ZR1 in Friendswood

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Domsz06
who gives their son a 100k+ car for a biday present??? and at that one with 600+ hp.

wow
His dad actually bought it for himself but never drove it, so decided to give it to his son when he turned 17. He is a very good kid and doesn't act like a jackass. He has other vehicles to that he drives so it wasn't his daily driver. I don't have the story yet on what happened but I will get it hopefully today.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:25 AM
8 Second Club

Not every kid drives like an idiot (Ok so like 90% do, but there is a 10% that don't). And we all mistakes... If this had been a 4th gen or a Mustang (either making the same amount of power as the ZR1) nobody would care as much...

I had a 500rwhp Cobra back when I was 17 (That's when I met basically all of the oldschool Tech people back in 01). I was lucky that I didn't screw up and hurt anyone or myself. It helped me respect cars a lot more having to get use to everything.

Last edited by Mr Powell; 06-10-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I had my heads/cam 400ci 80 Trans Am when I was 16, wasn't too wild but was definitely making some power. I couldn't afford to go fast in it though with 6mpg.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

And I was happy to get to drive a 700hp for my 27th birthday

Glad to hear the kid is okay, sorry to hear the car is so badly damaged
Old 06-10-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BT03mach-1
i work my butt off for my vette... a 17 year old gets a zr1 as a b-day gift?! maybe thats why mine is still in one piece.
Yup. I worked my *** off to get the TA, currently working my *** of to finish the TT build for it, saving money, and busting more *** to buy a c5Z or early C6.

Damn rich kids
Old 06-10-2011, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

yeah, i hate it when parents buy their kids nice cars for their 16th birthday. i went to a catholic school with alot of rich kids driving new bmw, mercedes, etc etc.. me? my parents bought me a ******* sunfire. i hated it, but i learned to appreciate it, and it was better than nothing afterall. just hated to see all of those kids get nice cars and treat them like **** because their parents were gonna trade it in for the next years model anyways. whats worse is alot of them tried to claim that they "worked for it" and bought it themselves. i'd always laugh because theres no way in hell you bought a car that expensive with your own money when you're 16 lol. if anything, your parents gave you the money and you bought it.

anyways the guy with the zr1 must be a tard or something, because anyone with a lick of common sense knows not to buy their kids expensive or fast cars, because chances are they're gonna screw it up anyway. more dollars than sense!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Launching!

The kid may be a nice respectable, calm individual, but there is NO WAY IN HELL I'd buy a kid of that age a car with that type of performance. It's like the kids that go out and buy a GSXR1000/R1/CBR/Huyabusa/etc for their 1st bike. Then it's just a matter of when, not so much if an accident is going to happen.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you work hard enough, you can. Paid cash for all my cars, though none of them are $50k cars though.

I was messing around with this chick from westside highschool and she said those kids there had friggen hummers, 12 in lifted duramax's on 44's, bad *** f250's and I was like what the ****. Her parents had two nice jags, an srt8 jeep and a scion that was the girls.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Launching!

I drove a 1980 Ford Fairmont when I was in high school, and I'm thankful for every minute of it. That car was goofy looking and embarrassing as ****, but it built character and I had more fun and more memories in that car than all of the ones I've had since then combined. Kids are so selfish and spoiled these days. I really feel sad for that generation. These kids have a lot to learn about life
Old 06-10-2011, 02:39 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ekshail
The kid may be a nice respectable, calm individual, but there is NO WAY IN HELL I'd buy a kid of that age a car with that type of performance. It's like the kids that go out and buy a GSXR1000/R1/CBR/Huyabusa/etc for their 1st bike. Then it's just a matter of when, not so much if an accident is going to happen.
I'm still alive and no HUGE or even MAJOR mistakes... 16yrs old was running low 13s and high 12s... 17 had a 120+mph car... 19 had a low 10second Car, 20 was going low 9s in the car from 19, and at 21 was going 8s with that same car. Current car went right at 150 when I was 25-26... Should go hopefully 160 at 27. My brother was going high 11s before he turned 17. He went mid 10s on motor when he was 18.

Just because someone is young doesn't mean they are going to do stupid stuff and hurt themselves or someone. We have been very fortunate growing up, but I think it's the more mature attitude that I've had, same with Lil Powell that's helped us. A lot of users on this site have known me since I was 16 or 17, and some have known LP since he was 13 or 14 (he didn't come out racing until he was 15 with me).

Just bothers me when people say it's always going to happen. You can't help stupid people, so **** will always happen.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
If you work hard enough, you can. Paid cash for all my cars, though none of them are $50k cars though.

I was messing around with this chick from westside highschool and she said those kids there had friggen hummers, 12 in lifted duramax's on 44's, bad *** f250's and I was like what the ****. Her parents had two nice jags, an srt8 jeep and a scion that was the girls.
Never seen the parking lot at West Plano I take it... haha - I went to school and saw a slew of BMW's and Mercedes with several Lambo's and Ferarri's while I was driving a 300zTT or a 5.0 Foxbody.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:23 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

I drove crazy in my first 2 years of driving... Until I spun my car out and tagged a guard rail. That's nuts to give a kid that age a 600hp car.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Even if you can handle the power accidents do happen. My friend and I were on the way to school one day in the WS6 in light rain. I went to pass a car and gave it some gas doing 40 in 4th and the rear tires broke loose half way into the other lane. I didn't even know what happened until the rear end caught and flung us back straight. We weren't ******* around or anything.

I did way more stupid **** in my v6 than the muscle cars. I **** around so much in the f250 though.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn, some of you need to put down the Hateraid...

The kid got the car for a reason, whether he is a great kid or a dumbass his parents chose to give him that car.

If you are 17 and you parents gave you a ZR1 would you tell them no you would rather have a KIA? Just because the kids parents can afford to do it does not mean he does not deserve it.

Just like everyone else, I worked my *** off for my cars.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
I'm still alive and no HUGE or even MAJOR mistakes... 16yrs old was running low 13s and high 12s... 17 had a 120+mph car... 19 had a low 10second Car, 20 was going low 9s in the car from 19, and at 21 was going 8s with that same car. Current car went right at 150 when I was 25-26... Should go hopefully 160 at 27. My brother was going high 11s before he turned 17. He went mid 10s on motor when he was 18.
I went to Baybrook Mall a few times when I was 16-17.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

I was lucky enough to get my dads Corvette when I was 16. Drove it every day. But i was raised and taught to not act stupid. I still own it today. My dad told me that if I did mess it up I wouldnt get another car under his roof. I worshiped that car and it kept me out of trouble.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

I think it funny that most that are hating are acting like they would turn down their dad's offer to drive the zr-1. Just because he's young does not mean he's not mature. I've seen my fair share of immature 30+ year olds. If he can afford to give the car to his son knowing he might wreck then by all means. Maybe $100k isn't a lot to him, to him it might be a $20k car the way he sees it. I'm sure the dad is thankful that his sons ok and that's all he has to be worried about not the car.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mr Powell

Just because someone is young doesn't mean they are going to do stupid stuff and hurt themselves or someone. We have been very fortunate growing up, but I think it's the more mature attitude that I've had, same with Lil Powell that's helped us. A lot of users on this site have known me since I was 16 or 17, and some have known LP since he was 13 or 14 (he didn't come out racing until he was 15 with me).

Just bothers me when people say it's always going to happen. You can't help stupid people, so **** will always happen.
I guess to me it's more of a risk factor. You can limit the risk of serious injury if you take your time with it. Why does a kid need a car with such power? Why? IMHO go fast street legal toys should be reserved till the the age of 21. I understand that you made it through OK, but you are a rare breed. I'm not hating on your lifestyle, and based on the track times you're spouting off, it looks like you had an outlet when it comes to speed; in a safe, legal environment (aka at the track). I raced go-carts when I was younger & it helped me get a better understanding of driving a high performance machine.

It's not about how much the car cost, or what I would do in the kids situation (cause lord knows if my mom could have afforded to get me something like this when i was young, I'd been allll over it), it's about limiting risk. I'm glad he's OK.

Last edited by Ekshail; 06-11-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

I have seen the kid driving the car around the Friendswood area and can attest that he usually cruised around, obviously the few times he decided to drive spiritly apparently caught up with him. Good to hear that he is okay though, as someone mentioned before cars are replaceable!
My own opinion is this is what's wrong with this next generation; they are 'given' things that they probably do not deserve leading them to a sense of entitlement. My folks used to make me work for the things that I wanted when I was growing up. I'm sure they could have given me practically anything that I wanted or asked for but I think they were trying to teach me that through hard work and sacrifice you can get the things that you want and that life lesson has made me appreciate the things that I have. To me the sense of entitlement that this younger generation has blows my mind and how some parents get caught up in perpetuating this type of behavior in the younger generation baffles me. What type of outcome did you eventually expect giving a kid a vehicle like a ZR-1? If the kid had died how would that have made his step-dad feel after giving him a vehicle like that? Or better yet I hear the younger generation say why should I work my way up within a company, I should just start out at the top? Not meaning to rant but just my observation and no I do not particularly know the situation of the parties involved. Like I said glad to hear that the kid is alright it's too bad that a nice vehicle got destroyed.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:15 PM
8 Sec Tuner

Greg's zr1 is fine....and FYI Greg's son is a driving ****!

Quick Reply: ZR1 in Friendswood