Epoxy coating garage floor.. whos done it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 14SecV6
It seems like the key to success is the prepwork.
this is true for most painting/coating applications...
Old 11-17-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out the flooring forum on garagejournal dot com. You'll get all the answers you need.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98Z2885
Thats gonna be my problem too, my garage is separate from the house and it was built in the late 50's, the house was built in the late 70's. I have to contend with small oil stains on it.
Originally Posted by 14SecV6
It seems like the key to success is the prepwork.
i might have went overkill with the prepwork, but its been 2 years so far, and i have no peeling or anything like that. just some self inflicted wounds like scratches from ramps dragging and some antifreeze stains from having some trapped under a rhino ramp for like 5 weeks while my other car was out of commission. i know some people that got the cheaper setup from home depot or whatnot, and got peeling after only a year. it might have been because of their prep work or application as opposed to the product itself.

u-coat-it is not hard as a rock... you can drop stuff on it, but anything sharp will scratch, so you cant drag jacks sideways or anything like that. and its chemical resistant, but you still need to clean stuff up in a reasonable amount of time or it can stain.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Degreasing prior to epoxy application

We have been professionally installing epoxy garage floors since 2004. The purpose of degreasing is not necessarily to get the floor back to its original gray color. It is to open up the pores of the concrete so the epoxy can wick down into the surface.

A simple test: splash a couple of tablespoons of water on a suspect area. If it beads up you've got a porosity problem. If it turns dark in a few seconds the surface is porous and will allow the epoxy to adhere well. Doesn't matter if it is oil stained or not - porosity is the key.

Patrick Dowd
California Concrete Restoration
http://www.squidoo.com/epoxygaragefloors

Quick Reply: Epoxy coating garage floor.. whos done it?