Is this old news ? 2012 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
They want the z/28 to be like the old king of the ring basically. And they did just confirm it, thats why its posted. camaro5 forum had this a week or so ago, the whole conversation with like someone pretty high up in the chain basically.
I was referring to the linked page. Says "possibly confirmed," which don't mean squat, it's an oxymoron. If there is other news, such as camaro5, which DOES confirm it, then I will have to check it out.

I thought the SS was the king of the ring...? Which is why I am still confused.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
I was referring to the linked page. Says "possibly confirmed," which don't mean squat, it's an oxymoron. If there is other news, such as camaro5, which DOES confirm it, then I will have to check it out.

I thought the SS was the king of the ring...? Which is why I am still confused.
They are referring back to the roots, when with the z28 package you got a high compression circle track solid lifter high reving 302 w/ a 850 4 barrel. They were rated at 290ish hp, but current dyno's say that is about 100 hp off the mark. The SS received the 327 or the 396, and was much more standard. Back in the days (from my dad's standards) the z/28 was rarer and was produced in limited numbers. I think only 200 were built in 67. The z also came with a 5 speed vs a 4 speed.

With the introduction of the LT1 cars, the SS package was added on top of the z28 package to give, springs, ram air, tires, exhaust and so on (had been killed since the early 70's).

Guess they felt like going back to their roots.

With the fourth Gens. I'd hardly call the SS the king of the ring. As with the WS6, all the addon's are basically for looks.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redz_02
They are referring back to the roots, when with the z28 package you got a high compression circle track solid lifter high reving 302 w/ a 850 4 barrel. They were rated at 290ish hp, but current dyno's say that is about 100 hp off the mark. The SS received the 327 or the 396, and was much more standard. Back in the days (from my dad's standards) the z/28 was rarer and was produced in limited numbers. I think only 200 were built in 67. The z also came with a 5 speed vs a 4 speed.

With the introduction of the LT1 cars, the SS package was added on top of the z28 package to give, springs, ram air, tires, exhaust and so on (had been killed since the early 70's).

Guess they felt like going back to their roots.

With the fourth Gens. I'd hardly call the SS the king of the ring. As with the WS6, all the addon's are basically for looks.
Ahh ok, thats make more sense then. As far as the part in bold, yea you're are right about the cosmetic additions available in the SS, but they were rated at more power, even though, we all know, an LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1. I wouldn't call them king of the ring, but they are more, IMHO, more "prestigious"
Old 06-02-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
Ahh ok, thats make more sense then. As far as the part in bold, yea you're are right about the cosmetic additions available in the SS, but they were rated at more power, even though, we all know, an LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1. I wouldn't call them king of the ring, but they are more, IMHO, more "prestigious"
Very true.

Me being 29 was confused also. So I resorted to asking my pop's, he gave me the whole spill. I could see the confusion, as 95% of the market will be.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

given that i can find a dealer that will sell one without the premium tacked onto it , ill have to go pick one up. just gotta decide whether i want it to be cyber grey or white.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SHEEIT I DON'T NEED NO DAMN SOOPA CHARGA!!! JUST GIMME A BIGGER CAM!!!!
Old 06-03-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Pimp

Originally Posted by indigo28
^^^hater
I'm sorry forgive me, but who are you again? I must have missed it when you signed up here 5 years after me. See back then just like now I was too busy knowing things about these cars to care to ask for your opinion.

As far as this thread goes I love the idea, I just love the idea of all the losers eating their words more.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by _Zac
I'm sorry forgive me, but who are you again? I must have missed it when you signed up here 5 years after me. See back then just like now I was too busy knowing things about these cars to care to ask for your opinion.

As far as this thread goes I love the idea, I just love the idea of all the losers eating their words more.
Are you saying since both platforms will be super charged that somehow the gm is weaker for taking this step?
Old 06-03-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by THE SHOP
Are you saying since both platforms will be super charged that somehow the gm is weaker for taking this step?
Jeezus.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by _Zac

Zac , who? oh yea thats right i recognize the car from the rearview.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:42 AM
TECH Pimp

Originally Posted by THE SHOP
How you were able to make that out of what I wrote is amazing. No, that is not what I said. Go back and re-read it and I'm sure you will understand better the second time around. (Unless you are the type that I mentioned, then there is no hope for you.)

Old 06-04-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Pimp

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
Zac , who? oh yea thats right i recognize the car from the rearview.
Joe, you HAVE never and WILL never beat me. The end.

_Cobramaster#1