Car's Carpet Very Wet. Standing in Some Areas. Must Remove Carpet???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Car's Carpet Very Wet. Standing in Some Areas. Must Remove Carpet???

alright so i just moved and since then my 99 Z has been sitting since December 5th. I get in it today to drive it to work and notice that my floor mats are glistening in the sunlight. So i check them out and they are SOAKED along with the carpet underneath as well as the leg area for the rear passengers. The worst part is the passenger's bucket seats. These babies have inches of standing water in them.

So i know why it happened. I parked my car there with my *** higher than my nose so you know what happened. The area on that hatch where the glass curves got bombarded so it had to leak somewhere, and that somewhere was in the interior of my ride.

So my question to you is: Does my carpet need to come out and be replaced or can it stay in and get evacuated, steam cleaned, shampooed, and deodorized?

FACTS:
My car doesn't even smell, so that's a good sign.
The water could have been in my car since the 5th of this month.
I have already gotten A LOT of the water out, so much so that when I press on the carpet, my hand is moist/damp and no longer soaked.
I already have everything out of the car except the driver seat and passenger back (damn torx bolts)
The carpet was wet enough to where I could wring out entire beach towels of water from where the driver's feet go.

Any advice or suggestions or ebony/gray carpet would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You going to wanna pull it up and get it out of the car. Shampoo/steam it, then let it dry outside of the car with some fans on it. There are drain plugs in the floor pan you can pop to drain that water as well...
Old 12-22-2009, 01:09 AM
Staging Lane

Pull it for sure. The smell is underneath the carpet on the sound deadener. I almost puked when I pulled mine out. Take 2 sweaty socks from July, keep them sweaty for a month and multiply that by........1000000000=horid smell.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

anyone have a write-up on this?

do i want to shampoo and steam everything that is above the floorboard but below my feet (basically the carpet and the sound deadener)?

is there anything else in there with the carpet and the sound deadener?

would anyone see any reason to get the carpet evacuated, shampooed, steam cleaned, and deodorized if the carpet wouldn't be able to come out of the car until Xmas eve or xmas? I don't really have a place to dry carpet in my apartment unless it can be done on a balcony.

about how long will it take for the carpet to dry?

Last edited by jdoyle; 12-22-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

bump. isn't there glue under the sound deadener?

how do you usually get that off?
Old 12-22-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
You going to wanna pull it up and get it out of the car. Shampoo/steam it, then let it dry outside of the car with some fans on it. There are drain plugs in the floor pan you can pop to drain that water as well...
What this guy said..
Originally Posted by jdoyle
bump. isn't there glue under the sound deadener?

how do you usually get that off?
Nope, should pull up.. There is some that is glued down in the well, in the hatch, but you can just leave it in because it's a thinner, less spongey material..

The carpet will take a couple of hours to dry probably.. Depending on the weather and where it's left of course..
Old 12-22-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

how do you guys get the carpet out from the top side of the rear seatbelts by the rear shock mounts? that's where I seem to be getting stuck.

also, do the sail panels kind of just yank off?
Old 12-22-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

If you already have the torx bolts out and the belts out of the way. Just pop those sail panels off, they should come off with a good tug. However you should NOT have to use a lot of force to remove them. Once they are removed you should be able to see if anything else holding the carpet in place. I presume you also removed the cargo hooks as well..
Old 12-22-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do not have the torx bolts out, I still need the torx bits. I removed one front seatbelt guide and one side of the rear passenger seat back so i gotta take those to the parts store and pick up the right bits after work.

how do you remove the peices between the sail panels and the peices that expose the spare tire?

I hear those cargo hooks are a bitch to remove...do you know how to remove them? I hear you just gotta pry them off with a flathead or something.

i wonder if the sail panels can be twisted horizontally with the cargo hooks still attached if they are a real pain to remove and reinstall.

EDIT: apparently the cargo hooks must come out using a pair of needle nosed pliers and a flathead.

Last edited by jdoyle; 12-22-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do not have the torx bolts out, I still need the torx bits. I removed one front seatbelt guide and one side of the rear passenger seat back so i gotta take those to the parts store and pick up the right bits after work.

how do you remove the peices between the sail panels and the peices that expose the spare tire?

I hear those cargo hooks are a bitch to remove...do you know how to remove them? I hear you just gotta pry them off with a flathead or something.

i wonder if the sail panels can be twisted horizontally with the cargo hooks still attached if they are a real pain to remove and reinstall.
One side is slotted so it should slide off.....other side...I slotted myself to match the other side..But that's just what I did..
Old 12-22-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta get a torx-set for working on these cars jdog. I would help you and let you use my tools but i'm prob 275 miles from you. Good luck man, call if you need help
Old 12-22-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

eh.....just give a wet/dry shopvac and it'll pull all the water out.... then set it to blow and blow the moisture dry.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya i have to pick a set up here from gangsta zone after work lol.

I might be giving you a shout depending on if the sail panels and the peices behind them try to fight me.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trans Am Jam
eh.....just give a wet/dry shopvac and it'll pull all the water out.... then set it to blow and blow the moisture dry.
negative, however, are you really from the jersey shore? if so, awesome.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Clothes hangers in the sail panels have a plastic pin in them that you have to pry out.. They give, so they're kind of a PITA, but they have to come out..

As for removing the pieces that cover your spare, just get a quarter and turn the plastic locks to where they say "Unlock" and then pull them out.. shouldn't be too hard, so if they're not coming out, just play with them..

Also, make sure you have a good, skinny/fine pointed set of needle nose to get the C, U, whatever clip out of the shifter handle to take it off so you can jerk the ebrake and slide the console over it to get the carpet out there..
Old 12-22-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slvr00Bird
The Clothes hangers in the sail panels have a plastic pin in them that you have to pry out.. They give, so they're kind of a PITA, but they have to come out..

As for removing the pieces that cover your spare, just get a quarter and turn the plastic locks to where they say "Unlock" and then pull them out.. shouldn't be too hard, so if they're not coming out, just play with them..

Also, make sure you have a good, skinny/fine pointed set of needle nose to get the C, U, whatever clip out of the shifter handle to take it off so you can jerk the ebrake and slide the console over it to get the carpet out there..
I can get the peices out that cover the spare, however I think I am having some trouble with the peices in between the spare tire cover and the sail panels. These panels kind of cover the rear shock mount and the top side of the rear seatbelts.

wait a second, this stuff with the ebrake and the clip... is that to get the console out or the carpet out? cuz i already have the console out.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

so does anyone know how to take out the peices between the spare tire cover and the sail panel on both sides?

also, once you get the console out, doesn't the carpet just go over the shifter/ebrake area?
Old 12-22-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

negative, however, are you really from the jersey shore? if so, awesome.
lol yes I am and yes I do know Snooks from MTV's Jersey Shore. (meet her from myspace a while back. lololol
Old 12-22-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can get the peices out that cover the spare, however I think I am having some trouble with the peices in between the spare tire cover and the sail panels. These panels kind of cover the rear shock mount and the top side of the rear seatbelts.

wait a second, this stuff with the ebrake and the clip... is that to get the console out or the carpet out? cuz i already have the console out.
Yes, it was to get the console out.. Once it's out, the carpet there should just lift over everything..
so does anyone know how to take out the peices between the spare tire cover and the sail panel on both sides?

also, once you get the console out, doesn't the carpet just go over the shifter/ebrake area?
I'm not sure what pieces you're talking about (maybe camaros are different).. I don't have an intermediate piece.. I have the spare cover and other side as well and then those lead to the sail panel which covers the rear seat belts..
Old 12-22-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slvr00Bird
Yes, it was to get the console out.. Once it's out, the carpet there should just lift over everything..

I'm not sure what pieces you're talking about (maybe camaros are different).. I don't have an intermediate piece.. I have the spare cover and other side as well and then those lead to the sail panel which covers the rear seat belts..
hmmm maybe i need to get the sail panel off to get this weird peice that I am talking about off.

Thanks for the help man!

Quick Reply: Car's Carpet Very Wet. Standing in Some Areas. Must Remove Carpet???