Looking to buy my first handgun, advice welcomed gun guru's!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy my first handgun, advice welcomed gun guru's!

Ok so I have decided to finally pick up a handgun, have a couple rifles and a shotgun already. While the 30.06 is good for hunting, it is not so good for home defense lol.

So im looking for something like a .45, no 9mm stuff. Any advice on what to look for?

And anyone looking to sell anything since I am in the market?
Old 04-28-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

.45 is a good round. .40 is also good for all around shooting. the argument that bigger is better doesn't really matter in all honesty as long as you have the proper rounds! any caliber is useless if you can't shoot.

figure out what size round you are wanting, semi-auto vs. revolver, then go shoot different makes and models and see what you like the best without listening to others' biases. if its strictly for home defense, .45 wouldn't be a bad choice but .40 is also a good round. Springfield, Glock, S&W are good manufacturers as are Colt and Kimber but they are also expensive. the 1911 is an AWESOME pistol and manufactured by all kinds.

the glock is a great gun and is the cheapest out of all the major semi-auto manufacturers and kind of set the scene initially for reliability; however all major manufacturers are good these days...except Taurus, unless you get a Judge (Revolver)!!!! Judge (load it up with 2 .410 shotgun rounds and 3 .45 long colt) is badass but is really meant more for close quarters/vehicle defense.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:56 PM
RCC
On The Tree

The best way to find the best handgun for you is go to a gunshop and handle a few to see what feels natural to you. You are fixing to get alot of suggestions saying buy a Glock, buy a XD, buy a Sig, or buy a 1911. I am a fan of 1911's first and foremost and then I have quite a few XD'S. I highly dislike sigs, and glocks dont fit me right.You have to figure out what you like and go from there, if its mainly home defense I would buy a revolver as they never fail. I do like that you are looking for a .45, .40 is also a good round, 9mm is for target practice.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

I just picked up a Beretta PX4 Storm not too long ago in .40S&W. Ill recommend it, no problem.
http://www.px4storm.com/

At the time I was debating about the Springfield XDM, but it was only in 5" at the time, bigger than I wanted. It will be the next gun I buy for myself. Now they have the XDM 3.8 out in 9mm and .40S&W.
http://www.the-m-factor.com/

Cant go wrong with Sig either, I just cant recommend anything personally. I dont like Glocks, although Im sure many will disagree.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Teching In

XD fan here, best .45 I shot. I was a big fan of the 1911's but the price range on the XD and how it shot sold me on it.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

Are you looking for home defense or ccw?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ill make it into cliffs:

good makers:
colt
sig
s&w
springfield(gotta love the XD-m)

my fav calibers in order:
.357 sig

remember experts make adjustments so buying a gun with adj sights and grips is always prefered. down side being that **** is $$$. now us experienced shooters can hit center mass with out ever even glancing at the sights. so with experience it literally becomes a point and shoot type thing. but that takes lots of practice, practice=ammo, ammo=$$$.

just my .02

btw **** 9mm. its been proven an inferior round, ballistically speaking. but thats a whole other can of worms.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:29 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

My vote is anything .40 cal that is made decent, it is up to you to find what feels best in your hand, the Springfield has taken the heart of many in the fast 5 years or so, that speaks for itself even though i dont own one yet.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
I just picked up a Beretta PX4 Storm not too long ago in .40S&W. Ill recommend it, no problem.
http://www.px4storm.com/

At the time I was debating about the Springfield XDM, but it was only in 5" at the time, bigger than I wanted. It will be the next gun I buy for myself. Now they have the XDM 3.8 out in 9mm and .40S&W.
http://www.the-m-factor.com/

Cant go wrong with Sig either, I just cant recommend anything personally. I dont like Glocks, although Im sure many will disagree.
Thank you, I think im in love.
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/...armory-xdm-40/

And I think I want it like this:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_i9XcNg33JR...smallright.jpg

Last edited by Texas Heat; 04-28-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Banned

Ok would yall get this:
http://www.glockworld.com/item/85375...9QpfbOC9z2A%3d

or this:
http://www.glockworld.com/item/71495..._G21SF_45.aspx
Old 04-28-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

http://springfield-armory.primediaou.../SPstory11.php
Old 04-28-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

I would personally stay away from Glocks but I don't like how they feel in my hand. Depending on your budget, I'd suggest an XD-M in .40 or .45 or an H&K USP if you've got a little more $$.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my glocks.

I have the Glock 21sf and Glock 30
both are 45 cal
Old 04-28-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Personally my feelings are get the biggest caliber you can comfortably shoot. Mine happens to be a .44 desert eagle. If I had the money my next handgun would be a Smith and Wesson .45 or a Springfield .45. With the longest barrel you can get. I'm not sure if the S&W makes a .45 in a 5 inch barrel but I know Springfield makes one.

If you're only worried about home defense though...get a shotgun. It won't go through the walls into your neighbors house but it will destroy anyone thinking they are going to waltz on in to your house. Plus you can get a shotgun that will do the job for cheap. Mossberg sells a 12 gauge for like $200 and up.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:05 PM
RCC
On The Tree

In my opinion the best of the polymer pistol is the XD45 Tactical with thumb safety. Makes it almost impossible to accidently shoot yourself in the junk when CC.

If money is not an issue, by a quality 1911, Im partial to Springfields and Kimbers in 45 and 10mm.

For home defense I prefer shotguns FN SLP 12ga

A good revolver is always hard to beat

Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Having been in active shooting situations and speaking from experience:

Home Defense: Tactical shotgun equipped with some sort of flashlight/tactical light. ( Can't carry a flashlight and shotgun through a dark house and use it effectively) If you have never been in an active shooting situation, when the sh** hits the fan, your fine motor skills go out the window.

Best round for overall penetration: .357 sig
( We did a penetration test on a '64 Impala with all available pistol rounds)

Best overall stopping power: .45 ACP

Most round capacity: 9mm

Full Size : Best accuracy

Sub-compact - Best concealable

Compact - Average of Sub and full size

Figure out what you need this weapon for and get it based on potential use. Whatever you get practice, practice, practice and when you feel proficient, practice some more.

When you practice, do not just stand in front of the target everyday and shoot. Move and shoot, lay down and shoot, kneel and shoot. Shoot strong handed, shoot weakhanded, shoot two-handed, shoot one-handed. In a real shooting situation ANYTHING can and will happen.

BTW, a .44 Desert Eagle is a good thing to show off at the range, but impractical for everyday use.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

.600 nitro express handgun. nothing says self protection like splitting a would be carjacker in half with one shot! and i prefer a weapon you only have to fire once.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Very good un-biased advice below. I recently picked up my 1st hangun too. I chose a Ruger P94 .40. A lot of people like the XD's. It truly is what you like. I found that my Ruger is a little to big for concealed, so I'll be buying another one.

I also got a Marlin 22LR for plinking. I plan on a hunting style rifle and shotgun added to my collection as well.

..be careful, it's addicting.

Originally Posted by WstTexas
Having been in active shooting situations and speaking from experience:

Home Defense: Tactical shotgun equipped with some sort of flashlight/tactical light. ( Can't carry a flashlight and shotgun through a dark house and use it effectively) If you have never been in an active shooting situation, when the sh** hits the fan, your fine motor skills go out the window.

Best round for overall penetration: .357 sig
( We did a penetration test on a '64 Impala with all available pistol rounds)

Best overall stopping power: .45 ACP

Most round capacity: 9mm

Full Size : Best accuracy

Sub-compact - Best concealable

Compact - Average of Sub and full size

Figure out what you need this weapon for and get it based on potential use. Whatever you get practice, practice, practice and when you feel proficient, practice some more.

When you practice, do not just stand in front of the target everyday and shoot. Move and shoot, lay down and shoot, kneel and shoot. Shoot strong handed, shoot weakhanded, shoot two-handed, shoot one-handed. In a real shooting situation ANYTHING can and will happen.

BTW, a .44 Desert Eagle is a good thing to show off at the range, but impractical for everyday use.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

god damn RCC, what ever it is you do for a living i need to look into...
Old 04-28-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

To the people that think that a 9mm round is for target practice have you ever been shot with one? Didnt think so, it would hurt like a ****. 9mm has very similiar ballistics to a .40 cal. I like to shoot my guns, thats why I have a 9mm. Buy a .45 and spend 20 bucks for 50 rounds. Buy a 9 and spend 9 bucks for 50 rounds. You can afford to shoot a 9mm, a .45 is more expensive and if you cant afford to shoot it then whats the point, practice is what makes you able to react in situations that hopefully you wont ever have to be in. Also, when everyone freaked out and bought alot of ammo, what was the one round that you could still find? 9mm. I have a 9mm xd. Good gun. Glock makes good guns, they just dont fit in my Oger hands.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first handgun, advice welcomed gun guru's!