My 10 bolt sux, what now

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 12:53 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tex7387
Kinda contradicting yourself here aren't you? You openly admit that the 9" is stronger, and that 12 bolts are already capable of holding 7 sec passes. Then you turn around and bash the 9" because it may not handle "a **** ton of power". This guy is talking about a H/C/I street car, not a ****** 7 second car, so the 9" should be more than adequate for his use. I never said the 9" was the best or strongest, but its better than the 12 bolt, and for what he is wanting it for, he should have no issues with it. If you dislike ford thats fine (im not the biggest ford fan) but don't bash a quality rearend just because its a ford design.
Incorrect, i am saying the strength of a 9 inch is negligible in comparison when it comes to Mores/Strange.

Stock for stock from the maker, the 9 inch is allot better, but not aftermarket.

Where the hell did i say it will not handle a allot of power? Not to mention, the 9 inch eats up more power tot he back tires. Also, it is not that i dislike fords, but i do not like mixing parts without a solid reason. If you like swapping carriers AND you actually do it, then i can understand, but i hate seeing people act like a 12 bolt is only a tiny bit better than a 7.5 10 bolt.

Z
Old 09-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Incorrect, i am saying the strength of a 9 inch is negligible in comparison when it comes to Mores/Strange.

Stock for stock from the maker, the 9 inch is allot better, but not aftermarket.

Where the hell did i say it will not handle a allot of power? Not to mention, the 9 inch eats up more power tot he back tires. Also, it is not that i dislike fords, but i do not like mixing parts without a solid reason. If you like swapping carriers AND you actually do it, then i can understand, but i hate seeing people act like a 12 bolt is only a tiny bit better than a 7.5 10 bolt.

Z
Ok i'm not here to get into a pissing contest, but you actually alluded to the fact that if this guy wanted to make "a **** ton of power" that the 9" wouldn't handle it. This right after you talk about the fact that the 12 bolt can handle seven second pass power and that the 9" is marginally stronger. I don't really know of any H/C/I LS1's that are streetable and running anywher close to 7's do you? If you do then I stand corrected, however since I seriously doubt you do, the 9" will be more than adequate.

Also I never said the 12 bolt was weak, I just said the 9" was stronger. I'm sure in aftermarket form both rearend should handle a H/C/I LS1 car, but considering in aftermarket form both are comparably priced, the "negligible" added strength plus added ease of carrier swap make the 9" a better choice for the 6 speed cars. The drivetrain loss of the 9" is also negligble for the added peace of mind. (My car made 351rwhp with a 9" 4:10 gears and full exhust and tune....w/ 100,000+ miles, which I consider not too shabby) As for mixing and matching parts, the aftermarket design negates this since its been engineered to fit accordingly, you aren't really trying to rig up a real "ford" rearend under a chevy.

Look I have nothing against the 12 bolt, my father has one in his 468 ci chevelle and it holds fine, im just saying that since they will both cost about the same considering he gets one through strange or moser that the 9" is the better option due to the factors I listed above. If you prefer the 12 bolt thats fine, I prefer the 9" and we can just leave it at that.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:44 AM
In-Zane Moderator

I understand what you are saying, but you need glasses if you read i said the 9 inch was weak. I even admit that the 12 bolt is not quite as strong but the dana 60 is tronger than both.

You would be fine. LMR has run 7s on a god damn 12 bolt last i checked, so for a bolt on or whatever, a 9 inch is not much stronger than a 12 bolt.

Bull ****, if someone is serious about a **** ton of power, whoever thinks the 9 inch is the best/strongest, you clearly dont know about a dana 60. I will never pit some ford **** in my car when there is clearly a stronger option. Unless you use the excuse,"I can swap carriers in 30 minutes..." Every ****** i know that sais that ****...never changes the gears out.

Anyway, there are options, spending $ on a 10 bolt can be made to handle power better, but it is in the end pissing in the wind.

There is a Dana 44 that was available for the 3rd gen back in the day. I just sold one, it is a 10 bolt, but it is a 8.5 ring gear, not a ***** 7.5. If you did find one, you could use spacers to retain your wheels, but the brakes are different.

Hold off with a 10 bolt from a LT1 car, they have clutches for the posi, the LS1 torrison seams to break allot more since fear design bangs around in the rear housing. That is just something i personally noticed.

Forget the 4.10s in the 10 bolt as the teeth are so thin the ring and pinion love to break.

From there, save till you can find a deal on a moser or equivalent 12 bolt or even the ford part if you must.

Z
Old 09-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Bull ****, if someone is serious about a **** ton of power, whoever thinks the 9 inch is the best/strongest, you clearly dont know about a dana 60.
Z
Here is the quote I was talking about. Also notice I never said the 9" was the best/strongest, I simply said that between the 9" and 12 bolt, which were the two options the OP was tossing around, the 9" was the better choice. There is no arguing the dana 60 is stronger, but it costs even more, and would simply be beyond overkill for what the OP wants to do.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Why is there aversion to using the Dana S60? Just a question as I will be in the market for a new rear end soon.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pwebbz28
Do NOT get a moser!! I have one and wish i had gone with a strange. The bolts for the torque arm will not stay tight. I have tried everything short of tack welding them in place. FWIW my 12 bolt has stood up to 6k+ clutch dumps

Stay away from RPM as well. Call Jason at TDP.
Never had probs with my Moser 9", sounds like u have some issues, have installed many moser 9" in fbody's.... I sell both Moser and strange, both Great products, dont hate!

And it what sounds might be ur problem is u didnt grind the case down for the torque arm to sit completely flat in mounting position, had to do it many times... And mine is moser housing and axle package.. With the strange "s" series case!!!

Last edited by n20kid; 09-04-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

jsut for the record guys lol, i called jason at TDP

2500-3000 out door price for a 12 bolt strange

600 for a complete rebuild of the 10 bolt including new posi and bearings
800 for ^^ plus GM 410s

I dont go to the track any more, so im thinking about just rebuilding it. For i have no fuckign money!!

EDIT::: do you ahve to get a Tune, or a reprogram after a gear swap? im thinking no because its doesnt affect technicaly, how the wheels spin right? its not like bigger tires where the speedo would be fucked. or am i wrong?

Last edited by 02ws666; 09-04-2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: im retarded
Old 09-04-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02ws666
jsut for the record guys lol, i called jason at TDP

2500-3000 out door price for a 12 bolt strange

600 for a complete rebuild of the 10 bolt including new posi and bearings
800 for ^^ plus GM 410s

I dont go to the track any more, so im thinking about just rebuilding it. For i have no fuckign money!!

EDIT::: do you ahve to get a Tune, or a reprogram after a gear swap? im thinking no because its doesnt affect technicaly, how the wheels spin right? its not like bigger tires where the speedo would be fucked. or am i wrong?
Your speedometer will be off by maybe 20 or so miles. You dont HAVE to get it fixed but it only takes a few minutes to go somewhere and get your speedometer recalibrated so why not do it.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i ugess my question would be why is it off? i cant understand the tech reason why it would be. all its doing is making you accelerate faster?? arnt the speed sensors on the wheels themselves? so if the wheel is goign 20mph, what woudl the gear ratio have to do with it? god many im just an idiot?
how much wuld a shop charge to recalibrate the speedo?
Old 09-04-2009, 03:57 PM
In-Zane Moderator

the speed sensor is in the transmission, it is adjusted to the rear gear in the computer, so you can change it with tuning software.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:59 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by Tex7387
Here is the quote I was talking about. Also notice I never said the 9" was the best/strongest, I simply said that between the 9" and 12 bolt, which were the two options the OP was tossing around, the 9" was the better choice. There is no arguing the dana 60 is stronger, but it costs even more, and would simply be beyond overkill for what the OP wants to do.
Exactly, and i never said the 9 inch was weak.

I just hate people acting like the 12 bolt is not worth ****.

At least the 12 bolts axles are the same length
Old 09-04-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

Wasn't there a guy making Ford 8.8's to fit for less than the usuall 12-bolt/9-inch? Can somebody PM me?

Vernon
Old 09-04-2009, 05:54 PM
In-Zane Moderator

I have seen them custom fit for a third gen. But what a ****** waste when you can make a 8.5 from a 2nd gen fit since it is the IDENTICAL length of a third gen rear. But that is just me.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

man lol dont do it. forget the 10bolt. just save some cash and go with your other choices. you can search for a cheap 12 dana or 9 inch and other choices from the internet.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:15 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
Why is there aversion to using the Dana S60? Just a question as I will be in the market for a new rear end soon.
It is expensive and heavy, and unless you are pushing 800RWHP and dumping the clutch at 7K RPM it is a lot of overkill.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why does everyone think the Dana 60 is stronger? I am curious what the answer will be here.

It may very well be, but considering there are more drag cars running a 9" than any other, I would say that is a pretty good assessment of how much power it can handle.

I don't care either way, but If I had it to do over again, I would go with the 9" package from Midwest. The combination of price, strength, and weight can't be beat.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:27 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Well, the D60 has a bigger ring gear and just everything is bigger. Just makes it stronger. I just like the excuse everyone used with a 9 inch,"I can swap carriers in 30 minutes if i want to change gears at the track..."

I still dont know anyone with more than one carrier, so clearly it is a BS excuse that makes them feel better about having a ford part in their ride i guess. If that is what you like, fine, but a 12 bolt using less power to the ground, lighter and axles that are equal length all make the decision for me to use the 12 bolt, since it is a GM derived part anyway.

Or to hell with it, lets go with a GM 14 bolt, then what?
Old 09-08-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

having it towed to Jason at TDP today. Was going to continue to limp it, but it got worse this weekend. I know everyone is going to call me stupid, but im getting it rebuild with 410 gears. I dont have money, and this is my daily driver and i am only 20 yrs old. so i cant just save up and get one in 4 months. This will have to do. Jason backs his work with a 1 year warranty so thats no biggie. I wont take it to the track tho thats for sure
Old 09-08-2009, 01:03 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Do 3.42, 3.73 if you must. The teeth are just too thin, unless you think it will be cool to break it again so soon.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

stick with 3.73 at best. if its just a dd. no need for 4.10 imo for the street car that never really sees the track or competes on the regular