whats the easiest way to replace the spark plug wire passenger side in the very rear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Really the hardest part is getting to that flippin bolt on the very back of the coil pack bracket, I just left it out after the first time I got it out. But once thats off the coils come off so easy and its amazingly easier to get to that plug and wire. It opens up more room than you would think if you haven't done it that way before.

Glad you got it done OP, try the coils next time and see which way you like better.
Did the same exact thing on mine. Took of the coil pack bracket and left that stupid last bolt off!!!! Once you do it once it gets easier every time!
Old 04-20-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Charlay
Did the same exact thing on mine. Took of the coil pack bracket and left that stupid last bolt off!!!! Once you do it once it gets easier every time!
When I bought my car that bolt wasn't even on the coil pack bracket.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PERFECT Z28
Well bro, I hope you got to it with having your forearm looking like it got attacked by a cat!

lol
hahaha u hit the nail on the head going from the top looks like my right arm got attacked by a pitbull lol.....
Old 04-21-2010, 09:24 AM
11 Second Club

The joys of having a f-body...lol
Old 04-22-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know why everyone says its easy from the bottom, i can barely get my fingers through the space around my stock headers, i can see the plug, but can't reach it from that little space. I changed all plugs and wires except that one
Old 04-22-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by mike171562
I dont know why everyone says its easy from the bottom, i can barely get my fingers through the space around my stock headers, i can see the plug, but can't reach it from that little space. I changed all plugs and wires except that one
Dont know either, but like has been posted, remove the coil packs from the passenger valve cover ( the complete assembly ) and it opens up all kinds of room and is very easy except the rear bolt that is under the cowling, just leave that bolt off when you put it back together, thats what a lot of people do
Old 04-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Well bro, I hope you got to it with having your forearm looking like it got attacked by a cat!

lol
hahaha thats the truth. i went to fastenal and got them to order me button head bolts to replace all those ones with spikes on the top on the coil brackets. now the cat attack is kept to a minimun i still have the part number if anyone wants it. i guess it could be the cat attack delete mod.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:14 PM
11 Second Club

I repostioned the "spiked" ones to the top of the coil pack.

But having them all the same would be sweet too.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Teching In

The joys of having a f-body...lol
Changing plugs is easy on a F-body compared to my wife's Saturn Vue (Opel 3.0L V6). You have to remove the entire intake manifold to even expose the plugs. Plus, being a German engine, all bolts are Torx so you are buying a new set of sockets as well. I haven't actually done this and the car has 120,000 miles. I'll wait until a coil pack goes out and then change out plugs and coils (the coils are directly on the plugs).

For the Z I've just removed the coil packs and removed the AIR tubes. Not really that difficult but I have skinny arms.

I have to give credit to my old Honda, you could change plugs in about 5 minutes...
Old 04-23-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mike171562

some cars are different. more importantly on a 98 with stock manifolds its nearly impossible where as on the 00+ cars its a breeze.

i take off the coil packs either way