Looking to buy my first handgun, advice welcomed gun guru's!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't necessarily call it a bad thing. More of a trade-off really.

My Ruger .40 can be fired as a double action on the first round without the hammer back. It keeps you from having to pull back the hammer. It is somewhat of a heaver pull, and then after that it's a much lighter pull. If my gun, or any gun was double action for that matter, was always double action all the time then I would probably just have to get use to the pull on it.

Is the pull heavier? I don't know. I do agree with the fact that if I have to really tug to fire a round off that my accuracy would probably not be as good if I wasn't use to it. The tradeoff...it's just another step closer to always being able to prepare to shoot.

Once my CCW arrives in the mail, I plan on carrying with safety on and one in the chamber. If I were in a situation where I had time to hammer back, I would. However, I'm just one safety motion away from being ready to fire if need be.

Originally Posted by Texas Heat
Ok so I was looking more at the XDM .40, and I noticed that it is double action only. Isnt that a bad thing? I thought double action was like a revolver where it basically cocked the hammer with every pull of the trigger.

Correct me if im wrong please, my knowledge of handguns is little.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thatguy383
I love XD's but good luck concealing something that big, you may opt to get a different one if you decide to carry, have fun shooting the XD though it's a sweet setup
The XDMs have a 3.8" now, he shouldnt have a problem hiding that one. A 5" barrel isnt a carry gun OP.

Theyre not exactly a dual action only (DAO) gun, but theyre not single action, theyre kind of in the middle. This is the best explanation I found on it on another forum..

"Like all XDs, the .45 ACP Compact features a unique trigger, which, strictly speaking, wouldn't be classified as double action only. Springfield refers to the action as the Ultra Safety Assurance system. The internal striker is loaded when the slide cycles. The result is a trigger with a relatively short arc; the break is remarkably consistent and measures (usually) around eight pounds or so. It certainly isn't as crisp as a single action, but it is consistent, which solves the usual problem with conventional double-action/ single-action autos--namely having to navigate a heavy, spongy pull and a light, spongy one."
The key to it is still going to be practice, and lots of it. The more you shoot it, the more familiar youll become with the trigger pull, and it wont be an issue. Going to a range an renting some is a good idea for a newb. But if youre like me, you also want something that looks good too.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
To the people that think that a 9mm round is for target practice have you ever been shot with one? Didnt think so, it would hurt like a ****. 9mm has very similiar ballistics to a .40 cal. I like to shoot my guns, thats why I have a 9mm. Buy a .45 and spend 20 bucks for 50 rounds. Buy a 9 and spend 9 bucks for 50 rounds. You can afford to shoot a 9mm, a .45 is more expensive and if you cant afford to shoot it then whats the point, practice is what makes you able to react in situations that hopefully you wont ever have to be in. Also, when everyone freaked out and bought alot of ammo, what was the one round that you could still find? 9mm. I have a 9mm xd. Good gun. Glock makes good guns, they just dont fit in my Oger hands.
Well said. Placement beats power and 9mm hollow points tear **** up.

I have a Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9mm. They also make this weapon in a .40 cal.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Yea go for the 9 mil $9 for 50 rounds and it will take about that many to keep the SOB from getting up. For the Home 12 GA with five OO bucks. The scare facter of jacking a round in the 12 GA pump is unREAL, you start hearing foot steps going away from you.
For CCW use I use a 40 Auto with extended Mags 13-16 rounds, the more the better. NEVER WILL RUN OUT OF AMMO AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Not2Old
Yea go for the 9 mil $9 for 50 rounds and it will take about that many to keep the SOB from getting up.
Sorry. 999,999 times out of 1,000,000 you will not be dealing with Andre The Giant on crystal meth. A 9mm will be just fine.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WstTexas
Trying to keep this on-topic for the OP, but in all seriousness a DE is not a practical everyday carry weapon for 95% of the population. I may be smaller than you, but definitely not average, over 6' tall and over 200lbs as well and strength is not an issue. I have no need to flex my internet muscles. But with that being said, my job allows me to shoot ALOT of weapons, and I based what I said previously from my professional opinion. Your opinion states that bigger is better. Not always the case. Just as I stated in my prior post, we did a bullet penetration test on '64 Impala. No, we didn't have a .44 DE, but I have shot one at the range.

We tested the 9mm, .40 S&W, .45ACP and .357 Sig. Here is how they fared:
Shooting from a 90degree angle, directly at the driver's side door.

9mm: 1 out 10 pentrated door and inside door panel
.40 S&W: 3 out of 10 door and inside door panel
.45ACP: 6 out of 10 door and inside door panel
.357 Sig: 8 out 10 door and inside panel and 3 continued through the passenger door

When needing a penetrating round, such as in my profession, the 45ACP is not top dog, it is the .357 Sig. Sig Sauer P226 DAK .357 Sig is what I carry. Over 12K rounds through it and not 1 jam, stove-pipe or double-feed.

Just trying to show that bigger is not always better, just depends on the usage.

I own weapons in all of the above round sizes. I carry whatever feels comfortable on that day, when I am off-duty.

I was simply trying to give the op an un-biased, objective opinion that can be backed with real-life situtations and proven field testing.

If you feel the need to carry a "Matrix" weapon, so be it. Good luck concealing it unless you are 6'5" and 230lbs, .

Wow thanks for sharing your expert opinion........

My point is pick a gun that has the most knockdown power you can shoot with comfort and reliability. Mine just so happens to be a DE .44. That's all I was saying...then you went on a tangent about all your great experience in weapons.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by za355tx
Wow thanks for sharing your expert opinion........

My point is pick a gun that has the most knockdown power you can shoot with comfort and reliability. Mine just so happens to be a DE .44. That's all I was saying...then you went on a tangent about all your great experience in weapons.
Please get it right, "professional opinion" not "expert opinion" . Yes, there is a difference and at no point did I suggest I was an expert, merely stated my experiences and did not mention at all that they were great.

OP wanted opinions, I also happened to back mine up with facts. Yours is still just an opinion and you have every right to have your own, that is what makes this country great. Well that and the right to bear arms.

Your point is to pick the handgun with the most stopping power. My point is that there is more to consider than just stopping power.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:32 AM
Staging Lane

You said home defense and my suggestion would be the Taurus Judge as well. Shotshells will not penetrate walls minumizing collateral damage (loved ones in other rooms) and will turn someone into hamburger meat at close range. I also believe if its your first handgun, being a double action revolver can be a good thing as the only thing you have to do to fire it is point and pull the trigger. As mentioned earlier in the thread the addition of .45 lc in a couple of chambers may come in handy for longer ranges or if the shotshells dont get the point across.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:46 AM
Banned

Well im not 6'5, 230lbs, but I am 6'4 245lbs LOL.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

For home defense I love my XD45. I can quick draw it off my back, double tap, and hit a target dead center with both rounds landing within 2-3" of each other. It's a very accurate gun and very easy to control. My only problem with it is it's size for CC. I'm a small framed guy, so hiding a big gun would require me to walk around in thug gear..lol. Even the XD-m 3.8 .40 is considerably larger and heavier than a comparible Glock subcompact.

So basically my vote is XD-m 45 for Home defense.
Small glock for CC.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Banned

As far as this guns purpose it would be a home defense/in the car on roadtrips. I cant keep it in the car daily because I am military and cannot bring a weapon on Ft Hood.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Pimp

Set some ground mines around the house, then use the bazzoka if they get past the dogs and wire fence.

Seriously though, my sig has never missed a beat. Not one time has it not fired every bullet without issue. I know I can shoot it all day then put one more clip in it and it will fire every round like clock work. Who else in here can say that? Besides wst texas who said he has had similar results with his.. To me that's the most important thing, if I need it it WILL fire everytime. Get the gun that you like, but know not all guns are going to be there for you when you need them. That being said if you don't want any issues with firing buy a revolver.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Holy Hell! That judge at close range with .410 shot shells is NUTS!!! Look at 1:40 mark on video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNFJu...layer_embedded
Old 04-30-2010, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Look on the streets you can find one from some lowlife with that the SN already scratched out. Nothing to fancy that you might want to keep!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a little reading for you judge lovers. link

I am not knocking them i have one. After reading the results i was a little disappointed. but regardless if you were in a vehicle and needed to quickly point and shoot at a close range like it is useful.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by _Zac
Set some ground mines around the house, then use the bazzoka if they get past the dogs and wire fence.

Seriously though, my sig has never missed a beat. Not one time has it not fired every bullet without issue. I know I can shoot it all day then put one more clip in it and it will fire every round like clock work. Who else in here can say that? Besides wst texas who said he has had similar results with his.. To me that's the most important thing, if I need it it WILL fire everytime. Get the gun that you like, but know not all guns are going to be there for you when you need them. That being said if you don't want any issues with firing buy a revolver.
I have done this with my PX4, so Ill raise my hand too.

The 20,000 round battery test on the XD makes me think that the XD could do it too.

Dont get me wrong though, Sig has a reputation that as far as I can tell, is rightly deserved.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
I have done this with my PX4, so Ill raise my hand too.

The 20,000 round battery test on the XD makes me think that the XD could do it too.

Dont get me wrong though, Sig has a reputation that as far as I can tell, is rightly deserved.
I agree the Xd is an awesome gun. Sig is a great gun. My wifes cousin is a Dps trooper and all they can carry is a Sig in the .357 caliber. Must be junk guns if Dps carries them, not!
Old 04-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Launching!

I have owned Glocks for 20+ years. No better handgun available for the price! Absolutely reliable, fire consistently without cleaning(which I don't recommend) and have been through every torture test known to man. They are the best all around for defense
Old 04-30-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by texas99Z28
I have owned Glocks for 20+ years. No better handgun available for the price! Absolutely reliable, fire consistently without cleaning(which I don't recommend) and have been through every torture test known to man. They are the best all around for defense
I owned a Glock 27 for 10 years. There may be none better, but there are comperable. Functionality was no different as a "home defense" firearm than my current XD or my wife's P239. They all get cleaned when dirty. The other pistols I now have just fit my hand better. I'm more accurate with them, and so is my wife. Between the two of us, we've probably put 500-600 rounds through both pistols w/out an issue. She never like shooting the Glock because it just didn't fit her. As for price, my XD was cheaper than what I've been seeing comperable Glocks go for (w/out a LEO discount). Plus the break down on the XD and Sig are easier for my wife. Its hard to beat having pistols that your spouse can handle if needed.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WstTexas
Please get it right, "professional opinion" not "expert opinion" . Yes, there is a difference and at no point did I suggest I was an expert, merely stated my experiences and did not mention at all that they were great.

OP wanted opinions, I also happened to back mine up with facts. Yours is still just an opinion and you have every right to have your own, that is what makes this country great. Well that and the right to bear arms.

Your point is to pick the handgun with the most stopping power. My point is that there is more to consider than just stopping power.
Alright man no point in taking this any further. Let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

OP good luck with finding the right protection for you. We all hope we never have to use guns on someone but if you have to it's great to know we can defend ourselves.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first handgun, advice welcomed gun guru's!