anyone put a 5.3l in a camaro or ta

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by layz
just like the title says anyone every put a 5.3liter in a 1998 to 2002 camaro or ta. if so whats up with it...how it go in and what needs to be done...is it worth it...mods etc...

If your looking to put a 5.3 in talk to my fiancee 1BAD_LS1 on here. i know that he put one in his 98 trans am. talk to him and he might be able to answer your questions. and here is a link to his build thread. this is mod list as well... Boosted 5.3, rmvb th400 with brake, 9" 3.70 posi.........

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...old-turbo.html

hope this helps and good luck
Old 03-08-2010, 09:27 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, it was portrayed as an LS1....I test drove it, and it felt a bit weak, but for the mods on it, I didn't expect much. He lived down a dirt road in New Mexico, so when I went to test drive it and pick it up I could not see the block coloring was off or anything like that. When we put it on the dyno back home in Lubbock, it was way too low on power....so we grabbed a magnet and sure enough, it stuck to the block

If the 5.3L is bored out to 5.7L, then it's alright but still not high on my list of engine combos to purchase/build/run!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

i did it in a v6-v8 conversion just have to dill it for the alt.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
Here is a video of a 5.3 I put in a Camaro just to get it going again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1s9CZhYbs8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCemq0kZTdQ
Originally Posted by kool_chic2
If your looking to put a 5.3 in talk to my fiancee 1BAD_LS1 on here. i know that he put one in his 98 trans am. talk to him and he might be able to answer your questions. and here is a link to his build thread. this is mod list as well... Boosted 5.3, rmvb th400 with brake, 9" 3.70 posi.........

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...old-turbo.html

hope this helps and good luck

did you guys drill and tap the top hole for the alternator bracket? damn how expensive would it have been for GM to drill and tap that one extra hole? like $0.00001 or something a block lol? i saw that brand new 6.0 iron blocks from
GM have that hole already threaded. idk about 5.3's though.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:44 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
did you guys drill and tap the top hole for the alternator bracket? damn how expensive would it have been for GM to drill and tap that one extra hole? like $0.00001 or something a block lol? i saw that brand new 6.0 iron blocks from
GM have that hole already threaded. idk about 5.3's though.
The top image shows the bolt holes in the front that are used for the alternator bracket on an F-body. Next is the iron block. That hole that is marked red on the bottom picture obviously will not be there, because you'd be in a water jacket, sleeve, or other bad spot. The bottom green dot is already there and ready to go, and you have to drill and tap the higher of those green dots. If you don't drill and tap it, you have one bolt on the front and one on the back that secures that small bracket. In my opinion, that is not enough to hold it secure and strong for the long-haul!

I'd be interested in seeing one of these new GM iron 6.0L blocks that is already drilled/tapped....we go through ALOT of these blocks for our builds and have never seen one yet that was already done. GM has had no need to drill/tap them, because the vehicles they come in have never needed that hole for anything (truck alt bracket is in a different location).

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 03-12-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

here is a picture of a brand new LQ9 block(GM PN 12572808) being machined and it already has that hole drilled and tapped.its the only iron block i've seen with the hole there already, but there it is.
Attached Thumbnails anyone put a 5.3l in a camaro or ta-0908gmhtp_03_z-lq9_408_stroker_budget_build-aluminum_block.jpg  
Old 03-12-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gsxr1k2
I dont think 5.3's are that bad. This guy here took a junk 5.3 bored it out to a 346 and did this.... and no the car is not full of high dollar parts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LImnsM9YyAI

awesome!!!
Old 03-12-2010, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
here is a picture of a brand new LQ9 block(GM PN 12572808) being machined and it already has that hole drilled and tapped.its the only iron block i've seen with the hole there already, but there it is.
Interesting, but the shop could have machined that. We use that block part number all the time and they are never drilled. Peculiar indeed!

Old 03-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

ive got a 5.3 in my 83camaro right now an i did it because it was cheap an soooo much better than a carbed or fuel injected 350... all i need is rebuild kit an i swap everything over to my ls1 shortblock... if the car was a v6 an u put a 5.3 cool but i wouldnt waste your money on swaping a stock 5.3 in your ls1 car, just do like the guy above said tune everything down or take it back to stock either or.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

ok. what about G100, the ground thats right above the starter? where did you guys put that? will it reach the starter bolts to attach it between the starter and one of its bolts?

Quick Reply: anyone put a 5.3l in a camaro or ta