Anyone know WHY we have seatbelt laws?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Well after a crash that will be "new weight added" underwear or not....LOL!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

long story short, we t-boned another car in that truck carrying our 32 ft sea ray (obviously didn't go through the wind shield), the boat restraints snapped letting the boat come off the trailer, the outdrive dragged across my side of the cab, landed on the hood, we flipped, trailer still attached, and we landed upside down in the median. i had never worn my seat belt before that and thank god i had it off that day... my dad shoved me in the floorboard and laid on top of me while we still on the ground. if I would have had my seat belt on, i would not be talking to you guys today. the cab is actually lower than the dash on that side of the truck, meaning that I would have been crushed. i've got some other pictures around here somewhere... i'll post if you want. I will say this - i'm living proof (literally) that there is a god and that he loves me... if not I would be so dead right now...
Old 10-22-2009, 11:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by honeycutt.dewey
long story short, we t-boned another car in that truck carrying our 32 ft sea ray (obviously didn't go through the wind shield), the boat restraints snapped letting the boat come off the trailer, the outdrive dragged across my side of the cab, landed on the hood, we flipped, trailer still attached, and we landed upside down in the median. i had never worn my seat belt before that and thank god i had it off that day... my dad shoved me in the floorboard and laid on top of me while we still on the ground. if I would have had my seat belt on, i would not be talking to you guys today. the cab is actually lower than the dash on that side of the truck, meaning that I would have been crushed. i've got some other pictures around here somewhere... i'll post if you want. I will say this - i'm living proof (literally) that there is a god and that he loves me... if not I would be so dead right now...

Some friends were in a wreck where they were thrown out of the car, no belts and survived. But I mean that's a freak accident compared to thousands that have died from not having restraints because they end up being thrown from the car or getting head trauma from hitting the windshield and other fun things like concrete.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

This is a stupid question........seatbelts save lives...........PERIOD.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Coreyc619
by some of your logic. you should have to wear a helmet, a fire suit, and a hans device as well. NHRA cages spec'd for 6.99 or faster should be mandatory as should fire suppressant systems.

all of these should be checked for in an inspection. after all, you could pretty much drive a funny car off a bridge and swim out of it if you were able to maintain consciousness and escape the monkey cage you were in. i mean, if its all in the name of safety.

dont get me confused, i think seatbelts should be mandatory. the way the law is enforced is completely totally annoying, unnecessary, and frustrating. its just funneling money through the courts. 25$ ticket 100$ court cost. on top of all the other valid points made.

if its for my saftey, and my taxes pay YOUR salary.. pull me over to remind me i am being unsafe and express concern. dont take money out of my pocket so that i cant pay my credit card bill this month.

This is the smartest comment of the whole thread. I couldnt have said it better myself
Old 10-23-2009, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This brings up another issue I have: There are a LOT of laws that are enforced by financial penalty - and if you think about it they have a diminished effect depending on how much money the person makes.

If I have eleventybillion dollars, you think I care about a measly $500 fine for not wearing a seatbelt? For such people, not wearing one becomes an option. The new law states that backseat passengers now have to wear seatbelts. Think they are gonna pull over 50ft limos on the way to the AT&T center to check? I doubt it. Think of the negative P.R. that will cause the local police.

As far as the "have dark tint" - my windows were barely tinted in the front of my Trailblazer ~ 20% and they now check at inspection...can't be lower than 25%. Sooo.. unless you have the eleventybillion dollars to remove/retint every year you are screwed. (oh, and I even tried to get a buddy to do it and he couldn't since they are busting shops that pass you without checking).