Working on Car in a Storage Unit Do's and Don'ts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Working on Car in a Storage Unit Do's and Don'ts?

I need to get a storage unit for about a month so that I can change my head gasket inside somewhere rather than doing it out in the open so dust and a whole bunch of other junk doesn't get into my cylinders and stuff. my apartment complex doesn't allow car maintenance on the property and I dont want to test them and get my car towed. They have garages but don't do them month to month so I am kind of screwed there too.

so for the people who either store their cars in a storage unit or work on their cars in a storage unit, any tips or pointers? I made my first mistake by telling a place that I was actually going to work on it so they killed that idea pretty quick.

-Are the best locks to buy the round disc-shaped locks? I hear that thieves can't use bolt cutters on those but have to use a grinder instead, which would require a lot more work. Sounds about right to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2010, 07:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah the disc type locks are the best.

I wouldnt try it in a storage unit. Usually they only have power to the lights no outlets for anything else.
Find someone with a garage to use for a few days, or pay someone to do it for you.

What all are you doing just head gaskets?
Old 05-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

I did this once in San Antonio and it worked out fine. Just get one of those light sockets that has a pull string with recepticles on either side. remove the bulb and install it. Tell the company its for car vehicle storage. Dont say another word. Worst case scenerio have someone drop you off there when you get all you **** together. Remember all of them have cameras. try to do the work during the week, less in and out traffic. We used to do all kinds of crap there, I even found others doing the same, cabinet builders,fishing pole builders ect.. You should be alright, just spend a day or 2 goofing around in the unit you rented to get a feel of the place.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

hell we had this down to a two hour process on my buddies car we did it so many times.

As far as security. All i have to say is we have about 300 units and yea a disk lock is the best but the lock don't matter to the thief.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by QuickSilver
Yeah the disc type locks are the best.

I wouldnt try it in a storage unit. Usually they only have power to the lights no outlets for anything else.
Find someone with a garage to use for a few days, or pay someone to do it for you.

What all are you doing just head gaskets?
ya pretty much. I have stripped threads on a header bolt hole and will be pulling that head to take to the machine shop for repair.

thanks for the tip on the locks. i'll be picking up two shortly.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

i use to do this a long long time ago before i had access to my own shop or freinds with lifts. i usually had to wait till after 8 pm when management left. however be very careful with this. because if some freak accident happens you will end up liable for it. to me the risk outweighs the benefits
Old 05-18-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1c62nv
Just get one of those light sockets that has a pull string with recepticles on either side. remove the bulb and install it.
could you elaborate on this for me please, like with a website to a certain product? I think I know what you are talking about, but I am not positive.

are you talking about something like this where you just unplug what they have in the electrical outlet and then plug in my stuff or something different?
Old 05-18-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
i use to do this a long long time ago before i had access to my own shop or freinds with lifts. i usually had to wait till after 8 pm when management left. however be very careful with this. because if some freak accident happens you will end up liable for it. to me the risk outweighs the benefits
ya i'd hate to have an employee or something find out what i am doing and then fine the hell out of me.

i'd like to do it in a garage but I dont know anyone with an open garage in my area. i moved out to Hutto for work. They only people I know with an open garage are SiL3NtXWS6 and TWS and from what I have seen, Silent's garage space is accounted for and so is TWS'. I already borrorwed TWS' torque wrench, I don't think that I can borrow much more lol!
Old 05-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jdoyle
could you elaborate on this for me please, like with a website to a certain product? I think I know what you are talking about, but I am not positive.

are you talking about something like this where you just unplug what they have in the electrical outlet and then plug in my stuff or something different?
No,it has light bulb threads on one end and will allow a bulb to be screwed in the other. In the middle is usually 2 receps. one on each side. If I remember correctly I got it at an Ace hardware store. It has a pull chain on it to turn the light on and off once its screwed in the light socket.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would pull the light fixture and replace it with a regular outlet, then plug in one of those 8 way outlet splitters in there and use the center screw that comes with it to secure it. Then I would plug in several flourescent shop lights and a couple of ext. cords and fans. The lights and outlet/splitters are cheap and can be found at WalMart. This would give you the much needed light in there. extra outlets for tools plus some air flow.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Depending on what your budget is, the Private Mini storage places have office warehouse space for rent on a monthly basis, and you could do what you needed to without having to hide it. believe it is 500 or so a month for a 10 x 35 unit with a 10 x 17 office with AC.. electric is included.

might be more than you want to spend, but you won't have to sneak around, and you will have 24 hr access in a secure facility.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jdoyle
ya pretty much. I have stripped threads on a header bolt hole and will be pulling that head to take to the machine shop for repair.

thanks for the tip on the locks. i'll be picking up two shortly.
A stripped exhaust header bolt?
Old 05-19-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1c62nv
No, it has light bulb threads on one end and will allow a bulb to be screwed in the other. In the middle is usually 2 receps. one on each side. If I remember correctly I got it at an Ace hardware store. It has a pull chain on it to turn the light on and off once it’s screwed in the light socket.
I think I know what you are talking about now. I unscrew their light bulb and thread in the light bulb end and that is my power source. The only bummer is that I think that the place that I am looking at right now doesn’t have electricity in the unit at all.
Originally Posted by slow96z
I would pull the light fixture and replace it with a regular outlet, then plug in one of those 8 way outlet splitters in there and use the center screw that comes with it to secure it.
Sounds like a good idea. Got any links to this?
Originally Posted by Gipraw
Depending on what your budget is, the Private Mini storage places have office warehouse space for rent on a monthly basis, and you could do what you needed to without having to hide it. believe it is 500 or so a month for a 10 x 35 unit with a 10 x 17 office with AC.. electric is included.
might be more than you want to spend, but you won't have to sneak around, and you will have 24 hr access in a secure facility.
Thanks for the idea, but that is out of my budget.
Originally Posted by THE SHOP
A stripped exhaust header bolt?
The threads that the bolt thread into are gone.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a good idea. Got any links to this?
I don't have any links but if you look at the electrical stuff at WalMart you will see an outlet expander that plugs into a standard receptacle and secures with a screw where the cover plate would normally screw in. Get that, a standard wall receptacle and a few of the fluorescent "Shop Light" fixtures and bulbs. Next, go to the storage and unscrew the light bulb in the ceiling. Remove the 2 screws holding the fixture to the box (this assumes the light fixture is one of the cheap ceramic ones that most places use) and pull it down. Wear gloves and use insulated tools if you cannot turn off power to the light, do not touch the bare parts of the wires with your hands!!! Next, put the wires from the light fixture on the receptacle, the black wire is the "hot" wire and goes on the side where the screws are gold, the white wire is the "neutral" and goes on the side where the screws are silver. The bare copper wire (if there) is the ground and goes on the green screw on the outlet. Once you have these connected screw the outlet into the holes that the light fixture was screwed into. Now plug the expander in the receptacle and screw it in. Hang up your lights wherever you want them, put the bulbs in them and plug them in. If there was a light switch turn it on, if not they should come on automatically.

Plug the extension cords into spare outlets and enjoy.

Note that the circuit is likely only prepared to handle about 10 amps of draw so try not to run a hammer drill, cage fan and compressor all at once. Keep the tool usage to a minimum and you should be fine.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Our get a bunch of guys you trust to chip in for a small airport hanger. I know I'd be down for it.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
Our get a bunch of guys you trust to chip in for a small airport hanger. I know I'd be down for it.
how much would that be? o.o
Old 05-20-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ws6kid.
how much would that be? o.o
Not a clue, but some of the guys don't use their full hangar and a few cars being worked on still takes up less room than a plane. I'll swing by Hooks Airport after work and look around.

Plus a runway would make a damn good testing ground

Shoot me a PM with space requirements and length of time if interested.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
Not a clue, but some of the guys don't use their full hangar and a few cars being worked on still takes up less room than a plane. I'll swing by Hooks Airport after work and look around.

Plus a runway would make a damn good testing ground

Shoot me a PM with space requirements and length of time if interested.
ya know there is/was (i dunno) a kit car company up in the DFDub that is setup exactly that way, my father and I were looking at a kit car Shelby Cobra for my first ride, went to visit dads brother in dallas and swung by for a look see, they had a finished one, all motor 351 windsor, cobra r wheels, t56. quick phone call cleared it with control tower, out to the runway and WOT WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO lol. def an awsome setup for a shop and T&T area.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:13 PM

Hmm.. i think you should get a storage unit if available and cheap otherwise go for garage. I had booked a storage unit for Truck rental in Vancouver, WA. there i have seen many people to working on their car. I never did this by myself, rather i always get a man who can do this for me.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had to resort to working on my car at night in the apartment parking lot to avoid getting caught, and even business parking lots. So I know how it is, it sucks not having somewhere to work on your stuff. If you can find a relatively quiet loading dock or something, I would do it there.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about dust or anything being outside. I changed the head gaskets on my truck outside, doing it in the rain no less. If you've never done them before, give yourself a solid 2 days to finish, and an extra day just in case.

Quick Reply: Working on Car in a Storage Unit Do's and Don'ts?