build a new host.

I guess riding its wave down was a wrong choice of words, I meant to say it is stablizing while the ps3 sales are improving.

If you hate PS3's so much, I highly doubt you have one collecting dust, let alone even considered buying one. I used to feel the same way until my g/f bought me one. YEs it was to play Little Big Planet which I still play. Until 360 comes out with something that isn't they're typical FPS titles (GOW and Fable 2 were the reason I kept my 360 as long as i did), I'll enjoy my PS3 while I can play the 360 "exclusives" on my pc.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

LULZ! That's why Halo 3 is still the all time most selling game... evar?
What the **** is lulz??? You sound like the biggest douche bag evar