Working + federal holiday = fail

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Location: Just because the voices aren't real, doesn't mean they're not right!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdave619
Does it suck to be at work on a holiday yes. But I am thankful for a job. I'm just a bit disturbed that so many people and companies are having to work today like it's just another day. I personally think it's disrespectful to not honor this day and remember those who gave all for us to have the liberties and freedoms that we do. That's why I'm bothered. Have me work Easter or some other bs holiday like Halloween. But if there is a purpose behind the holiday then give the respect where respect is due
Originally Posted by thesource
The country cannot come to a halt so that everyone can BBQ, drink beer and complain about how shitty their jobs are the rest of the year. Cops, fireman, store clerks, restraunts, grocery stores and everything else we take for granted are all ran by people. Unless you'd prefer them to ran by people other than Americans, someone, somewhere must work on days that others get to enjoy off. Its just the way it is............ .
I agree.

Also curious as to when Easter and Halloween became "holidays", "bs" or otherwise.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigdave619
So I know I'm not thebonly person workig on a federal holiday. Yeah it's time and a half on my pay check.... But seriously it's a freaking holiday to remember those that have gave it all for our freedom. Me being a vet it's kinda of a important holiday to get together with army buddies and bs about our boys that didn't make it back.

I understand that most are off and it's a time to make money but damn can't companies show a little respect by giving the day off to remember what this days about. Just bugs the hell out of me that so many people have forgotten the real reason behind today.that it's just a day to go to the lak and drink and BBQ or do whatever....keep in mind what the day is really for

End rant

Double Time and a Half FTW! I would work every holiday if I could.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thesource
The country cannot come to a halt so that everyone can BBQ, drink beer and complain about how shitty their jobs are the rest of the year. Cops, fireman, store clerks, restraunts, grocery stores and everything else we take for granted are all ran by people. Unless you'd prefer them to ran by people other than Americans, someone, somewhere must work on days that others get to enjoy off. Its just the way it is............

That sucks ***.......... you need to tell the manager to bring that deal back. It was awesome.
Lol I am one of the managers. We're corporate though, so all we do is jump through hoops. We just started another good deal though so you should stop by. Let me know when you're coming in
Old 06-01-2010, 10:22 AM
10 Second Club

Not to brag but I was off but still got paid. Gotta love it.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 402GOAT
Not to brag but I was off but still got paid. Gotta love it.
Ummm, ALL Federal workers (with few exceptions and they get to take it at a later date) got the day off with pay (that's called a "designated holiday"). Federal workers get EVERY Federal holiday off with pay. What's your point?

If you work for a private company that designates Memorial Day as one of it's paid holidays, great for you and your co-workers.

Memorial Day is a Federal holiday, not a National Holiday, but even if it were, it's up to private business as whether or not they will observe it.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Junkie

pulled a 13 hr shift; hospitals dont close for holidays... lolz
Old 06-01-2010, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by All-In
Ummm, ALL Federal workers (with few exceptions and they get to take it at a later date) got the day off with pay (that's called a "designated holiday"). Federal workers get EVERY Federal holiday off with pay. What's your point?

If you work for a private company that designates Memorial Day as one of it's paid holidays, great for you and your co-workers.

Memorial Day is a Federal holiday, not a National Holiday, but even if it were, it's up to private business as whether or not they will observe it.
Blah blah blah blah blah and blah

my point was while some were working, I was sitting on my lazy *** drinking a butt loads of cold bud lite's and stuffing myself with fresh BBQ of the grill. And got paid to do it lol.

Oh I did have to do a lil work though. When I dozed off for a minute I managed to spill my beer. So I had to almost break a sweat wiping it up. LOL
Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

worked an 11 hour day, no OT for commission techs, not complaining wouldve been bored at home
Old 06-02-2010, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 402GOAT
Blah blah blah blah blah and blah

my point was while some were working, I was sitting on my lazy *** drinking a butt loads of cold bud lite's and stuffing myself with fresh BBQ of the grill. And got paid to do it lol.

Oh I did have to do a lil work though. When I dozed off for a minute I managed to spill my beer. So I had to almost break a sweat wiping it up. LOL
Getting the day off must make you specia...................oh, wait.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:16 AM
12 Second Club

i worked on memorial day, 8hrs plus 8hrs holiday pay plus 4 hrs AUO, equals 20 hrs of win!
Old 06-03-2010, 07:28 AM
TECH Regular

If it makes you feel any better, for working 12 hrs I got paid 32, lol.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish they would let me work a holiday. We get 2x for working and our regular holiday pay. So that's 3x for 8 hours and 2x for anything past that.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Where do all ya'll work, I need to get some of them benefits.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contractor @ NASA in Houston. Never thought I would like a union.