"Tricplate" Anyone heard of this thing? We all need this..

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Pimp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way I'm reading that it seems legal because it doesn't distort or cover the letters in any way. (Not while it's clear anyway.)
Old 06-16-2010, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would really depend on the cops interpretation. It's not as clear as it would be if the plastic were truly clear.

Like I said though, I seriously doubt you would have to worry much about having it.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

man that guy is really freaking out about this plate thing... as long as while its clear and doesn't cover any part of the plate you will be fine...
Old 06-16-2010, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

i seen this stuff bout 3 -4 years ago. if im not mistaken its a piece of glass not plastic. some offices and residential building have these as "privacy window".

liquid crystals - the same technology that's been used in digital watches and computer screens for years. Liquid crystals are sandwiched between two layers of transparent conductive film to make 3M Privacy Film. The film is then laminated between two pieces of glass by the glass manufacturer. When electricity is applied to the film the liquid crystals line up and the window is clear. When the power is turned off, the liquid crystals return to their normal positions and turn the glass from clear to frosted.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL at the second video! "I'm here to give you a demonstration or tricplate's new demonstration". Direct from the department of redundancy department. Ha, Ha!!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Veteran

I'd interpret it to be legal. It's not obscuring the license plate. The law was made to get rid of those smoked plate covers. Also, the whole TEXAS has to be visible at the top of the plate, and it looks like it'd clear all the letters. I'd like to get one for my bike.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

Cool as hell but this is definitely 100% illigal to have on your vehicle. With that said whether or not it would be noticed is another story however I don't think this display would show up well if it's really sunny outside. I think a DPS trooper would probably arrest you if caught since.. A plate must be visible at ALL TIMES even when unable to drive which could represent a dead battery. I will pass but good luck to anyone who buys this!

Last edited by ZL1SS; 06-17-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:40 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Strini SS
Duck Tape is the univeral tool for the LT1 Neil where u at....LMAO

B
It's good enough for Junior in Nascar, then by all means it's good enough for us LT1 folk. I know of at least one LT1, a white 30th, that had a nasty nitrous back fire on Rankin and the rubber intake elbow was duct taped back together, and they were still able to spray the car and drive it home that night. Dave how ever doesn't qualify as an LT1 owner because his car is super clean, inside and out.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those are sweet. Thinking about molding one into the bumper of my next 70's Trans Am project. Smooth it in to where you can't even tell it's there and paint over it. Would be kick *** for car shows.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:16 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL! I was just talking about this I think to Craig a couple of weeks ago.I thought about getting one, but I haven't ever really needed one so it would be one of those little gadgets that would be something to talk about at meets lol!
Old 06-17-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Pimp

Originally Posted by ZL1SS
I think a DPS trooper would probably arrest you if caught since it's not a state issued plate but rather a programmable screen. A plate must be visible at ALL TIMES even when unable to drive which could represent a dead battery. I will pass but good luck to anyone who buys this!
It's not a screen it's a clear plate cover that can black out with the switch of a button. The plate is still the normal issued one, just encased in this clear cover.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Can any law enforcement chime in on this? I know we have some representation on this board.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Cool, I would pimp it!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ZL1SS
Can any law enforcement chime in on this? I know we have some representation on this board.
I already threw my .02 in on it.

Originally Posted by LS69TA
It's not obscuring the license plate. The law was made to get rid of those smoked plate covers. Also, the whole TEXAS has to be visible at the top of the plate, and it looks like it'd clear all the letters.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i own one of these, jus not hooked up... mine's way simpler than that though...
Old 06-19-2010, 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by _Zac
Take it easy there killjoy.

It has plenty of uses. I would use it at the track so my plates wern't all over the internet.
Take two seconds and a screw driver and remove the plate?

Or is it dirty under there? =)

I wouldn't buy it, I know what everyone (including myself, IF I had one) would use it for.
Might as well just take it off. Car usually looks cleaner without it in the first place, or just put a nicer looking cutout over the plate.

I'm against doing anything to hampering a license plate anyway, I think that should be cracked down on, what happens if theres a major emergency and I need to take a tag down on the fly? If some tool had this or similar product obstructing the view of the plate I would pull them over regardless. Who knows what they're trying to get away with?
I have a hard enough time as it is making them out, I have great vision but I just can't read plates that fast for some reason.

Same thing with motorcyclists and putting the plate sideways and almost completely invisible in front of the rear tire.

**** pisses me off.

/rant.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Pimp

Originally Posted by happysem
Take two seconds and a screw driver and remove the plate?

Or is it dirty under there? =)

I wouldn't buy it, I know what everyone (including myself, IF I had one) would use it for.
Might as well just take it off. Car usually looks cleaner without it in the first place, or just put a nicer looking cutout over the plate.

I'm against doing anything to hampering a license plate anyway, I think that should be cracked down on, what happens if theres a major emergency and I need to take a tag down on the fly? If some tool had this or similar product obstructing the view of the plate I would pull them over regardless. Who knows what they're trying to get away with?
I have a hard enough time as it is making them out, I have great vision but I just can't read plates that fast for some reason.

Same thing with motorcyclists and putting the plate sideways and almost completely invisible in front of the rear tire.

**** pisses me off.

/rant.
How about front plates? I bet those give you the right to search people and their cars as well eh?

I only ask because some over the edge cops have already done that to me. When I asked what it was all about they told me they want the people of pearland to see they were out doing something.

I support all police, but lets use our common sense here. Who robs a bank in a bright yellow cobra with the top down, or a 78 trans am?

I only ask because I've been pulled over while sitting still in a parking lot for that. Is this a common thing, or is it harrasment like everyone else see's it?
Old 06-20-2010, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by _Zac
Who rides in a bright yellow cobra with the top down
Old 06-20-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rabiddog
lol ouch, but seriously... I don't care about front plates, at all.

Which is why none of my cars I've owned had them =)

I didn't mean it as to give the Po Po's a reason to pull you over and search for no reason, totally against that ****.

I just meant it as someone trying to be sneaky who got pulled over, maybe they would mess up or actually give the cop a reason to search or address whatever issue they legitimately find.

I dunno, maybe to me it just seems like another reason to get harassed, even if you weren't doing anything, I could easily see it happening.

If you're going to be doing anything that involves blocking your plate, might as well go all out...
Old 06-20-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Pimp

Originally Posted by rabiddog
Hot bitches.. duh...

There's always a method to my madness, if I wanted to pick up a bunch of dudes I would have bought a black Camaro.