mechanic shops are funny

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 11:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default mechanic shops are funny

Figured id share this little story.

Well i have a lifetime alignment at brake check and i usually go in every 6 months (1-2k miles) for a realignment since they recommend it. They are nice people and always talk about how much they love my car. But its funny because those places have people that know nothing about cars. The guy test drove my car after the alignment to make sure it was okay, when he came back he asked me if i still had the stock shocks (my car is lowered) and i said no i have the koni 4/4's. he then proceeded to recommend the KYB adjustable shock. and i just smiled and said no thanks ill stick with what i have. i assume he thought the ride was a little bumpy which to him meant my shocks were bad. but i have my koni's pretty stiff since i like a firm ride. and then said that i should get a fuel injection cleaning?

im not bashing the place at all, because its its like that everywhere. but i feel bad for the people that go there and actually listen to what they tell them to do because they dont know any better.

thought that was kind of funny and figured you guys would like to hear it.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you saying I didn't need the reverse, back flush injector treatment? Surely the wiper blade pre-treatment weather proofing system was a smart choice.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Every time I go to a shop I ask them to check my blinker fluid . I like to make sure all my fluids are good haha
Old 02-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Launching!

i get the same type of stuff. i always get people saying that they like my car, and then they try to talk to me about it and have NO IDEA what they're talking about, nor do they realize how stupid they sound trying to talk about it, LOL. it seems to be just about everywhere you go nowadays, and it's really a shame that you can't really go anywhere and find someone that really knows what they're doing anymore
Old 02-02-2010, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Was it a big name franchise? I used to work for tires plus and they upsell EVERYTHING! For the tech its a little more comission but yeah, I cant tell you how many times Id do a fluid flush and the old stuff was almost the same color as the new.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:27 PM
12 Second Club

My favorite was when I got my oil changed and the dude came out tell me that my transmission fluid and filter was due for a change. I said, "Did you look at my car?" He goes, "Yes - Why??". I replied, "Well, if you can find a transmission filter on it, go ahead and change it."

I have a 6-speed manual. I'm still not sure he understood.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Launching!

lol i love going to get my oil changed and everyone gathers around and looks at my simple single nozzle nitrous kit and ask how hard does it throw me back in the seat lol, or when they say it sounds good and proceeds to tell me a story about there brothers cousins husband that has one that will smoke me cuz it ran 10.xx all day long on street tires lol
Old 02-02-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there is a thread in the racers lounge or multimedia section that is titled "whats the stupidest question someone has asked you" or something like that, it's like 60 pages long of that stuff right there, should keep you entertained for the rest of the day... lol

but to add on, i was at sears gettin a new battery for my truck and i was just listening to there "mechanics" advising to get new stuff blah blah blah... well he was trying to get this guy driving like a 91 f150 to get the "high mileage" oil and he was like nah nah the old stuff works for me just the the old havoline, cause it's a v8 anyways so i dont need that... then he turns to the lady behind him but i got a bronco and home thats a BIG BOY v8, man it has a holly 4 barrell it's moves! but thats a big boy v8... haha all i could do was listen and try to hold my smile back...
Old 02-02-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was at Pep Boys last year getting butt raped for the last time. A lady was at the front desk talking to a "mechanic". She was really upset, and he was insuring her that her problems were due to a bad fuel pump, clogged fuel lines, and etc, etc. She'd need an overhaul of repairs. I listened for a bit and then suggested that a dirty/clogged fuel filter would result in similar symptoms. Everyone got quiet, and the lady looked at me. As I walked out, I nodded, smiled and said "plus, it's a heck of alot cheaper to change that first".
Old 02-02-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, I'm pretty sure your shocks are better than those KYB AGXs....

-Mike
Old 02-02-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
My favorite was when I got my oil changed and the dude came out tell me that my transmission fluid and filter was due for a change. I said, "Did you look at my car?" He goes, "Yes - Why??". I replied, "Well, if you can find a transmission filter on it, go ahead and change it."

I have a 6-speed manual. I'm still not sure he understood.
wrong person
Old 02-02-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CLRD4TO
Was it a big name franchise? I used to work for tires plus and they upsell EVERYTHING! For the tech its a little more comission but yeah, I cant tell you how many times Id do a fluid flush and the old stuff was almost the same color as the new.
You sell stuff based on mileage of the car not on the color of the fluid. Theres your first problem....
Old 02-02-2010, 05:38 PM
LS7 Member

I'm so thankful I took my car in for servicing the other day. Little did I know that my blinker fluid was dangerously low, AND my muffler bearings were shot. These could have led to catastrophic engine failure, so I had them take care of everything.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
Figured id share this little story.

Well i have a lifetime alignment at brake check and i usually go in every 6 months (1-2k miles) for a realignment since they recommend it. They are nice people and always talk about how much they love my car. But its funny because those places have people that know nothing about cars. The guy test drove my car after the alignment to make sure it was okay, when he came back he asked me if i still had the stock shocks (my car is lowered) and i said no i have the koni 4/4's. he then proceeded to recommend the KYB adjustable shock. and i just smiled and said no thanks ill stick with what i have. i assume he thought the ride was a little bumpy which to him meant my shocks were bad. but i have my koni's pretty stiff since i like a firm ride. and then said that i should get a fuel injection cleaning?

im not bashing the place at all, because its its like that everywhere. but i feel bad for the people that go there and actually listen to what they tell them to do because they dont know any better.

thought that was kind of funny and figured you guys would like to hear it.
So you put no more than 2k on your vehicle and waste your time on alignment checks? You hit curbs all the time or what? Either way it's funny that you mention lifetime alignments.......I get them all the time with people complaining of vehicle pulling to left/right and it's a bad shock because their lifetime alignment mechanic told them the alignments fine. So after they get me to align it all of a sudden it doesn't pull, funny how that works. BTW anyone need F-Body alignments hit me up lol
Old 02-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by UTEvo8
I'm so thankful I took my car in for servicing the other day. Little did I know that my blinker fluid was dangerously low, AND my muffler bearings were shot. These could have led to catastrophic engine failure, so I had them take care of everything.
lol you get both of your transmission replaced also? lol
Old 02-02-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol i work at a NTB and i hear this stuff all day as i just shake my head and laugh at my own cowrkers trying to sell stupid ****. when i see a nice camaro, T/A, Vette etc. im usually the one to work on them cause im the only one there with SOME knowledge of f- bodys. i know the nice aftermarket stuff when i see it. im just a tech though trying to make some money to build my own car.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Haha yeah i love it when people who work with cars dont have a clue. I once had a guy ask me if my truck was supercharged. I asked why and he said b/c it had a rough idle..truck was cammed.
But the best was a service guy at a dodge dealership. I pulled up in my truck and he asked me what kind of exhaust i had. I told him headers...etc. He told me he had headers but couldnt figure out why his truck didnt have a lumpy idle. I just laughed...but then i was worried he might be working on my truck haha.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they tried to trick me with replacing the johnson rods trick, almost got me and only let them fill up my blinker fluid. stewpid mechanix.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KWIKKAR
You sell stuff based on mileage of the car not on the color of the fluid. Theres your first problem....
No ****. The salemen add on and the stupid extras to rack up each work order.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MEZA TA
So you put no more than 2k on your vehicle and waste your time on alignment checks? You hit curbs all the time or what?
i have a dd so i only put 2k on my car a year. they told me to bring it back every 6 months so that i could keep my tire life up. and the alignment was bad after i got it last time but i had to get to class so i couldnt stay and have them fix it. my steering wheel was off and so was the alignment. i took it back to them to fix their mistake