My Firebird burned this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1nterceptor
Many insurance companies do raise rates for modified cars. Horsepower is one of the criteria they use to establish their rates and if you raised the horsepower without informing them they might use that as a reason to reject your claim.

My brother-in-law is an arson investigator for an insurance company. As soon as you said "fire" your insurance company notified an arson investigator. There are good odds it will be an investigator who comes out to see your car rather than an adjuster. My brother-in-law isn't a gearhead at all but would be able to spot that nitrous kit a mile away. And the second he does I assure you they will reject the claim. Since your car burned rather than flooded, and nitrous literally adds fuel to fire, you will be left having to prove that the nitrous wasn't responsible, rather than the insurance company having to prove it was.

But if you want to be stubborn and leave it connected even though everyone here is telling you not to, just remember we tried to warn you.
+1 on what he said. If it was me i would remove anything that is related to the nitrous kit lines,solenoids,switches ect. They are going to look for any reason not to pay. I would consider removing the pictures that show under the hood also just to be on the safe side.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
why? it's not flamable... do insurance companies jack up your rates for mods???? oh n plus i dont think they will even know what that is... unless you get that one guy that is actually a gear head that works for insurance agency...
Nitrous backfires have been know to burn cars down before also from fuel leaks and solenoid bleeding
Old 11-03-2009, 02:12 PM

holy ****...sorry to see that man.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

PM kwiker on here...he may have a donor car for you.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98silvertacrbn
Nitrous backfires have been know to burn cars down before also from fuel leaks and solenoid bleeding
N2O will be removed...but the bottle was not in the car when this happened.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

I have seen some burnt cars turn really good but that was just external damage on them it looks like you have alot of other damage and i would just let it go it was probably a fuel leak it just means its time for a Z-06 is all
Old 11-04-2009, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry to hear man
Old 11-04-2009, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
Thanks for your input...but take it easy dammit. The car just burnt on Saturday and those pictures are from just a few hours after, but I have not had a chance to get anything done with the N20. I never said I wouldn't take it off...in fact, I said I WOULD.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to inform. My brother-in-law is RUTHLESS about this type of thing. And he won't tell you he's an arson investigator who has more schooling than any 10 fire department arson investigators combined, he'll just say he's from insurance and start digging and you'll assume he's a regular old adjuster. And if there is ANY indication that the fire was caused, or continued after ignition, due to human error or influence, they'll hammer you.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Good luck with your claim. My car didn't burn but it did flood due to a leaky roof. You'd think a leaky t-top and window seal would leave just a little water in the car, but you'd be wrong. It completely flooded the interior. I sort of am in the same boat as you are, hoping insurance comes through. I don't want them to total it, but if they do I'll buy it back and try to rebuild. My rebuild won't be as bad as your is though.

Quick Reply: My Firebird burned this weekend...