What do I need to tow a car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What do I need to tow a car?

I want to start towing my car to the track. i dont need a monster truck because i will also be using this as my DD so i can fix up my 3rd gen.

i basically am trying to figure out what is the smallest/cheapest truck/suv that will reliably tow a car. 4th gen weighs like 3600 lbs, and i assume a car trailer weighs over 1000, so i assume i need a towing capacity of 5000lbs or better, right?

so far, i've been shopping around for 96+ silverado/sierra and tahoe/yukon with 5.7 or 5.3L motors. i gotta park in city garages and city street parallel parking, so will anything smaller do the job? like a grand cherokee 5.2L, or a silverado/sierra 4.8L? i used to have a grand cherokee 5.2L and loved it, and the grand cherokee has a 5000+ towing capacity, but i hear jeep transmissions suck if you are going to tow any more than VERY occasionally.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How far are you going to be towing? That's the biggest factor. I used to haul my boat/car's around a long way, so I went Diesel. But I have also towed short distances in a cherokee/ford explorer etc.

The longer your wheel base, the smoother the ride will be when your hauling. Hauling in a 2 door yukon beat the crap out of me.

Any v8 will haul what you need. Most v6's will too and you get better mpg when your not hauling. Just don't put it into overdrive when you are hauling.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever you buy, make sure it hs a factory tow package on it. Don't get a stripper truck that has the add ons.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

A tow dolly cuts down on the pulled weight. Just put it on straight, lock the steering and go.

Make sure the tranny is in good health and/or has a trans fluid cooler. Towing creates strain, creates heat, creates boom.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Get you a nice used Cummins, They sell the 4x4 4 door mega cab 2500's around here in Richardson for 20-25. With low decent mileage and in good condition. There quick, and get good mpg on the highway. They are also fun trucks for a DD and if you ever wanted to can be made fast for not to much money. You wouldn't have to really worry about what your towing or how you towed it with one.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have an 03 Tahoe and Hauled cars all over the place, took a 99 Camaro to Oklahoma a while back with it
Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Launching!

if you dont want a diesel, the 5.7s are good. i had a 95 and pulled cars with it all the time great truck, but 96-98 have the vortec 5.7 which is the way to go. i also had an 03 crew cab silverado with the 6.0. it was a great truck, i couldnt even feel cars behind it. it pulled heavy duty trucks too without a problem. also drove amazing and ive never had a more comfortable truck overall. only drawback is 6.0s dont get very good gas mileage. i wasnt impressed with the way the 5.3s pull, but they do the job
Old 02-17-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

What's your budget? I'd go with a 5.3 over a 5.7. My 5.7 Tahoe pulled my 20ft boat on a steel double axle trailer ok, but I know a 5.3 would do better. My hemi Dodge towed the same boat much better than the tahoe. My Cummins pulls it like it's not back there.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by -Ross-
What's your budget? I'd go with a 5.3 over a 5.7. My 5.7 Tahoe pulled my 20ft boat on a steel double axle trailer ok, but I know a 5.3 would do better. My hemi Dodge towed the same boat much better than the tahoe. My Cummins pulls it like it's not back there.
really? the 5.3 i had in a 2001 was a joke, maybe different gearing or just a bad individual truck. as far as gas goes, i loved my 6.0. only got 12mpg but was worth it. pulled crew cab diesels on a heavy duty 20ft trailer. also hauled my 77 3/4 gmc on 38s without any issues at all, other than before i had trailer brakes haha. definately cant go wrong with a cumapart tho! good lookin truck
Old 02-17-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ls6firebird
really? the 5.3 i had in a 2001 was a joke, maybe different gearing or just a bad individual truck. as far as gas goes, i loved my 6.0. only got 12mpg but was worth it. pulled crew cab diesels on a heavy duty 20ft trailer. also hauled my 77 3/4 gmc on 38s without any issues at all, other than before i had trailer brakes haha. definately cant go wrong with a cumapart tho! good lookin truck
Yeah. Gearing makes all the difference. 6.0's are good pullers.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Launching!

if you want luxury and pulling, 03+ chevy or dodge w/ hemi or cummins. both very nice trucks, just comes down to preference. i like the way the chevys drive, but im biased, thats pretty much all ive owned
Old 02-17-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Honestly, for pulling less than 6k pounds, the larger V8 versions of Chevrolet, Dodge or Ford will do just fine. A truck with a stock towing package is a plus, because they usually have better gearing, trans coolers, etc. The benefits of diesels are better towing, better gas mileage (in most cases) and way better resale value.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Domsz06
How far are you going to be towing? That's the biggest factor. I used to haul my boat/car's around a long way, so I went Diesel. But I have also towed short distances in a cherokee/ford explorer etc.
it's about 35 miles to the 1/4mi track.

under $6000. cheaper the better, cuz i really just want this thing to tow, to run errands, and only to DD when my current DD is down for repairs. i've found 5.7L trucks for under $4000 all day... i've found plenty of 5.3's under $6000 too... its just going to be about how many miles am i willing to accept. i'm not going to use it enough to justify the added expense of having something super nice, but dont want a total shitbox either, ya know? i know thats kinda asking a lot for my price range, but i'm sure i'll find a good deal eventually.

my criteria is:
-2wd (i'll never go offroading, so 4x4 just means one more transmission to maintain and worry about breaking, plus less fuel economy)
-ideally GM cuz it'll share maintenance parts with my existing vehicles. i'm not 100% closed to ford/dodge if its an offer i cant refuse
-ideally 96+ (cuz the vortec 5.7L has an extra like 50hp over the TBI 5.7L, and a 96+ truck will be less worries for passing emissions)
-as short as possible, so regular/extended cab and short bed.
-factory class 4 tow hitch/wiring.
-working A/C
Old 02-17-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i have a 02 5.3 silverado and LOVE it... it pull w/e i want with it ive pulled my camaro my buddies camaro a couple of mustangs a gto a 73 cherokee and many more... i have 152K on mine and it runs great!!! my friends g/f found a 02 sierra 4.8 for 9,500 with 100K on it... i would get a 1/2 ton chevy if i were you im biased as well i would never own a ford or dodge truck, i dont wanna bash but they are just junk compared to a chevy (longevity)... BUUUUUT if your budget is a lil bigger than that i would say get a diesel either dodge or chevy... the fords tend to have some injector problems... but that is just my opinion...

oh my truck didnt come stock with the towing package i just put a hitch on there and im still on my stock trans... EEEEEEKSSS!!!! *knock on wood*
Old 02-17-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
it's about 35 miles to the 1/4mi track.

under $6000. cheaper the better, cuz i really just want this thing to tow, to run errands, and only to DD when my current DD is down for repairs. i've found 5.7L trucks for under $4000 all day... i've found plenty of 5.3's under $6000 too... its just going to be about how many miles am i willing to accept. i'm not going to use it enough to justify the added expense of having something super nice, but dont want a total shitbox either, ya know? i know thats kinda asking a lot for my price range, but i'm sure i'll find a good deal eventually.

my criteria is:
-2wd (i'll never go offroading, so 4x4 just means one more transmission to maintain and worry about breaking, plus less fuel economy)
-ideally GM cuz it'll share maintenance parts with my existing vehicles. i'm not 100% closed to ford/dodge if its an offer i cant refuse
-ideally 96+ (cuz the vortec 5.7L has an extra like 50hp over the TBI 5.7L, and a 96+ truck will be less worries for passing emissions)
-as short as possible, so regular/extended cab and short bed.
-factory class 4 tow hitch/wiring.
-working A/C
I'd suggest a 5.7 (Vortec) Silverado with as low miles as you can find that still falls under your budget. It will pull the car just fine. Try to avoid real major hills or mountains and you will be just fine.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd suggest a 5.7 (Vortec) Silverado with as low miles as you can find that still falls under your budget. It will pull the car just fine. Try to avoid real major hills or mountains and you will be just fine.
haha yeah... i was towing a el camino over the HUUUUGE bridge on the eastside of the beltway heading north... HOLY HELL i started the hill at 70 as going up the hill down shifted gave it more and more gas and the rpms kept going up and my MPH kept going down... lol that was horrible if any of you have been on that bridge you understand why... IT'S STEEP!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
haha yeah... i was towing a el camino over the HUUUUGE bridge on the eastside of the beltway heading north... HOLY HELL i started the hill at 70 as going up the hill down shifted gave it more and more gas and the rpms kept going up and my MPH kept going down... lol that was horrible if any of you have been on that bridge you understand why... IT'S STEEP!!!
I towed my 20ft boat (mentioned above) behind my 5.7 Tahoe from Houston to Austin. It started getting uncomfortable in the steep hills around Lake Travis, but "kept on truckin". Those trucks are reliable.

I owned that Tahoe (2000 Limited) from 40k miles to 90k miles and never had to replace anything besides 1 fog light.

Last edited by -Ross-; 02-18-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

OP, good post man!! i am also curious as well. i would like something that can tow my fbody on a trailer. i currently have a 08 V6 jeep grand cherokee. it says the max tow capacity is 3500 LBS.. i am not sure if thats just with the factory hitch. i wonder if i go with a stronger class hitch if it will do the job safely?
Old 02-18-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
OP, good post man!! i am also curious as well. i would like something that can tow my fbody on a trailer. i currently have a 08 V6 jeep grand cherokee. it says the max tow capacity is 3500 LBS.. i am not sure if thats just with the factory hitch. i wonder if i go with a stronger class hitch if it will do the job safely?
iunno if i would tow a car with that... i would if i HAD to but man i guarentee you will go through some rear ends and also trans... not to mention your jeep will be squating like crazy which will make it hard to turn... not the best idea in my opinion... oh and the rating is for the vehicle, even if you were to get a class V hitch you could still only tow 3500lbs... the smallest truck i would ever tow in is a v6 single cab but i cant see it towing that great... that is just my .02 though
Old 02-19-2010, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

an old bronco!

Quick Reply: What do I need to tow a car?