Tinted Tails not pass State Inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear Reflector

Every motor vehicle shall carry on the rear, either as part of the tail lamps or separately, two or more red reflectors.
Rear reflectors on a vehicle shall reflect a red color.
Red reflectors required on the rear of a vehicle may be incorporated with the tail lamp assembly.
Every reflector upon any vehicle shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within 600 feet to 100 feet from such vehicle when directly in front of the the lawful lower beams of head lamps.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc....htm#blackouts
Also refers to blackouts on there

I could have sworn it was 200ft but I guess I was wrong. Haven't been a inspector in a couple years
Old 01-19-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just find another place, one place told me my old truck was illegal, then another didnt. All depends on the person like said before, try another place before you get your lights changed
Old 01-19-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A LOT of inspection stations have tightened up recently. Apparently there are several locally that cannot do inspections anymore because they passed cars they shouldn't have. A friend of a friend does inspections and HE wouldn't pass me with door tint that was 4% too dark. The difference between his test panel and my window was negligible... I went home and had to strip the windows... what a pain.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
my dad is a cop and say's they are not illegal, as long as they reflect light and you are able to see from 50ft away... like i used to have them on my truck and if you shined light on them they reflected and you could easily see them from 200ft away... but some state inspectors are dicks and cops also and read that law the wrong way... that is just my interpretation...
ur dad does not work for DPS nor is state certified to do inspections. Ask a state trooper and he will say otherwise. inspections standards are diffrent than those standards that some non DPS state troopers uphold.

J
Old 01-20-2010, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

local cops and the dps are totally different i agree ive been certified to do state inspections for 13 yrs now and i was told this by my trooper [dps officer] as long as the reflective properties are in tacht not missing or blocked the car will pass inspection it can have the outside lens part broken and missing but aslong as the reflective material is there its ok !!!

Originally Posted by kornfreak_401
ur dad does not work for DPS nor is state certified to do inspections. Ask a state trooper and he will say otherwise. inspections standards are diffrent than those standards that some non DPS state troopers uphold.

J
Old 01-20-2010, 01:40 AM
Launching!

I had that dark smoke tint on my old mustang and they overlooked it here. They did not overlook my loud *** exhaust though lol bt tail lights were fine... just bcuz something isn't legal doesnt mean there isn't a way around it...
Old 01-20-2010, 07:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tata
Rear Reflector

Every motor vehicle shall carry on the rear, either as part of the tail lamps or separately, two or more red reflectors.
Rear reflectors on a vehicle shall reflect a red color.
Red reflectors required on the rear of a vehicle may be incorporated with the tail lamp assembly.
Every reflector upon any vehicle shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within 600 feet to 100 feet from such vehicle when directly in front of the the lawful lower beams of head lamps.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc....htm#blackouts
Also refers to blackouts on there

I could have sworn it was 200ft but I guess I was wrong. Haven't been a inspector in a couple years
Awesome thanks for that fact. So my tint is leagal as my lights are still reflective from 100 feet. On my vette maybe not, but the audi for sure. I'll have to keep this lol You know if you read that fact it says at night. most black outs still allow reflective at night since your parking lights are on.... granted the next link says it can't impair the reflective. SO if your using a light enough tint to just mask it and make it blend in better, but still reflects within the distance at night your good to go. I think with these facts you could easily argue in court if you had a light tint on your lights. Now a dark tint your screwed, but the light one I think is gonna be on the border line but if you push it you probably gonna win.

Thanks again I'm printing it now!

Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
Just find another place, one place told me my old truck was illegal, then another didnt. All depends on the person like said before, try another place before you get your lights changed
what he said.

Originally Posted by gun4hire
A LOT of inspection stations have tightened up recently. Apparently there are several locally that cannot do inspections anymore because they passed cars they shouldn't have. A friend of a friend does inspections and HE wouldn't pass me with door tint that was 4% too dark. The difference between his test panel and my window was negligible... I went home and had to strip the windows... what a pain.
I heard this too on the news somewhere.

Originally Posted by BIG ED'S 35TH SS
local cops and the dps are totally different i agree ive been certified to do state inspections for 13 yrs now and i was told this by my trooper [dps officer] as long as the reflective properties are in tacht not missing or blocked the car will pass inspection it can have the outside lens part broken and missing but aslong as the reflective material is there its ok !!!
so true. I think it just all depends on what you are doing when they pull you over.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:18 AM
Teching In

I thought about just ordering some aftermarket ones/LEDs, but nobody makes a decent tail for camaros.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:05 AM
Teching In

So I went to another inspection station, and they had no issues with the lights. Thanks for all your inputs.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

glad u got em passed
Old 01-22-2010, 11:28 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

one thing that should be taken into mind...

if someone cant see your taillights and they rearend you because of the fact they didnt realise you just slamed on your brakes...(just an example)

they have every legal right to take you to court... because you intentionaly violated DOT standards.
no different than speeding and hitting someone

Quick Reply: Tinted Tails not pass State Inspection?