70 Camaro Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

keep the ones you got for now. your money will be better spent on other things. ie: that cowl hood, suspension, drivetrain, engine, tranny etc etc. rims come last IMHO.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick question... You're 17 right? How many cars have you owned now? Lol. I remember seeing you a couple of years back driving your old ta on 518.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slash8915
Just a quick question... You're 17 right? How many cars have you owned now? Lol. I remember seeing you a couple of years back driving your old ta on 518.
Yup 17 lol.. Let's see
Blazer, 5 Camaro's, 2 Trans Am's, Mustang, Buick(pimp mobile), GTO, Chevelle plus 5 other cars but those don't really count.. So 12? Lol.. I swear I am missing one though.

That black T/A was bad ***, thing was fast too, probably faster than my WS6. Only down fall was 6mpg but that thing would turn some heads. I really liked the Chevelle a lot though, I think that and the old T/A are right up there for my favorite classic car.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got a little bit done on the T/A, had a couple bent brackets I need to find at the junkyard. The bumper is a bit worse than I thought it would be but if I can't find one at the junkyard I will have to make it work.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
keep the ones you got for now. your money will be better spent on other things. ie: that cowl hood, suspension, drivetrain, engine, tranny etc etc. rims come last IMHO.
I completely agree with you. I just recently started working on the car again since work seems to be picking up and all this s#!t is expensive. I will be getting willwood brakes all around, roughly $1500, springs and shocks may be another $500, efi tank maybe up in the $500 area, too along with the steering box and links. Will still need the tranny crossmember, fuel lines, materials for the frame, interior work, dash, guages, maybe a good clutch and slave for the t56 and custom driveshaft, tires, better gears for the rear end, tune up, modify my own harness, and odds and ends(sensors etc.). All this may be upwards of $5000, Include another $2000 if I go with BMR's torque arm suspension for second gens.

Damn! Thats alot of f n money.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

bent your aprin up pretty good, hope it all still fits right
Old 07-23-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup, no frame damage or anything though. The metal that's bent is very thin and only "cosmetic".

Expect some updates on the bodywork for the Camaro tomorrow though guys.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zamora7
I completely agree with you. I just recently started working on the car again since work seems to be picking up and all this s#!t is expensive. I will be getting willwood brakes all around, roughly $1500, springs and shocks may be another $500, efi tank maybe up in the $500 area, too along with the steering box and links. Will still need the tranny crossmember, fuel lines, materials for the frame, interior work, dash, guages, maybe a good clutch and slave for the t56 and custom driveshaft, tires, better gears for the rear end, tune up, modify my own harness, and odds and ends(sensors etc.). All this may be upwards of $5000, Include another $2000 if I go with BMR's torque arm suspension for second gens.

Damn! Thats alot of f n money.
5K That's cheap! My ecu, tcu and wiring harness were close to $1500. Hotchkis TVS will run you $1200 which is springs and sway bars. You can modify the existing harness for $375 For the t56 install you have to modify the trans tunnel buy a new drive shaft. You can modify you own powersteering no need for new steering box. For you to have this car Nice or presentable get ready to spend at least 10k. It adds up quickly.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude I apologize. I didn't mean to ***** up your thread. I also don't want to discourage you on your car. It will be a nice ride once you are done. I wish you well.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Started tearing into the quarters today. I was thinking oh no biggie, some fiberglass over the pin holes and were all good. But under that bondo was some nasty holes and some horrible patchwork filled with bondo. The left quarter wasn't too bad but the right one was nasty. I cut out quite a bit of the right quarter and patched it but I still need to patch the trunk drop offs. Of course we have the shittiest welder in Texas so all my welds look horrible. I spent an hour just trying to set the damn thing up but the welds are good and the metal isn't going anywhere.

This week my friend is going to grind it back down and clean up my work and then we will smooth it out with filler. But I got a lot done today, all of the hard work is done now and will be smooth sailing from here. I just ran out of time which is why the patch work looks shitty but it will be cleaned up soon.

Last edited by retardedpenguin; 07-24-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

ouch.

good luck. i'm really curious to see what the rest of the car looks like under the paint.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
ouch.

good luck. i'm really curious to see what the rest of the car looks like under the paint.
I ground down a couple other areas and it all looks pretty good.

Luckily the "frame" of the right quarter was still good so I had something to build off of. But as you can see I still have some more patching and welding to do. Honestly all I have to do is spend another day on the quarters and the car is pretty much finished. Sanding down the waves and paint chips won't take anytime at all.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

My car had the same problems in the same areas. Its very common on these cars. I think you got a good car for the price. My car is on the ground as of noon today. Now I need to run brake lines for the 4th gen master cylinder and rear rear calipers. Then its driveable.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
My car had the same problems in the same areas. Its very common on these cars. I think you got a good car for the price. My car is on the ground as of noon today. Now I need to run brake lines for the 4th gen master cylinder and rear rear calipers. Then its driveable.
Do your traction bars ever catch? My 73 had them like yours and I couldn't ever imagine driving it, it seems like they would catch on stuff and rip your rear end out.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

On everything. I have gotten rid of them and built my own caltracs now.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What do you guys think of these? Rushforth livewires.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

I like, alot.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Did you fix the Trunk Extensions or did you just leave them like that.. They look pretty full of holes.. If you did leave them like that then any work you are doing is pointless..
Old 07-28-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
What do you guys think of these? Rushforth livewires.

lol you crack me up dude.

i would focus on getting the car painted first....but to answer your question, yeah those are nice.(but they do you no good and are probably out of your price range)
Old 07-28-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't got to the trunk extension yet but they will he fixed. . If the rain quits tomorrow I will finish the car and it will be painted when they have time. Thinking of going black tho.

Quick Reply: 70 Camaro Build