Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Garage re-design complete

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Garage re-design complete

Well, I took some advice from this board, and used a little common sense, and am very happy with the results. It's not perfect, but it's a good start. Now to get a shed in the back yard for the lawn gear....

-Mike
Attached Thumbnails Garage re-design complete-garage_after_01.jpg   Garage re-design complete-garage_after_02.jpg   Garage re-design complete-garage_after_03.jpg   Garage re-design complete-garage_after_04.jpg   Garage re-design complete-garage_after_05.jpg  

Old 07-29-2004, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Good thinking in keeping the compressor next to your tool box. That way you can grab an air tool, the line hook em up and be ready to go.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

What floor paint did you use?
Old 07-29-2004, 05:57 PM
TECH Junkie

That is the off-the-shelf Rustoleum. I didn't use the flakes because I didn't like the way they looked (like a confetti monster barfed on the floor). Will it hold up over time? Maybe, maybe not. However, it looks great, was easy to apply, and if I have to touch it up before we move out (several years from now, most likely), so be it.

I had to do it one half at a time, since I didn't have a place to store all my stuff while I was painting. There is a slight color difference (evident in one of the pictures), but it's not something I plan to lose sleep over.

-Mike
Old 07-30-2004, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fandango
Good thinking in keeping the compressor next to your tool box. That way you can grab an air tool, the line hook em up and be ready to go.
BTW, I know where you can get a nice accessory to your compressor...if you're ever in the market for a high end hose reel. [plug, plug]

Nice garage - I wish mine were that clean and organized. Hell, I have ramps laying around that I could never even use on my car!

Matt
Old 07-30-2004, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Actually, a hose reel and an electrical cord reel are on my birthday wish list. If I don't get the hose reel for my birthday (this Tuesday), I may be contacting you.

-Mike
Old 08-02-2004, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

Mike,

Happy Birthday! I'd be interested to hear what you get (brand), in any case. Good luck!

Matt
Old 08-03-2004, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow looks soo much better, good job, i need to paint mine like that, hows it hold against oil?
Old 08-03-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hourang
wow looks soo much better, good job, i need to paint mine like that, hows it hold against oil?
Thanks for the compliments. So far, so good on the oil. Apparently, my string trimmer tends to leak oil/fuel mix around the primer bulb, as I found a small puddle under it a couple days ago. I wiped it up with a paper towel and it didn't leave ANY marks on the floor.

-Mike
Old 08-03-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

niice, if you dont mind me asking about how much did all the paint run you?
Old 08-03-2004, 03:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hourang
niice, if you dont mind me asking about how much did all the paint run you?
I ended up using two kits of Rustoleum from Home Depot. Total cost was $123.41, after tax, or $57 per kit. Each kit included the base, the "activator" (which is basically the epoxy), a paint stirrer, a video on how to apply it (since I have no vcr, this was mostly useless), a bag of "cleaner" (smelled like alka seltzer and citric acid) which is dissovled in water, and a bag of flakes. I elected against using the flakes, and have not had any traction problems on the wet floor.

My advice to anyone considering this approach is do the whole garage at once, if possible. You can see the line in some of the pictures between the two halves, and the second can of paint ended up being just a hair darker. I think this is mostly because I didn't mix all the activator into all the paint. Instead, I eyeballed half and half, so I could have some left over for touch-ups, if necessary. Once the paint and activator are mixed, you can't seal it up, open it a few days later and keep painting, as it becomes a rock.

-Mike
Old 08-03-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice im gonna have to do that then, if i ever get time.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Ya I want to build a shed too I just hate to store my yard crap and kids bikes around my cars.

Quick Reply: Garage re-design complete