Other tire shops beside Discount Tire (Houston Area)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Other tire shops beside Discount Tire (Houston Area)

In the process of switching tires. Discount quoted me 30 per tire includes balancing. I know a lot of us on here by tires from other members including myself but that's about 120 for 4. Probably uses up the money you saved from buying from a member on here. I know they are the best and I have used them in the past, but are there any other decent shops that don't rip tire beads? The only time I used a shop on the side of the street that's what happened.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Junkie

I sometimes use Sams Club... I know people are going to talk down on them. But there machines are actually pretty nice from what I've seen. And its only $9 per tire. I don't ever go to discount, they are MF expensive.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

how many tires are you switching just two? i work at discount in pearland and could possibly hook you up for very very little if not free...
Old 09-30-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

I hate discount. They don't know how to treat a nice set of rims. Hmm, lets hammer on weights to the face of a chrome rim after being specifically told to use the stick on type.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my own balancer and tire machine combo we bought of ebay (me and my friend ) , but your not near me , Maybe you could barter with some one in the surrounding area.

Last edited by jaysan; 09-30-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike2kZ
I hate discount. They don't know how to treat a nice set of rims. Hmm, lets hammer on weights to the face of a chrome rim after being specifically told to use the stick on type.
haha yeah well I'm not gonna lie there are a lot of techs there that don't understand our cars n mentality but if their is a lip on the outside you should use those weights but I don't not on my car or truck cause they do look like shat but I'm just sayin at my store we have a machine that doesn't even touch the rim to take off the tire n 3 pretty much brand new balancers... I wouldn't take it out on the whole company cause of one bad expierences cause ntb wal marts techs have no skills n not as many tools as we do...
Old 09-30-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh moral of that story we def know what we're doing, it gets hectic a lot cause of the amount of customers we have n all the work yeah we get brain farts but you know what if we **** up we fix the prob, no hassles about it, just don't be a douche about it...
Old 09-30-2009, 03:12 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Law- You can call over to Wholesale tire and wheel. Ask for Cory Wheat and see what kind of deal he'll work out for ya. That's all they do there. It's pure profit since it's labor only and I'd bet he'd be more than happy to have your busines and be fair on the price.

FWIW- The Discount tire in Deer Park cracked one of my 17" 10 spoke SS wheels yesterday and the manager told me he was not responsible for the damage. I agree we all make mistakes now and then, but you need to take responsibility for your your errors IMO. I'll never use Discount tire again. They charged my son $65.00 to swap tires from 2 10 spokes to 2 five spoke rims and balance them. They would have made out better by finding me another wheel and taking responsibility for the damage. I had a buddy that worked there for a while and he did all my tire work. I never had a problem.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:31 PM
LS7 Member

Discount was nice enough to put crow bar marks on the inside edge of my rims while putting on my new tires. I also took a tire in for a patch (nail) not only did they get the patch wrong (it still leaks after two attempts), but they fucked the lip of the rim up all the way around. They were good enough to replace the rim, but I've had enough of them mistreating my **** and wasting my time. I will go elsewhere in the future.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by UTEvo8
Discount was nice enough to put crow bar marks on the inside edge of my rims while putting on my new tires. I also took a tire in for a patch (nail) not only did they get the patch wrong (it still leaks after two attempts), but they fucked the lip of the rim up all the way around. They were good enough to replace the rim, but I've had enough of them mistreating my **** and wasting my time. I will go elsewhere in the future.
That's why they charge so much cause the y have to pay for all those damaged wheels
Old 09-30-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Angry

Same happend to me. They f**ked up each one of my Gorilla Locks on car. I drove off, my tires were balanced like ****. Had to argue with them about getting them to replace wheel locks.

The last time, 1 month ago. I got tires put on, once again were balanced for ****. Went back to get them rebalanced, looked like a gorilla with a steel hammer went to work on the rim trying to put on the weights. Once again had to argue with them about getting my damn wheel replaced.

Next time I will just buy from tirerack and go somewhere else to get them balanced.

.......and this trying to sell the f**king tire warranty. After the 3rd time saying no, I was like "MOTHERF**KER, I been driving for 10 years. I have never had to replace a damaged tire. Its useless to me, I will gladly buy a new tire if I ever have to."
Old 09-30-2009, 10:03 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

i flipped out at an NTB when one of my center caps turned out missing. I would make a huge scene if ANYONE jacked up my rims.

That being said, i use Discount for their waranty. All you gotta do is throw a couple nails in your DR's and get new ones for $30!! lol
Old 10-01-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

damn, well it sounds like yall have had some shitty expierences there... cant say anything against that except like i said earlier some of those guys in there dont know how to work on our cars... but i guarentee you that i would not **** up your rim or tire, i just like to see yall's cars when yall come up here... but i def. would not recomend NTB or wal-mart, we get all of their **** ups... but GL in gettin whatever you need done oh fyi if the store looks old n the balancers look old then they prob. are and dont balance as easy...
Old 10-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
Law- You can call over to Wholesale tire and wheel. Ask for Cory Wheat and see what kind of deal he'll work out for ya. That's all they do there. It's pure profit since it's labor only and I'd bet he'd be more than happy to have your busines and be fair on the price.

FWIW- The Discount tire in Deer Park cracked one of my 17" 10 spoke SS wheels yesterday and the manager told me he was not responsible for the damage. I agree we all make mistakes now and then, but you need to take responsibility for your your errors IMO. I'll never use Discount tire again. They charged my son $65.00 to swap tires from 2 10 spokes to 2 five spoke rims and balance them. They would have made out better by finding me another wheel and taking responsibility for the damage. I had a buddy that worked there for a while and he did all my tire work. I never had a problem.
how exactly did they crack one of your rims in the store ?? It takes a hell of an impact to actually crack a wheel, ive worked for discount tire for 6 years and have never seen anything in the store that would crack a wheel.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
but i def. would not recomend NTB or wal-mart, we get all of their **** ups...
That's definatly the truth if yall saw some of the things they do a little ghetto tire shops you would probaly never set foot in one again.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

last time i went to discount they mounted my tire like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M0GNLvPmAg
Old 10-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK #07
last time i went to discount they mounted my tire like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M0GNLvPmAg
i highly doubt that
Old 10-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Teching In

I worked for Discount for a few years, now I work for Sears..........I still go to Discount! The warranty is awesome, and the price isn't any higher than anywhere else ( thats worth a ****! ) Just my 2 cents
Old 10-06-2009, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
damn, well it sounds like yall have had some shitty expierences there... cant say anything against that except like i said earlier some of those guys in there dont know how to work on our cars... but i guarentee you that i would not **** up your rim or tire, i just like to see yall's cars when yall come up here... but i def. would not recomend NTB or wal-mart, we get all of their **** ups... but GL in gettin whatever you need done oh fyi if the store looks old n the balancers look old then they prob. are and dont balance as easy...
what machines do yall use to balance?
Old 10-06-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1n00b
what machines do yall use to balance?
hunter 2400's i think... iunno something like that, one is a roadforce one which we never really use it but we have it... and the other two are the newer ones that are easier and more sensative to vibrations... iunno the exact models lemme search n see if i can find the exact ones... do you work at a dtc?

Quick Reply: Other tire shops beside Discount Tire (Houston Area)