Epoxy coating garage floor.. whos done it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epoxy coating garage floor.. whos done it?

Planning to get my 2 car garage's floor coated soon and have been doing some shopping around. I have found a few different companies that sell the kits. Rustoleum, Quickrete, and Behr. They all seem to be about the same price, and have the same kit contents. Has anyone had good results with any of the Lowes and homedepot kits?

Also, I do not have a smooth floor in my garage, it has the broom finish, about the same texture as my driveway. I am worried that it will not completely fill in the grooves, or evenually wear away on the top of the ridges.

Also, who used the 1-part, or 2-part kits, and any reccomendation on which to use on my broom finished floor?

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id like to know this too. Right now I just have checkered title under my car, Im worried about, the fact that the garage slab has been there since the 60's and it wont coat to it. Subscribing.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Teching In

This last weekend I powerwashed the garage with some serious cleaner/degreaser, but still might need to have some of that "pull up" powder to get some serious stains out (had a gallon of used oil leak out of its broken container) Once i decide on a brand/type of coating will do the chemical etch and all that stuff a day or so before i go to coat it.

Oh and if anyone in the houston/galveston area with experience wants to lend a hand, im sure a few beers will be available for the assistance!
Old 11-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 14SecV6
This last weekend I powerwashed the garage with some serious cleaner/degreaser, but still might need to have some of that "pull up" powder to get some serious stains out (had a gallon of used oil leak out of its broken container) Once i decide on a brand/type of coating will do the chemical etch and all that stuff a day or so before i go to coat it.

Oh and if anyone in the houston/galveston area with experience wants to lend a hand, im sure a few beers will be available for the assistance!
I have a few spots as well. I am in the process of making the garage air tight. It has old wood doors that slide. I am about to have new metal doors that lift up and down put in, and then next would be coating it. What did you use to get the stains out of the cement?
Old 11-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Teching In

I got a jug of the concrete cleaner/degreaser from lowes. they also have a small jug of the "pull out" powder, you put it on the stain and it penetrates the concrete and oil and turns into a powder when dry. hoping that will get enough of the oil out to allow the etching and coating to work.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

I did the Rustoleum kit from Lowes at my last house. Couple things I learned:

1. Use the chips. If you don't, it becomes a slip-n-slide when wet. You can use a product called "shark skin" as a substitute. It's like a fine sand.
  2. If you're not going to do all bays at the same time, expect a slight color variation.
  3. Over time, hot tires will peel up the epoxy. I had mine done for about two years, and the spots where the tires came to rest needed touching up.

I eventually plan to do my current house, but will probably do U-Coat It this time, so I can get a better color match.

OLD pics: https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fab...-complete.html

-Mike
Old 11-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Looks good, I dont want the confetti, was planning to put some of the sand mix stuff in there and help get a bit of a grip, But, being that my floor is already a bit rough, maybe that will keep it from being a slip and slide.

With the hot tire pickup thing, did you do the etching and stuff before laying it down?
Old 11-16-2009, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

My mom had hers done and it started peeling under the tires after 6 months.

If you look on 6speedonline there is a forum to garages that has lots of info on it.

also there are a few garage forums out there, but I forgot what they were.

My friend and I have been looking it up, and from what most people say, doing the cheap route lasts for a year or two, having someone do the chemical eche and what not lasts longer.

Staining it is the best. Just depends what you want. Lots of good information out there if you start looking.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:04 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure you etch the concrete and get a quality 2 part solvent based not water system.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

I've had mine down in the garage since we moved in. I put the system down as instructed on a brand new concrete floor - we built the house so the garage floor was "virgin" when I put the coating down. It has lasted quite well. I agree, the flakes are a must if you want ANY traction when wet or when fluids get on the floor - even then its slicker than raw concrete. five years later, I do have a little touch up to do where the tires have started working on the coating, but it really hasn't been bad. when it gets nasty, spray it down with a bit of simple green and hose it out, the floor looks good as new.

Not bad for a cheap DIY. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Launching!

I did mine with the Home Depot 1 part-kit, it was really cheap and I did it in steps.

Started with a sweep, water down, acid etcher, primer, base coat, spackle, and a clear coat... It was the cheaper kind, but it has worked great for me.

Heres the pics, it has held up well since around may? If I wouldn't have rushed i would have had a better result, but i didnt want to leave all my tools overnight in the driveway!
Before:

After:

Old 11-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Looks good, your garage looks exactly like mine.. Just enough for 2 cars, if you want a place to work, its only a 1 car garage. haha

I hate these new home designs... I guess with people buying cars with 100,000 mile warrantys the need to work on your own car has gone away. smaller garage makes more space for other "necessities" like a garden tub and his/hers walkin closets.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Launching!

This is what mine looks like now, the tile I used for indoor shows and still had a few wrinkles in it when this picture was taken. It is laying smooth now.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:41 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I have a friend the owns Gallantgarage.com and Brett has done both of my shops with great success, and I know he has done a few others on here like Carbon's. For the money he charges its hard to beat it. For the average two car garage he was charging @$750. The stuff you get from the hardware stores is ok, but not the industrial product that Bret uses it will not come up even after years of driving on it. GL on the DIY coating, but just wanted to give you another option if you had doughts about the products reliabity etc...
Old 11-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Teching In

If you want industrial floor coatings ...go to American Coatings in Tomball Texas. To do a two car garage yourself will cost you about 300.00 . But this stuff isnt like you would get at lowes or home depot. They have a industrial floor coatings division...but will sell you the paint directly as well. Will give you a thick high gloss look.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Well I have a friend the owns Gallantgarage.com and Brett has done both of my shops with great success, and I know he has done a few others on here like Carbon's. For the money he charges its hard to beat it. For the average two car garage he was charging @$750. The stuff you get from the hardware stores is ok, but not the industrial product that Bret uses it will not come up even after years of driving on it. GL on the DIY coating, but just wanted to give you another option if you had doughts about the products reliabity etc...

Jeff, I'm going to need to call him when the time comes. Home Depot came out and quoted me over $3000 for my garage (3-car).

-Mike
Old 11-17-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

i did u-coat-it. was a little pricey (like $600), but came out nice. the application part was easy, but i spent a long time on the prep work due to having a 30 year old house.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
i did u-coat-it. was a little pricey (like $600), but came out nice. the application part was easy, but i spent a long time on the prep work due to having a 30 year old house.
Thats gonna be my problem too, my garage is separate from the house and it was built in the late 50's, the house was built in the late 70's. I have to contend with small oil stains on it.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

we used a epoxy from Sherman Williams. It was put down on a virgin floor but still brushed muratic acid around to etch the concrete then hose off and let dry and paint the epoxy on. we have carpet in various places to kneel on while working or things like that.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Teching In

It seems like the key to success is the prepwork.

Quick Reply: Epoxy coating garage floor.. whos done it?