Anyone know WHY we have seatbelt laws?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 08:08 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with the insurance thing. It's also to protect you from you.

Hell, people can't even pump their own gas in New Jersey. I've been to New Jersey and I agree with that law.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Insurance and the protection of children. If loser parents think they might get a $200 ticket, they might just be inclined to buckle up their kids.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The logic has multiple points.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

its similar as to why the drinking age is 21. the federal gov't grants funds to states that meet certain requirements. it creates a defacto federal drinking age since no state will change their drinking age to 18 because they'll lose the funding.

as far as the 'what you do with your own body is your own choice, not the governments', i agree 100%. however, you will notice we have some contradictions in the TX laws...
-you have to wear a seatbelt inside a car, but not in the back of a pickup truck
-you have to wear a seatbelt inside a car, but no motorcycle helmet law
-you choosing to wear a seatbelt only directly affects your life (and by that i mean no one else is in physical jeopardy besides you) and it is mandatory to wear one. Smoking cigarettes in public businesses affects everyone around you, but there is no prohibition against it (at the state level).

yes, except in rare cases, it is indisputable that seat belts save lives. I think you are an idiot if you dont wear one. but i also believe that it should be YOUR choice, and not the governments mandate.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
-you choosing to wear a seatbelt only directly affects your life (and by that i mean no one else is in physical jeopardy besides you) and it is mandatory to wear one. Smoking cigarettes in public businesses affects everyone around you, but there is no prohibition against it (at the state level).
To all the people saying this above, you are WRONG.

If you are sitting in the back seat of a car and not wearing a seat belt, where are you going to go if you get into a head-on collision? Right into the back seat of the driver, breaking the drivers seat, slamming him/her into the steering wheel/dashboard possibly killing the driver.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Banned

Naturally, its a income generator but seat belts do serve a purpose. I use to hate wearing a seat belt but as I have grown older, its just 2nd nature to put mine on. There is very little down side to wearing one versus not wearing one.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kenp
Insurance companies lobby for these laws to reduce injuries and try to wiggle out of paying or reduce their liability if you are not wearing a seat belt at the time an accident/injury occurs.
The OP's question is why it is law. The above is the answer. Why you should wear them is another question, don't get confused sheeple.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by quicksilver383
The OP's question is why it is law. The above is the answer. Why you should wear them is another question, don't get confused sheeple.
That's exactly right. Everything I've heard so far makes alot of sense. It's definately indisputable that wearing it increases safety, there's no arguement there.

As to the question why things like drinking under 21 or smoking pot, and why those are illegal... please dont say stupid stuff just to include your self in the discussion. To answer the question though, I would think: to help protect others from those who choose to engage in drinking or smoking (thus drinking and driving even after 21yo is illegal). That point has nothing to do with why any given individual driver is being legally obligated to wear a seatbelt.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
inertia>you
That's the way I see it. Inertia is a bitch.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

If we didn't make people put on their seat belts... they would be stuck with that annoying little seat belt icon reminder light on our dash flashing at us for eternity.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS69TA
That's the way I see it. Inertia is a bitch.
How dare you! It's one of the two inherent properties of matter!
Old 10-22-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by quicksilver383
...that's because they don't ******* listen....or in this case read...
Old 10-22-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Actually is quite an interesting story dating back to early muscle cars. In those days cars were not required to have them and the young kids had more access to powerful, heavy vehicles. Suddenly it started...more and more people flying through ER across the country with different kinds of trauma, from mild to severely crippled to dead. Medical costs started escalating, the government was paying too much and something needed to be done....enter the seat belt and a new law.. You really think they wanted you or your family safer? **** no...they wanted to spend less!
Old 10-22-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thesource
Naturally, its a income generator but seat belts do serve a purpose. I use to hate wearing a seat belt but as I have grown older, its just 2nd nature to put mine on. There is very little down side to wearing one versus not wearing one.

I call

there are rare situations (like mine) where wearing your seatbelt can be fatal. however, most of the time it will prevent you from going for a nice flight through the windshield
Old 10-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
If we didn't make people put on their seat belts... they would be stuck with that annoying little seat belt icon reminder light on our dash flashing at us for eternity.
Thats definately the best reason so far, hahah.

Well alot of those ideas makes sense, insurance companies, money making, etc. If nothing else the law probably is in the best interest of the people. But no matter how you cut it, drivers risk getting fined based on the choice to protect themselves. I think we're all agreed that wearing a seatbelt can (and usually will) save your life more often than if you are not wearing one. But forcing people into the decision to click it or ticket seems like BS to me. I like choosing what cereal to eat, what sports to play, what risks to take, etc. The law infringes on yours and mine ability to make free choices.

Somebody said something about backseat passengers flying forward and hitting the heads of those up front. The idea of people flying around inside of the car itself (not just through the windshield) seems to make the most sense if we dismiss everything else related to money (tickets=revenue, insurance companies lobbying, so on). Since most traffic laws are there to protect other drivers than yourself, the same logic would apply to inside of the vehicle and protecting those around you from your head smashing into theirs.

So should seatbelt laws only apply when there's more than 1 person in the car?

Originally Posted by crimson bird
but hey, theres a quote that i feel may suit you for this one... "i'm the one who has to go when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to while i'm still alive." so, undo your seatbelt and say F#@K you to anyone against it.....
as you pay your ticket,
lol, You got me Its usually on, I was being lazy and got stopped making a U under the freeway. They're like f***'n vultures doing that! Oh well, thats a-whole-nother discussion.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

by some of your logic. you should have to wear a helmet, a fire suit, and a hans device as well. NHRA cages spec'd for 6.99 or faster should be mandatory as should fire suppressant systems.

all of these should be checked for in an inspection. after all, you could pretty much drive a funny car off a bridge and swim out of it if you were able to maintain consciousness and escape the monkey cage you were in. i mean, if its all in the name of safety.

dont get me confused, i think seatbelts should be mandatory. the way the law is enforced is completely totally annoying, unnecessary, and frustrating. its just funneling money through the courts. 25$ ticket 100$ court cost. on top of all the other valid points made.

if its for my saftey, and my taxes pay YOUR salary.. pull me over to remind me i am being unsafe and express concern. dont take money out of my pocket so that i cant pay my credit card bill this month.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by honeycutt.dewey
I call

there are rare situations (like mine) where wearing your seatbelt can be fatal. however, most of the time it will prevent you from going for a nice flight through the windshield
I'm sure that's why he made the point to include "very little" when comparing the downsides of wearing vs. not. That looks like it was a wicked crash though; glad to see you made it out alright. Having been through that, do you still not wear you're seatbelt, have you decided to wear it more often, what (if any) change did it make on your habits in the car?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by honeycutt.dewey
I call

In your situation, why did you choose not to wear a seatbelt? Were you ticketed for not wearing one when they pulled you out of the vehicle?
Curious though, when you got hit, or hit whatever it was, what kept you from flying through the windshield?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I think that wearing clean underwear should be a law also.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chaman
I think that wearing clean underwear should be a law also.
Who wears underwear anymore?

I like to think of it as... weight reduction.