Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
this is quite debatable... as the cops want an easy target for laser.
the most recent revision to the law states that you cannot cover the plate in a way that makes it harder to read... says nothing about a clear cover (glass windshield)
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodo...f/SB00369F.pdf
From a lawyer, "The officer wouldnt have pulled you over if it was visible, would he?"

The is supposed to be a new law that states that the license plate bolts are for that purpose only. No frames, covers, or anything that isnt a current, state issued plate. The are also trying to limit you to a "stock mounting location."
Old 02-14-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck2
If there is no provision to mount a front plate, it is not required. If you have to drill a hole, you dont have to install it.
oh thats sweet then. my car is on its 3rd bumper, lol. the first one had holes but i had them filled when i had it repainted
Old 02-14-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

If there is no provision to mount a front plate, it is not required. If you have to drill a hole, you dont have to install it.
if this was true then all the vette and t/a guys could just mold their plate filler into the bumper and have it repainted... however, i don't think this will fly with cops
Old 02-14-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
if this was true then all the vette and t/a guys could just mold their plate filler into the bumper and have it repainted... however, i don't think this will fly with cops
the Vette has had provisions for many years, so has the LS1 T/A but the LT1 T/A does not have provisions for a plate like the LS1 T/A does
Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have a link to TX law that states this? everything i see says it has to be there. if you read the link to TX transportation code section 502.404 from my previous post, it just says you commit an offense if you dont have two plates. it doesnt say anything about any way to be grandfathered out of it if your car doesnt have a provision for a front plate.

...doesnt mean i'm not going to use that as an excuse for my 3rd gen, which has no provision . i can at least play stupid and hope to get a warning.

From a lawyer, "The officer wouldnt have pulled you over if it was visible, would he?"

The is supposed to be a new law that states that the license plate bolts are for that purpose only. No frames, covers, or anything that isnt a current, state issued plate. The are also trying to limit you to a "stock mounting location."
i can see them saying that... but a cop can say whatever they want and get away with it. only the rear plate is required to be illuminated, so you could have trouble seeing the front plate regardless of its location

and i can definatley see them passing a law like that.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Teching In

I got a warning friday along with a running red light ticket in the rain. i told him i couldnt stop or i would slide he didnt buy it tho .... told him i had no clue about front license plate deal (not taking my bird off this one) its just something they can hassle you on, and if you've been drinking ... BAM!!
Old 02-15-2010, 12:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
do you have a link to TX law that states this? everything i see says it has to be there. if you read the link to TX transportation code section 502.404 from my previous post, it just says you commit an offense if you dont have two plates. it doesnt say anything about any way to be grandfathered out of it if your car doesnt have a provision for a front plate.

...doesnt mean i'm not going to use that as an excuse for my 3rd gen, which has no provision . i can at least play stupid and hope to get a warning.

i can see them saying that... but a cop can say whatever they want and get away with it. only the rear plate is required to be illuminated, so you could have trouble seeing the front plate regardless of its location

and i can definatley see them passing a law like that.
Its federal law. Federal always supercedes state. They cant make you modify the car to mount a plate. I had to deal with it all the time in my 96 Z28. Only 1 ticket, leaving the dealership after buying it. Idiot gave me a ticket for not having a plate mount in the front. Got dropped when I showed up to enter my plea. My lawyer said it, and the DA in whatever po-dunk town it was said no place to mount it means its not required.

There used to be a law stating that license plates were required to be on the exterior of the vehicle, with "exterior" later being defined as not having anything mounted over, around or enclosing the plate. But that would make any recessed mounting location illegal. With enough money and a good lawyer you can interpret almost any law however you want.

Last edited by Redneck2; 02-15-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:26 AM
10 Second Club

I have my plate in the front windshield. I guess my F.O.P. sticker does help me, lol...

Quick Reply: Front License Plate