what happen to MTI

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you Tony, for both explaining it with good detail and being a grown adult about it. n77nxc, learn from Tony, you wont look like such an *** next time.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
thank you Tony, for both explaining it with good detail and being a grown adult about it. n77nxc, learn from Tony, you wont look like such an *** next time.
Hate to break it bud, but I'm not the one looking like an ***.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:40 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

Well back when I started tuning all I heard about was how good MTI was and blah blah blah, so I took my truck to them to get it tuned as it was a H/C truck and I was learning from scratch, as to my surprise the only thing they changed was the timeing table, droped it down 3* from where I had it from 4000 to 7000 thats it for 500 bucks wippity doo daa.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Is Phil from CXI off of lock yet? Or is he still doing time?
That guy hosed me on 2k worth of work when I was 17 on my 2v mustang. I'll never forget that POS off of highway 6.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:40 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by v8
Well back when I started tuning all I heard about was how good MTI was and blah blah blah, so I took my truck to them to get it tuned as it was a H/C truck and I was learning from scratch, as to my surprise the only thing they changed was the timeing table, droped it down 3* from where I had it from 4000 to 7000 thats it for 500 bucks wippity doo daa.
Maybe that is all your truck needed? Tunes are always a flat rate with most shops. It is the price you pay for using their dyno, their software, and their experience. Can't bitch about them doing more or less on a tune, each vehicle simply gets what it needs.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:35 AM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Maybe that is all your truck needed? Tunes are always a flat rate with most shops. It is the price you pay for using their dyno, their software, and their experience. Can't bitch about them doing more or less on a tune, each vehicle simply gets what it needs.
it needed alot more than that, it wouldn't idle,hard to start,surged alot, this is why I never posted about them.

Last edited by v8; 05-09-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I never had a problem with them. Only one time when my retune price changed from $150 to $250. Reason being was because I went from a cam & bolt-ons to stroker. Not sure how valid that is, but a retune is retune as your modding along.

Either way I never had any issue with there service or tunes.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

I never dealt with MTI but i did with Icon and I would never take my car back to them.Mike is shady and full of lies by far the worst shop ive dealt with.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by o2ws8
I never dealt with MTI but i did with Icon and I would never take my car back to them.Mike is shady and full of lies by far the worst shop ive dealt with.

wow, that is pretty surprising.. i hear nothing but the great work about Mike.

as for MTI, i think my car was the last car ever tuned at MTI. It was great to work with them...hell i remember seeing NineBalls sick viper sitting on the lift. Alot of sick cars waiting to get worked on. i also had a chance to meet jayson.. seen him finish tuning one car, and then get out and tune the next..no break in between. very impressed with MTI. sucks that they closed doors.

also, other than customers bringing in jacked up cars for MTI to work on, i think MTI closed doors as jayson just got tired of tuning and working 6 days straight long hours.. especially they been around for almost 12-15 years!!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:01 PM
11 Second Club

MTI used to build some sick cars I remember 4-5 years back

SW's black 9sec C5 FRC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO9DK...eature=related

Larry (Pain) low 10sec N/A Formula.

Tony's 434ci mid 10s N/A 6speed Formula.

No Mercy's ZO6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH5O5...ext=1&index=52

Stacey Barnett's M6 422ci 9sec.

Colonel's 422ci N/A 9sec.

And a lot more hell we have a lot of cars build by MTI here in Saudi Arabia ....

Old 05-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Is Phil from CXI off of lock yet? Or is he still doing time?
his grand son posted up on a forum cant remember which one is was but he said phil and judy went back to france, i worked for him for about three months one summer and didnt take me very long to realize that he was a crook, he would sell used take off slp cat backs from firehawk and ss's as new, and i remeber a customer buying a set of custom HRE wheels and Phil sold his stock vette rims before the guy had a chance to come get them (i remember cause i got chewed out over the whole deal by the customer), we had a 383 c5 that CXI built and installed the motor in come back for a new clutch cause the old one was making a noise after we tore it all down i noticed that the crank only had 3 good bolts in it and the rest were twisted off he instucted us n ot to say anything and to just do the clutch and send it out the door. that was the day me and my tools saw CXI for the last time. Phil is shady as hell i hope his *** stays in france if thats where hes really at.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:58 AM
11 Second Club

Damn, I haven't even thought about MTI in a long time. I didn't spend a lot of money in there, but they did do the first tune on my old Z. They always treated me good but I felt more comfortable w/G-force. If I ever get back in the "game" I will again spend my money with G-force.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:03 AM
TECH Regular

MTI always treated me right even on my old car when i just drove down to buy a lid.. they talked to me for a couple hours and helped me out a shitload..

they even stayed late to put on my lid for me for free and alwayss helped me fix even minor problems with my car.. and im still running on my MTI tune haha
Old 05-22-2010, 11:23 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

I had my '94 Z28 tuned by MTI way back in the day (1997) when they were one of the only places you could go for an LT1 PCM dyno tune. I had just done a cam install and had a local guy hand port the stock heads, so I drove down from Fort Hood to get the PCM tune for those mods. Jayson personally tuned my car, took his time, and jumped in with me to have me drive it around on the street after the WOT runs on the dyno. He made a few tweaks for part throttle, etc based on that and it turned out to be a good tune.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:30 PM
Teching In

Jayson of MTI was always a very honest and straight up shop owner. I met him in ~95 or 96 when they had a small place and kept going back for 10 years. I recall a tech named Jeff that had a mean turbo mustang, he did such awesome fab work for my car even though it wasn't a piston car. Toward the end the shop got somewhat cold, the employees were just not friendly like in the old days and it just didn't feel like anyone was having fun anymore. Oh well.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by twokrx7
Jayson of MTI was always a very honest and straight up shop owner. I met him in ~95 or 96 when they had a small place and kept going back for 10 years. I recall a tech named Jeff that had a mean turbo mustang, he did such awesome fab work for my car even though it wasn't a piston car. Toward the end the shop got somewhat cold, the employees were just not friendly like in the old days and it just didn't feel like anyone was having fun anymore. Oh well.
I actually bought his Mustang last week... Its going to get my SBF and an 88mm installed here in the next 2 weeks
Old 05-24-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by twokrx7
thats when they wer still on wetheimer i think. before the huge place on dairy ashford. seems like eveything changed when they got big place. besides make more money obviously. wasnt the same no more. first time i went there. i was still in school.
my unc got parts for his 95 lt1 z28, think it was a cai and some other small parts
Old 05-24-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
I actually bought his Mustang last week... Its going to get my SBF and an 88mm installed here in the next 2 weeks
Bad Chad, not sure if it was the same mustang jayson was talking about. but i asked him out of all the customers cars he worked on which was one of his favorites..surprisingly he said a mustang.. he said they would drive it down to the track, kick everybody's butts then drive it home, while everybody trailered there cars..LOL..
Old 05-24-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
Bad Chad, not sure if it was the same mustang jayson was talking about. but i asked him out of all the customers cars he worked on which was one of his favorites..surprisingly he said a mustang.. he said they would drive it down to the track, kick everybody's butts then drive it home, while everybody trailered there cars..LOL..
I bought Jeff's old twin turbo Mustang. I have been talking with Patrick because they are wanting to buy it back but I told them I already sold my Chassis and I need another one to put my drive-train in. Its the Green and Silver Car...
Old 05-24-2010, 10:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
I bought Jeff's old twin turbo Mustang. I have been talking with Patrick because they are wanting to buy it back but I told them I already sold my Chassis and I need another one to put my drive-train in. Its the Green and Silver Car...
The cars a Houston classic, was going as fast if not faster back in the mid/late 90s then a lot of the heavy hitters are now. Post some pictures of it, havent seen that car since he sold it.

Quick Reply: what happen to MTI