What do I need to tow a car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 06:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It costs more than you want to spend, but it will pull anything anywhere you want. I bought it 5 years ago. Gets 13 mpg not towing and 8 towing the 48' trailer with 2 cars in it.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get a 5.7 vortec check the tranny if it's over 100k in miles. Mine blew in my old z71 (96) back in the day, but the 5.7 was pretty solid. I used it for towing and it got alot of Sand driving. Had it back in my college days, used it to tow my 2002 z28 on occassion and it did it well. Nothing like my buddies 5.9L cummins though.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like I should weigh in here, even though my answer will probably not be liked by some of the previous posters. I have had several Chevy/GMC trucks, a 94, 01 and 2-05's, one of which was a 2500. Last year I needed a truck and didn't have one so I started looking and found that in my budget the only GM trucks I could find were either junk or really old or both. I was in the $6500 and under range and had to have a crew cab because of my 2 kids. An extended cab would not do because my daughter was in a carrier at the time and wouldn't fit in the back. I got tired of looking for GM's and finding nothing so I started looking at Ford F150 Supercrews. I was immediately impressed with the amount of trucks in the market with over 250k on them, some knocking at 300 and still running great. I bought my truck (2001 SuperCrew, lariat, loaded) for $6300 with just over 100k on it and have not had a lick of trouble with it. I have towed several times and even with the small V8 it has shown no real signs of strain. I pulled my Trans Am from Katy to League City like nothing when I bought it, have pulled several other cars too.

As far as build quality goes I will say that for trucks I'm converted. This truck, 10 years old with over 130k on it is quieter now than any of my GM trucks were new, that's not an exaggeration. It also has a nicer ride and feels much more solid with no plastic feel to the interior and no tin can sound when you close the doors. I have always hated this body style and only bought this one for financial reasons, never thought I would love it like I do. Look at them, you will understand. My wife even makes fun of me for how much I like this truck that I thought I would hate, it's my favorite out of all the trucks I've had, bar none.

Last edited by slow96z; 02-19-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
iunno if i would tow a car with that... i would if i HAD to but man i guarentee you will go through some rear ends and also trans... not to mention your jeep will be squating like crazy which will make it hard to turn... not the best idea in my opinion... oh and the rating is for the vehicle, even if you were to get a class V hitch you could still only tow 3500lbs... the smallest truck i would ever tow in is a v6 single cab but i cant see it towing that great... that is just my .02 though

thanks man!! i dont feel comfortable as well. i am looking into just getting a truck for towing.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

get a cheap diesel. ive seen some in the 6k area, cant go wrong with a diesel. It will only be a bad idea if you get the mod bug on the truck though lol.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:26 AM
10 Second Fun Car

I found a few on autotrader that were good prices...
Old 02-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Launching!

most cheap diesels have a ton of miles on them tho. have to be careful with that. you dont want a diesel with 300k thats done nothing but pull heavy equipment or somethin of the sort. maintenance starts getting stupid expensive on them. there is less maintenance, but nothing is cheap
Old 02-20-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

ive seen a couple of 02 dodge rams for under 11k with almost 90-100k miles. anybody know if that is fine? its alot of miles, but i need something for towing.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Launching!

90 to 100k is nothin for a diesel. a lot of diesels get overworked, but its pretty easy to tell if they have
Old 02-20-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ls6firebird
90 to 100k is nothin for a diesel. a lot of diesels get overworked, but its pretty easy to tell if they have

the dodge rams i was looking at i dont believe are diesels. they were just regular 1500 4x4 trucks. seen some that looks very good condition besides the high miles.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by That_guy
get a cheap diesel. ive seen some in the 6k area, cant go wrong with a diesel. It will only be a bad idea if you get the mod bug on the truck though lol.
hmm, i havent come across too many in my searches.

i do like to do all my own work on my vehicles, so one of the reasons i like the gas motors, is because they share so many parts with my existing vehicles.

im not completley opposed to the idea of a diesel, its just an unknown thing to me.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Launching!

i bought a 2003 chevy 1500hd with 83k for $12,000. crew cab, loaded, 4x4, truck had everything. i know thats not all what ur lookin for, but if i picked that up for 12, you should be able to find a lower mileage truck for around 10 or better. especially if your willing to settle for a 2wd
Old 02-21-2010, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slow96z
I feel like I should weigh in here, even though my answer will probably not be liked by some of the previous posters. I have had several Chevy/GMC trucks, a 94, 01 and 2-05's, one of which was a 2500. Last year I needed a truck and didn't have one so I started looking and found that in my budget the only GM trucks I could find were either junk or really old or both. I was in the $6500 and under range and had to have a crew cab because of my 2 kids. An extended cab would not do because my daughter was in a carrier at the time and wouldn't fit in the back. I got tired of looking for GM's and finding nothing so I started looking at Ford F150 Supercrews. I was immediately impressed with the amount of trucks in the market with over 250k on them, some knocking at 300 and still running great. I bought my truck (2001 SuperCrew, lariat, loaded) for $6300 with just over 100k on it and have not had a lick of trouble with it. I have towed several times and even with the small V8 it has shown no real signs of strain. I pulled my Trans Am from Katy to League City like nothing when I bought it, have pulled several other cars too.

As far as build quality goes I will say that for trucks I'm converted. This truck, 10 years old with over 130k on it is quieter now than any of my GM trucks were new, that's not an exaggeration. It also has a nicer ride and feels much more solid with no plastic feel to the interior and no tin can sound when you close the doors. I have always hated this body style and only bought this one for financial reasons, never thought I would love it like I do. Look at them, you will understand. My wife even makes fun of me for how much I like this truck that I thought I would hate, it's my favorite out of all the trucks I've had, bar none.
i dont know what kind of chevy/gmc trucks you were driving that were not quite but my 02 has 152K on it and is still running strong, pulls what ever i need it to pull, gets me through the mud when i have to, i LOVE the interiors compared to any flippin ford... fords interior look cheap and have nothing going for them... the king ranches are nice and all but that brown leather fades faster than it sucks on gas... my truck is very quite, i put the stock exhaust back on and all i can hear is my worn out all terrains whining... im not trying to call you out or nothing but those year model fords are ugly in my opiniion... the newers ones are nice on the inside but they dont out-do the new chevy interiors... chevy trucks > ford trucks, camaro's > mustangs.... it's just the way of life... haha jk, but really i wouldnt recomend a ford... pita
Old 02-21-2010, 02:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
i dont know what kind of chevy/gmc trucks you were driving that were not quite but my 02 has 152K on it and is still running strong, pulls what ever i need it to pull, gets me through the mud when i have to, i LOVE the interiors compared to any flippin ford... fords interior look cheap and have nothing going for them... the king ranches are nice and all but that brown leather fades faster than it sucks on gas... my truck is very quite, i put the stock exhaust back on and all i can hear is my worn out all terrains whining... im not trying to call you out or nothing but those year model fords are ugly in my opiniion... the newers ones are nice on the inside but they dont out-do the new chevy interiors... chevy trucks > ford trucks, camaro's > mustangs.... it's just the way of life... haha jk, but really i wouldnt recomend a ford... pita

yep, im looking at an 02-04 dodge ram 1500 or chevy silverado.. the ford F-150 are very ugly looking around those years. ive seen a few for around 12k but with almost 100k + miles on them. i really need it more for towing than anything else. just wondering how reliable they are.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agreed with both of you, until I owned one. But I guess to each his own, just wanted to make sure you heard an option that hadn't been discuessed yet. Good luck with the hunt.

Quick Reply: What do I need to tow a car?